System Freeze - Sendmail 8.12.9 on FreeBSD 4.7

System Freeze - Sendmail 8.12.9 on FreeBSD 4.7

Post by DeGuilo, Sco » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 23:57:25

I have a FreeBSD 4.7 system that is minimally configured running
Sendmail 8.12.9 that runs very smoothly most of the time.  However
once a month or less it simply freezes.  The system is still ping-able
but it does not respond to port 25 requests, telnet or console
keystrokes.  There is no core dump but the only way to recover the
system is to hard-boot it (power cycle).  The system does run DNS
caching and I suspect that perhaps DNS is somehow involved in the
problem.

Has anyone seen this and if so are there any suggestions for
resolution?

Thanks,
std

System Freeze - Sendmail 8.12.9 on FreeBSD 4.7

Post by Lowell Gilber » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 06:21:14

comp.unix.bsd.freebsd is not widely propagated, so you won't
necessarily get much help here (in comp.unix.bsd.freebsd).
See http://www.freebsd.org/support.html for better ideas...
[followups redirected accordingly]

> I have a FreeBSD 4.7 system that is minimally configured running
> Sendmail 8.12.9 that runs very smoothly most of the time.  However
> once a month or less it simply freezes.  The system is still ping-able
> but it does not respond to port 25 requests, telnet or console
> keystrokes.  There is no core dump but the only way to recover the
> system is to hard-boot it (power cycle).  The system does run DNS
> caching and I suspect that perhaps DNS is somehow involved in the
> problem.

> Has anyone seen this and if so are there any suggestions for
> resolution?

There's a section in the handbook on forcing and analyzing kernel
dumps.

You should probably upgrade to something more recent first -- not just
because the problem you're hitting might have been fixed, but because
it will be easier for other people to help if they're using a similar
set of code.

1. Sendmail doesn't work on Freebsd 4.7

Hello!
I am trying to have a FreeBSD box send a mail with sendmail. This is a
fresh out of the box installation of the OS.

The only thing I get when I try to send mail on the local domain from
the FreeBSD machine is the following:

relay...

localhost.mydomain.com

If I try to send mail outside of my domain I get the following:
hotmail.com: Name server timeout

for future delivery

I am able to connect to the sendmail with a telnet session to port 25
both from the local machine and from other machines on the LAN.

My /etc/hosts file is as follows:
127.0.0.1               localhost
192.168.13.153          myserver.mydomain.com myserver
192.168.13.153          myserver.mydomain.com.
192.168.13.3            mail.mydomain.com mailhost postoffice
I have tried having localhost with a "." at the end. The only thing

Connection to localhost.mydomain.com." it was

my /etc/resolv.conf is as follows:
domain  mydomain.com
nameserver      192.168.13.244

I have tried having localhost with a "." at the end. The only thing

Connection to localhost.mydomain.com." it was

If I tail the maillog I can see the following:
Oct 24 10:58:44 myserver sendmail[244]: g9OAwiWq000244:

dsn=4.4.3, stat=queued Oct 24 10:58:54 myserver sendmail[247]:
g9OAwsTZ000247: from=root, size=27, class=0, nrcpts=1,

alhost
Oct 24 10:58:54 myserver sendmail[247]: g9OAwsTZ000247:

xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay, pri=30022,
relay=localhost.mydomain.com., dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: Operation
timed out with localhost.mydomain.com.

nslookup, ping etc. functions normally, so do all the machines that
are supposed to be interacted with. That is DNS, mail server etc.

Please help me. I am all out of ideas.

With best regards, and thanks beforehand.
Thor

2. Where is the core dump?

3. System lockup in FreeBSD 4.7 (bug?)

4. Problems loading aha1740 module

5. FreeBSD 4.7 & No System Messages to Root

6. ALPS 4x4 CD-changer and Linux

7. Sendmail 8.12.7 problem on FreeBSD?

8. shell expansion & pattern matching

9. Netscape 4.7 for FreeBSD 2.2x does not run on FreeBSD 3.4

10. Sendmail freezeS, and system dies when sendmail is killed

11. Netscape 4.7 freezes

12. Network problem causing Netscape 4.6 and 4.7 to freeze on start up