file backup

Post by Scot » Fri, 06 Jun 2003 23:30:29

I am running the port "Samba" for a file server for windows clients. I want
to backup the data daily. And always have a 1 weeks worth of backup. Is
there a utility that can do this?
Would rsync work?

file backup

Post by Lowell Gilber » Sat, 07 Jun 2003 05:43:27

comp.unix.bsd.freebsd is not widely propagated, so you won't
necessarily get much help here (in comp.unix.bsd.freebsd).
See http://www.freebsd.org/support.html for better ideas...
[followups redirected accordingly]

> I am running the port "Samba" for a file server for windows clients. I want
> to backup the data daily. And always have a 1 weeks worth of backup. Is
> there a utility that can do this?

Lots.  The fact that the data is getting in via Samba is irrelevant;
it's just a normal Unix backup issue.

Quote:> Would rsync work?

Sure, although it wouldn't be that good at keeping all of the various
versions that have been backed up.  dump(8) is the canonical one, but
tar(1) is also a good approach, especially when you're worrying about
a specific subdirectory tree that doesn't happen to also be a mount point.

1. Safe, Robust file-by-file backups.

There are many very sophisticated backup programs for PCs which offer very
flexible, user-friendly operation and advanced features such as error-
correcting coding, compression and the ability to recover the maximum possible
information from damaged media.

However, many Unix admins I know back up with TAR or image backups and haven't
got any idea what to do if 1 bit in the TAR file became corrupted. My objective
is to implement file by file backups with the maximum in data recovery
possibilities. We have sysV and SunOS machines. I would greatly appreciate
the effort if those with experience in this area could share their knowledge
of the specific products and techniques and their relative merits from a
data safety point of view.

I will summarize to the newsgroup if the response justifies it.

Thanks in advance, Carl Krasnor

Carl Krasnor, Communications Research Lab, McMaster U., Hamilton, Ont. CANADA

2. sys-unconfig for sun linux?

3. Daily file backup script: Q1 reg exp for dot files Q2 gnu find

4. Can't get 8 bpp mode!

5. Open File Manager (open file backup) for Linux?

6. Randomly Changing MAC Address

7. Sybase Open File backup

8. AA fonts, how to tell if they're actually working?

9. AIX open file backups

10. Incremental File Backups

11. Request for file backup info

12. Linux box as Windoze file/backup server?

13. a large file backup into floppy