Trouble Installing

Post by Kris » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 09:09:02

Help...  I have tried to install FreeBSD three times and keep running into
problems.  There are several things that seem to be wrong, most importantly
that I get a message during the install saying I don't have enough hard
drive space.  The drive is 500MB, and is working correctly, as the installer
sees it as a 500MB drive and lets me create 500MB worth of partitions (it
also had win98 running just fine on it before I started trying to install
FreeBSD).  The install guide says that if I have more than 200MB of hard
drive space then the standard install should work fine.  I'm using FreeBSD
5.1.  Was that 200MB figure perhaps for an older version?  I've tried
various partition arrangements including the default, but I always get "out
of hd space" errors.  These errors don't usually come up until late in the
install, and it aborts some packages, but then after I quit the installer I
can boot up and there is some free space on the drive.  Not a ton of space,
but at least 30-50MB in /usr and /var.

I have a fairly simple objective.  I want to set up FreeBSD as a text only
operating system.  I will use it to fiddle around with C programming and to
set up a web server to practice making cgi's on.  It seems that this should
be do-able with a 500MB hard drive.  Could someone give me some pointers on
why I keep running out of space?

Also, I would like the computer to connect to the network through a DHCP
server, but I can't figure out how to set it to do that.  I'm not sure the
NIC is installed, because I don't see anything about it in the boot
sequence, and ifconfig doesn't list anything but the two loopback entries.
My NIC is NE2000 compatible.  I don't know the manufacturer, but the model
is WS-E200.  I was hoping to try installing the ed(4) driver for it, but the
directory where the install guide says that should be is empty (perhaps due
to the install errors).

Trouble Installing

Post by Seele Varcuzz » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 09:33:44

are you doing the regular or expert or expert custom install?  are you choosing a base package (ie, developer, user, user+xwindows) or custom selecting stuff?  you could be installing x11 with tons of shit, or tons of libraries you might not need.  try doing the expert custom and custom choose all of your packages and see how that goes.

-- seele

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 17:09:02 -0700

> Help...  I have tried to install FreeBSD three times and keep running into
> problems.  There are several things that seem to be wrong, most importantly
> that I get a message during the install saying I don't have enough hard
> drive space.  The drive is 500MB, and is working correctly, as the installer
> sees it as a 500MB drive and lets me create 500MB worth of partitions (it
> also had win98 running just fine on it before I started trying to install
> FreeBSD).  The install guide says that if I have more than 200MB of hard
> drive space then the standard install should work fine.  I'm using FreeBSD
> 5.1.  Was that 200MB figure perhaps for an older version?  I've tried
> various partition arrangements including the default, but I always get "out
> of hd space" errors.  These errors don't usually come up until late in the
> install, and it aborts some packages, but then after I quit the installer I
> can boot up and there is some free space on the drive.  Not a ton of space,
> but at least 30-50MB in /usr and /var.

> I have a fairly simple objective.  I want to set up FreeBSD as a text only
> operating system.  I will use it to fiddle around with C programming and to
> set up a web server to practice making cgi's on.  It seems that this should
> be do-able with a 500MB hard drive.  Could someone give me some pointers on
> why I keep running out of space?

> Also, I would like the computer to connect to the network through a DHCP
> server, but I can't figure out how to set it to do that.  I'm not sure the
> NIC is installed, because I don't see anything about it in the boot
> sequence, and ifconfig doesn't list anything but the two loopback entries.
> My NIC is NE2000 compatible.  I don't know the manufacturer, but the model
> is WS-E200.  I was hoping to try installing the ed(4) driver for it, but the
> directory where the install guide says that should be is empty (perhaps due
> to the install errors).

> Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Trouble Installing

Post by Lowell Gilber » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 12:11:02

comp.unix.bsd.freebsd is not widely propagated, so you won't
necessarily get much help here (in comp.unix.bsd.freebsd).
See http://www.freebsd.org/support.html for better ideas...
[followups redirected accordingly]

> Help...  I have tried to install FreeBSD three times and keep running into
> problems.  There are several things that seem to be wrong, most importantly
> that I get a message during the install saying I don't have enough hard
> drive space.  The drive is 500MB, and is working correctly, as the installer
> sees it as a 500MB drive and lets me create 500MB worth of partitions (it
> also had win98 running just fine on it before I started trying to install
> FreeBSD).  The install guide says that if I have more than 200MB of hard
> drive space then the standard install should work fine.  I'm using FreeBSD
> 5.1.  Was that 200MB figure perhaps for an older version?  I've tried
> various partition arrangements including the default, but I always get "out
> of hd space" errors.  These errors don't usually come up until late in the
> install, and it aborts some packages, but then after I quit the installer I
> can boot up and there is some free space on the drive.  Not a ton of space,
> but at least 30-50MB in /usr and /var.

Where do those errors come up, exactly?  They might be either in the
real disk, as you're trying to analyze, or they might be in the memory
disks during the install.

Also, please remember that 5.x is not yet considered "production use
quality" by the release team.  You really should be reading the
-CURRENT mailing list if you're running 5.x.  If that's too much
effort, you're better off sticking with 4.x until the release team
says otherwise.

Quote:> Also, I would like the computer to connect to the network through a DHCP
> server, but I can't figure out how to set it to do that.  I'm not sure the
> NIC is installed, because I don't see anything about it in the boot
> sequence, and ifconfig doesn't list anything but the two loopback entries.
> My NIC is NE2000 compatible.  I don't know the manufacturer, but the model
> is WS-E200.  I was hoping to try installing the ed(4) driver for it, but the
> directory where the install guide says that should be is empty (perhaps due
> to the install errors).

The ed(4) driver is built into the GENERIC kernel, so you should be
fine there.  If it's not being detected by the kernel at boot time,
maybe it's not so NE2000-compatible after all.  I haven't seen the
dmesg, though, so I'm just guessing.

Trouble Installing

Post by Kris » Thu, 26 Jun 2003 13:38:56

I've been choosing a base package (the minimal one, and I tried one other, I
think it was "user without X-win."  As for the other add-ons, I've tried to
select only the programs I really thought I'd need.

> are you doing the regular or expert or expert custom install?  are you
> choosing a base package (ie, developer, user, user+xwindows) or custom
> selecting stuff?  you could be installing x11 with tons of shit, or tons of
> libraries you might not need.  try doing the expert custom and custom choose
> all of your packages and see how that goes.

> -- seele

> On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 17:09:02 -0700

>> Help...  I have tried to install FreeBSD three times and keep running into
>> problems.  There are several things that seem to be wrong, most importantly
>> that I get a message during the install saying I don't have enough hard
>> drive space.  The drive is 500MB, and is working correctly, as the installer
>> sees it as a 500MB drive and lets me create 500MB worth of partitions (it
>> also had win98 running just fine on it before I started trying to install
>> FreeBSD).  The install guide says that if I have more than 200MB of hard
>> drive space then the standard install should work fine.  I'm using FreeBSD
>> 5.1.  Was that 200MB figure perhaps for an older version?  I've tried
>> various partition arrangements including the default, but I always get "out
>> of hd space" errors.  These errors don't usually come up until late in the
>> install, and it aborts some packages, but then after I quit the installer I
>> can boot up and there is some free space on the drive.  Not a ton of space,
>> but at least 30-50MB in /usr and /var.

>> I have a fairly simple objective.  I want to set up FreeBSD as a text only
>> operating system.  I will use it to fiddle around with C programming and to
>> set up a web server to practice making cgi's on.  It seems that this should
>> be do-able with a 500MB hard drive.  Could someone give me some pointers on
>> why I keep running out of space?

>> Also, I would like the computer to connect to the network through a DHCP
>> server, but I can't figure out how to set it to do that.  I'm not sure the
>> NIC is installed, because I don't see anything about it in the boot
>> sequence, and ifconfig doesn't list anything but the two loopback entries.
>> My NIC is NE2000 compatible.  I don't know the manufacturer, but the model
>> is WS-E200.  I was hoping to try installing the ed(4) driver for it, but the
>> directory where the install guide says that should be is empty (perhaps due
>> to the install errors).

>> Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

1. Red Hat RPM troubles: installed and not installed at the same time

(sorry for using such a mysterious e mail address, I get so much
advertising junk from each posting at newsgroup)

I try to install msql.  It fails because of missing .h files that are
in the kernel-header rpm package.

if I install kernel-header it says it is installed, cannot be
installed.

If I try rpm -V it says kernel-header is NOT installed.  I tried
uninstall (does not work), --force (still the same contradictory
messages, does not fix the situation)

What is wrong?? Any rpm option that gives more sensible info?  How can
something be installed and not be installed at the same time?  I tried
uninstall, does not work either, says it is not installed.

Next try: I get the more recent version of kernel-headers from the 4.2
distribution.  Is this a problem???  Can I install certain modules
from 4.2 into my 4.1 distribution??  Should I download the entire 4.2
distribution (I would rather not)

PLEASE ANSWER DIRECTLY TO MY E MAIL

Also, advice for installation of perl moduless, especially for
database/mSQL, installation of mSQL and PHP is more than welcome.  I
guess there is no rpm for this, it needs to be instaled the standard
way??

I believe when I installed RedHat 4.1, I did not install the
development C files.  Now all installations fail, I slowly install
missing kernel-headers, c development libraries.  Any standard install
that gets all these things at once??

2. Setting alarms in shell scripts

3. Trouble installing GNU C from Red Hat 6.0 CD

4. Threads/C++/f77 +common blocks/

5. Trouble installing Digital DE204 card

6. Sane compilation ate my ram!

7. trouble installing Solaris8

8. Q: closing rogue sockets?

9. Trouble Installing SCO Unix on my Pentium PC

10. newbie: trouble installing redhat 6.2

11. trouble installing slakware 3.0

12. Trouble installing SLS 0.99pl6 : "wrong disk"

13. Troubles installing Epson stylus color 440