any suggestions on proxy setup for connection within a LAN..

any suggestions on proxy setup for connection within a LAN..

Post by stompbo » Fri, 18 May 2001 17:00:27

greetings,

anyone know of any suggestions of how to connect every PC within a LAN
to the internet running a Win environment through my BSD server? ive
read stuff about sock5 and NAT and others...dont know whats the best
setup...appreciate any suggestions...

any suggestions on proxy setup for connection within a LAN..

Post by Kris Anderso » Fri, 18 May 2001 18:47:56

One solution,

What I've done, is set up my freeBSD system as a gateway and that works well
enough for me.

I had to reconfigure the kernel with a couple of statements then recompile
it and voila, up and going.  Just be sure to turn off any services you don't
need, sendmail, ftp or what have you to the machine that will be doing
gateway stuff.  If you do need those services might I suggest using ssh to
do the work.

HTH

Quote:> greetings,

> anyone know of any suggestions of how to connect every PC within a LAN
> to the internet running a Win environment through my BSD server? ive
> read stuff about sock5 and NAT and others...dont know whats the best
> setup...appreciate any suggestions...

any suggestions on proxy setup for connection within a LAN..

Post by Stephen Montgomery-Smit » Fri, 18 May 2001 22:06:48

It depends upon whether each of the Win boxes has their own
IP address.  If not then you will want to use natd along with
a firewall (I use ipfw) so that all the Win boxes have their
own internal IP addresses.  Then if you want the Win boxes
to use network printers or shared files, then you want to
install samba on your FreeBSD box.

--
Stephen Montgomery-Smith

http://www.math.missouri.edu/~stephen

any suggestions on proxy setup for connection within a LAN..

Post by Alex » Mon, 21 May 2001 08:45:03

NAT is usefull if you use privite ip's to go on the net trough a server
(public ip).
SOCK is usefull if you use programma's that need a connetion to a private
ip. Like napster, imesh and. There program's wil not work 100% with out it.

Quote:> greetings,

> anyone know of any suggestions of how to connect every PC within a LAN
> to the internet running a Win environment through my BSD server? ive
> read stuff about sock5 and NAT and others...dont know whats the best
> setup...appreciate any suggestions...

1. Need help on Linux setup LAN within LAN

Hi,

   I'm using RH7.2 on my research lab trying to run a small Intranet
within my college. I have primary name server from my LAN
administrator and a gateway from him so that my machines can browse
the Net.
   Okay, here's my question :

   I'm setting up a RH7.2 linux server for this few computers for
Intranet trial run, running Mail,Usenet and Web server. Given that all
the other computers in the organisation is given a DHCP meaning
dynamic ip address from my SysAdmin, he advises me to simply put a
static ip(10.1.100.100) on my Linux box and make use of that instead
of dynamic ip.
   My request is that, shall i set up a DNS server too so that other
machine can refer to labtest.collegelab.edu instead of using
10.1.100.100 ? If i need a DNS server, what shall i do to set it up ?
   Can anyone point me to any tutorials or manuals/doc that i must go
through ?

Thank you.

Regards,
Grant

2. NeXTStep, afterstep and bowman?

3. sharing ISDN connection costs within a LAN???

4. Has 'ps' changed in slakware 3.5?

5. How to share dial-up internet connection within the LAN ?

6. Unable to access file from remote mounted filesystem

7. How to share 56k dial-up internet connection within the LAN ?

8. storeonline

9. can i setup a nameserver within a LAN??

10. redirecting all port 80 requests on internal lan to squid proxy on external lan

11. need help with LAN connection setup

12. : help setup solaries 8 for lan connection

13. How do I setup a LAN connection under Suse 10 / KDE ?