Please help.. major problem with vinum

Post by Bas v.d. Wie » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 05:21:10

Hi there,
Please.. PLEASE help me with this if you can, I'm in a total state of panic
right now. The short version:

I did a create -f /etc/vinum.conf on an edited configuration file that
already had existing objects in it to activate a new volume, and now I can't
access my previously existing concatenated volume anymore. Major panic..
since that volume was my backup.

The long version:

I created a concatenated volume called backup to temporarily hold a lot of
important files while I convert an existing hardware RAID volume to vinum
(hardware RAID=really cheap FastTrak 100 Lite, which doesn't support custom
stripe sizes). This new backup volume consists of 2 disks of 120GB each (ad2
and ad3).
I created a backup copy of everything on /dev/ar0 onto my new backup volume.

I went about converting the two disks in /dev/ar0 (ad4 and ad6) to a vinum
array by first changing the controller BIOS back to a regular 2-channel
ATA100 with a jumper. Then I destroyed the RAID configuration using
atacontrol. Everything still going according to plan, but now I'm getting to
my mistake.

I edited /etc/vinum.conf to add a striped volume named 'server' to my
system. The syntax of this was correct as the empty striped volume is very
nicely usable. HOWEVER, I typed create -f /etc/vinum.conf to create my new
'server' volume.. which turned out to be a very BAD idea. :o(

The result: a perfectly accessible /dev/vinum/server and a corrupt (?)
/dev/vinum/backup.

I can mount /dev/vinum/backup onto /backup and see its root directory. This
contains a subdirectory named 030625 in which _ALL_ my files are supposed to
be. But whenever I try to cd to it, it fails with an i/o error. An fsck on
/dev/vinum/backup results in partition table errors: "CANNOT FIGURE OUT FILE
SYSTEM PARTITION" just after it reports problems reading a couple of
consecutive blocks near the end of the volume. Please tell me that this can
be fixed... recovering from this could take months otherwise.

Bas

1. Please help.. major problem with vinum

Hi there,
Sorry for the multipost, this is also on comp.unix.bsd.freebsd, but please..
[...]

2. RedHat Upgrade to 4.0

3. PLEASE PLEASE HELP Major problem with my SCSI & Redhat 5.0 PLEASE Help

4. Machine hangs when quitting openwin

5. Slackware 3.4 MAJOR install problems. Please Help!

6. DNS & virtual homing: clash of the titans?

7. ***MAJOR PROBLEM*** ***Please Help***

8. NFS between Redhat 7.2 and Solaris 7

9. MAJOR Sendmail/Solaris 2.4 problem, please help

10. Major Mouse Problems - Please Help

11. Major problems with RedHat 5.1 / Gateway P2-400, IBM 10GB drive - please help!

12. PLEASE HELP!!!!! MAJOR SERIAL PROBLEMS!

13. MAJOR Problem with P60,PCI Harddrive!!! Please help.