Questions concerning FreeBSD 4.4

Post by Cedric Von » Sat, 05 Jan 2002 05:29:11

1) Is it possible to install FreeBsd on the second (empty) harddisk?
2) How do I boot then between W2K (for development under VB)and FreeBSD?
2.1) Do I use the bootmananger of W2K or FreeBSD or another one?
3) I am connected to the internet by PPPoA (Alcatel Speedtouch USB Modem)
That's under W2K.  That is no problem to connecting to Net.
3.1) I have the following files:
          speedtouch-1_0.tar
          userppp-013007.tar
What would I do next?
How do you install these files?
I have read the FAQ and I don't understand how to install it.
4) What is VPI and VCI?
4.1) I live in Belgium, does somebody know my numbers?

Thnx!!

Questions concerning FreeBSD 4.4

Post by ../ » Sun, 06 Jan 2002 09:31:02

Quote:> 1) Is it possible to install FreeBsd on the second (empty) harddisk?
> 2) How do I boot then between W2K (for development under VB)and FreeBSD?
> 2.1) Do I use the bootmananger of W2K or FreeBSD or another one?
> 3) I am connected to the internet by PPPoA (Alcatel Speedtouch USB Modem)
> That's under W2K.  That is no problem to connecting to Net.
> 3.1) I have the following files:
>           speedtouch-1_0.tar
>           userppp-013007.tar
> What would I do next?
> How do you install these files?
> I have read the FAQ and I don't understand how to install it.
> 4) What is VPI and VCI?
> 4.1) I live in Belgium, does somebody know my numbers?

> Thnx!!

1) Yes
2) W2K boot manager, or osbs. I personally prefer the newer osbs2 (beta),
has better support for a lot of things.
2.1) see 2)
3) Does FreeBSD detect it, if so, then setting up PPPoE I've never done
myself but I think it's in the handbook, if not, try searching google.com
i've seen ltos of how-to's on that.
3.1) I personally don't know what those files are, or for. run: tar xvf
file.tar and see.
4) Many acronyms, in what context are you refering to?
4.1) Nope, Canada here, sorry.

Questions concerning FreeBSD 4.4

Post by Cedric Von » Sun, 06 Jan 2002 18:26:08

Quote:> 1) Yes
> 2) W2K boot manager, or osbs. I personally prefer the newer osbs2 (beta),
> has better support for a lot of things.
> 2.1) see 2)
> 3) Does FreeBSD detect it, if so, then setting up PPPoE I've never done
> myself but I think it's in the handbook, if not, try searching google.com
> i've seen ltos of how-to's on that.
> 3.1) I personally don't know what those files are, or for. run: tar xvf
> file.tar and see.
> 4) Many acronyms, in what context are you refering to?
> 4.1) Nope, Canada here, sorry.

VPI and VCI are explained here
http://www.xsproject.org/speedtouch/INSTALL

btw thnx!

1. FreeBSD 4.4 PRERELEASE And Samba configuration question

I've recently upgraded my FreeBSD 4.0 box to FreeBSD 4.4 Prerelease and am
trying to configure Samba the "right" way. Under 4.0, it never really worked
right - entirely my fault, I know. I hacked the source to ignore the
permissioning structure entirely (yeah I know, it's a major security hole
but it's behind a firewall so it's OK).

Anyway, I'm now interested in doing it "right". I've done a make/make
install in the /usr/ports directory. It appears to run just fine, but I have
two problems:

1) The FreeBSD box shows up in all of my windows clients as it should. If I
double click on the FreeBSD machine's icon from any of my Windows boxes, I
get "Beacon is not accessible. The account is not authoritzed to log in from
this station."

2) If I attempt to map a drive to any of the shares that are available on
that machine, I get "The mapped network drive could not be created because
the following error has occurred. The account is not authorized to log in
from this station."

Obviously I'm doing something fundamentally wrong. The user ID I have on my
Windows box is the same as it is under the FreeBSD box (with the same
password) but nothing I do seems to be able to get rid of this. So my
questions are as follows:

1) How do I set up my Samba box to allow anyone to browse the shares
available? I have the browseable=yes tag set in each one of the shares.

2) How do I get rid of this bloody error message?

I've poured over the Samba documentation and can't map the components and
examples it gives to my specific setup. It's really simple, actually. Just a
simple workgroup (not using a domain) with a few clients on it I'd like to
link all together. The user IDs and passwords are the same on the Windows
boxes as they are under Samba.

If anyone has pointers to additional documentation on this or can recommend
the proper way to get rid of this message, I'd very much appreciate it.
Thank you!

-->Neil

2. RealPlayer vs. streaming mpeg format

3. Question about freebsd 4.4 install

4. mkdir and cp memory problems

5. Simple FreeBSD 4.4 installation questions - dir time and root shell

6. modem problems

7. FreeBSD 4.4 and Soudblaster Live! = No Sound

8. Help for SMP

9. Kerberos support in NFS for FreeBSD 4.4?

10. installing a new HDD[NEWBIE]{FreeBSD 4.4}

11. FreeBSD 4.4 as gateway...

12. FreeBSD 4.4, sshd logging

13. Is the card bus supported by FreeBSD 4.4