Network timeout (Compaq DeskPro freebsd 5.0 Release)

Network timeout (Compaq DeskPro freebsd 5.0 Release)

Post by Nagg » Thu, 05 Jun 2003 23:58:46

Hi,

After a moment of network inactivity, my network goes down. Unable to
ping FreeBSD systems without rebooting the whole machines and switch.

I use eepro100 ethernet interfaces, the same as Nokia uses into their
firewalls. Because of that, I am surprised to have network outages so
often ;-)

Without apmd around, could you gime your ideas?

I believe, there is a timeout somewhere???

Thanks,

Naggle

Network timeout (Compaq DeskPro freebsd 5.0 Release)

Post by Lowell Gilber » Fri, 06 Jun 2003 20:45:35

comp.unix.bsd.freebsd is not widely propagated, so you won't
necessarily get much help here (in comp.unix.bsd.freebsd).
See http://www.freebsd.org/support.html for better ideas...
[followups redirected accordingly]

> After a moment of network inactivity, my network goes down. Unable to
> ping FreeBSD systems without rebooting the whole machines and switch.

Does bringing the *interface* down and back up help?

Quote:> I use eepro100 ethernet interfaces, the same as Nokia uses into their
> firewalls. Because of that, I am surprised to have network outages so
> often ;-)

Well, yes, but they probably stick with production-quality releases of
the operating system.

Quote:> Without apmd around, could you gime your ideas?

apmd isn't likely to be relevant.  Having apm in the kernel could be;
if you aren't using it, remove it completely (not just disabled,
remove it).

Quote:> I believe, there is a timeout somewhere???

I have no idea what you mean, but I don't think there's any programmed
timeout that would affect this.

1. SuSE Linus 5.0 on Compaq Deskpro?

Hi all,

I'm trying to install SuSE Linux 5.0 on a Compaq Dekspro system. If I
put in the CD or boot from floppy, it starts LILO and the kernel, but
about where it tries to detect IDE, it imnmediately reboots - I don't
even have the occasion to read what's on the screen. The system has
NT4.0 preinstalled, but 1.2gb is still free (FAT). Maybe it is just a
question of kernel parameters? Here's my setup as far as I know of:

Compaq Deskpro 4000, Pentium Pro II/MMX, 233 MHz
Rom revision 18.4.97, set 686G6
Video resvision 1.20 Cirrus CL-GD5446 sMB,
RAM 2x16MB EDO
EIDE integrated (Intel),
CD: Matshita CD-ROM CR-583 (revision 1.05),
disk EIDE 2555.7MB,
Audio ESS ES1788 16-Bit,
Ethernet NetFlex-3 Controller (on board)

Any help would be highly welcome.. thanks much!

                                Andy

==>>     Andreas Greulich
==>>     Swiss Federal Office of Information Technology and Systems
==>>     Feldeggweg 1 - CH-3003 Bern - Switzerland
==>>     Phone:  ++41 31 325 80 86
==>>     Fax:      ++41 31 325 90 30
==>>     X.400:   G=Andreas;S=Greulich;O=bfi;A=admin;C=ch

2. using 14gb 8mm tape drive to write tapes for 2gb tape drive

3. reboot hangs on FreeBSD 4.1 on Compaq Deskpro

4. IDE controller on new Dell Dimension 4500?

5. Compaq/Deskpro/XL/Pentium-Pro -Networking

6. SEGV signal when debugging a multithreaded program with dbx

7. Compaq Deskpro Network card

8. Strange Swap Behavior

9. Compaq Deskpro 4000/6000 Network Card

10. Will Linux run on a Compaq Deskpro 66M with Compaq SCSI-2?

11. new Compaq Deskpro EN on NT DHCP network?

12. Linux and Compaq Deskpro P120 buiktin network card

13. Compaq DeskPro 5100 & AMD Network Controller