Nvdia driver problems

Post by Mikael Jacobs » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 20:10:22

I tried downloading and installing the Nvidia drivers for FreeBSD the
other day after upgrading my system from 4.6.2 to 4.7.

After following the installation instructions and rebooting I just got
the Nvidia logo instead of xdm, the only command my box would listen
to was ctrl+alt+del.

The machine has a GeForce2 MX400 and the mobo is an Asus A7V133-C
(KT133A chipset)
XFree86 version is 4.2.0

Part of XF86Config:
########
Section "Module"
    Load       "dbe"   # Double buffer extension
    Load       "type1"
    Load       "freetype"
    Load       "extmod"
    Load       "bitmap"
    Load       "glx"
EndSection
Section "Device"
    Identifier  "NVIDIA GeForce"
    Driver      "nvidia"
    VendorName  "NVidia"
    BoardName   "GeForce2 MX/MX 400"
    BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
    Option      "NvAgp" "0"
EndSection
#########
I have also tried commenting out "Load "glx"", that resulted in X
starting but crashing as soon as I tried to run anything and bringing
down the system with it. I added 'BusID "PCI:1:0:0"' after someone
said that it might help solve my problem, it didn't but it didn't
change any error messages so I kept it...

XFree86.log.0 snippet:
#########
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to obtain a shared memory identifier.
#########
I have added SYSVSHM and USER_LDT to my kernel config so that
shouldn't be the problem...

/Mikael

Nvdia driver problems

Post by Lowell Gilber » Thu, 14 Nov 2002 00:25:21

comp.unix.bsd.freebsd is not widely propagated, so you won't
necessarily get much help here.
See http://www.freebsd.org/support.html for better ideas...
<followups redirected accordingly>

> I tried downloading and installing the Nvidia drivers for FreeBSD the
> other day after upgrading my system from 4.6.2 to 4.7.

> After following the installation instructions and rebooting I just got
> the Nvidia logo instead of xdm, the only command my box would listen
> to was ctrl+alt+del.

> The machine has a GeForce2 MX400 and the mobo is an Asus A7V133-C
> (KT133A chipset)
> XFree86 version is 4.2.0

Try going to the latest.  [4.2.1, if I remember correctly.]
People seem to be having a little more success with that.

1. Debian 3.0 : need help with nvdia drivers

I've installed Debian 3.0 but I can't run my x server with the "nv" drivers.
Whenever I choose "nv", it tells me : "no screens found".
The only way for me to start x is to choose the basic ugly "vesa" drivers
which come in 320*200 and which is, needless to say, useless.
As I'm pretty much a Linux newbie (been using MDK9 for 3 weeks, just
installed Debian Woody today), I'm a bit at a loss as to how to install
nvidia drivers.
It was no problem with MDK as the drivers came in .rpm form. The problem is
that there's no .deb nvidia files so I guess I'll have to compile the kernel
myself *gulp* :(
I'd be very happy if someone could point me to a place where kernel
compilation with nvidia drivers for Woody is explained (dummy version if
possible).
Thanks in advance.

2. ANSI or VT100...or can I get both?

3. gcc 3.0.3 and NVdia driver

4. Mail with attachments, uuencode and HP-UX 11

5. 2.5.21 nvdia kernel module

6. Looking for a free AIX server

7. Extremely slow GeForce with NVDIA

8. ADDED information for Xconfig in Xwindow

9. NVdia, why is it not like others?

10. Can't install LinuxPPC Q4 2000 on PowerMac G4 with Nvdia GeFOrce 3

11. nvdia and tvcards

12. xf86config file for nvdia?

13. My first device driver, problems, devfsadm: driver failed to attach: