memory disk problem (mounted memory "hangs")

memory disk problem (mounted memory "hangs")

Post by Andy De Pette » Thu, 08 Mar 2001 07:46:29

Hello,

I have a machine, with 2Gb physical memory, of which I mount 512Mb as a
filesystem (/dev/md0c).  This partition is very heavily used, and the
machine hangs after a certain amount of time, for no obvious reason.

What I've found is this, to be configured during kernel compilation
time:

--
#
# Set the number of PV entries per process.  Increasing this can

Now, I have tried this, and set PMAP_SHPGPERPROC=400, and changed set
"vm.v_free_reserved=1024" and "vm.v_free_min=1500", but still I have the
same problem, that the machine hangs after a certain amount of time.

I'm running FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE.

Is there anything else, I should take into account, or anything I should
configure, to stop this from happening?

Thanks,

-Andy

--
"For nothing can seem foul to those that win."
          - Henry IV, Pt1, Act 5, Sc 1

memory disk problem (mounted memory "hangs")

Post by Lowell Gilber » Thu, 08 Mar 2001 23:56:58

Quote:> Hello,

> I have a machine, with 2Gb physical memory, of which I mount 512Mb as a
> filesystem (/dev/md0c).  This partition is very heavily used, and the
> machine hangs after a certain amount of time, for no obvious reason.

> What I've found is this, to be configured during kernel compilation
> time:

> --
> #
> # Set the number of PV entries per process.  Increasing this can
> # stop panics related to heavy use of shared memory. However, that can
> # (combined with large amounts of physical memory) cause panics at
> # boot time due the kernel running out of VM space.
> #
> # If you're tweaking this, you might also want to increase the sysctls
> # "vm.v_free_min", "vm.v_free_reserved", and "vm.v_free_target".
> #
> # The value below is the one more than the default.
> #
> options         "PMAP_SHPGPERPROC=201"
> --

> Now, I have tried this, and set PMAP_SHPGPERPROC=400, and changed set
> "vm.v_free_reserved=1024" and "vm.v_free_min=1500", but still I have the
> same problem, that the machine hangs after a certain amount of time.

> I'm running FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE.

> Is there anything else, I should take into account, or anything I should
> configure, to stop this from happening?

I can't find any reports of similar things.  Trying kernel debugging,
as described in the handbook, and sending the results to somewhere
more valid (like comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc, or a FreeBSD mailing
list) should be your next step.  There are a number of possibilities,
including hardware problems.

1. memory disk problem (mounted memory "hangs")

[...]

2. 53c400a status

3. "increased VM size+Main-memory" better than "Main-memory+Hard-disk" ??

4. ioctl's that flush typeahead on SunOS 4.0.3

5. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...

6. Linux apache but Win Nt error messages

7. What exactly is a memory fault (Follows "What is signal 7?")

8. CUPS and parallel printer on FreeBSD 5.

9. LINUX gives me "out of memory" & "killed" why?

10. "/bin/mount -av" wipes out Time Zone config ("/sbin/clock -s")

11. Is "shared memory" a way to reduce physical memory usage?

12. the differents between "memory mapping" with "kernel buffering" in file I/O?

13. "Too Many Softcalls" and "Memory Address not aligned" errors