XDM not coming up

Post by V_Sure » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 16:07:42

After two weeks into FreeBSD, I wanted to have xdm. pkg_added xdm,
changed to 'on' in /etc/ttys. Rebooted.
Lo! Xdm keeps on trying to come up, but doesn't. X shows up, for
a second or two, then dies immediately, black out, again X comes,
dies, again, again... This went on.

I tried ctrl+alt+bkspce, still, couldn't get to the console.
Hence I couldn't log on at all. Didn't know what to do, booted
into single user mode. Got /bin/sh. But couldn't edit /etc/ttys,
says, Readonly Filesystem. Tried mounting in rw mode, couldn't.

After two hours of head-banging, reinstalled FreeBSD.
Though nothing could be done now, I'm afraid to touch xdm again.
Is there any way by which I could've stopped xdm from trying to
come up??

[FYI, X was fully configured, and I was using fvwm2.]
Any ideas??

XDM not coming up

Post by Andres Aitse » Sat, 21 Sep 2002 21:25:58

Your X server failed to start correctly. Try run xinit and see what error
messages you get. Only after getting X server to run with xinit try to
enable xdm.

Cheers,
Andres

> After two weeks into FreeBSD, I wanted to have xdm. pkg_added xdm,
> changed to 'on' in /etc/ttys. Rebooted.
> Lo! Xdm keeps on trying to come up, but doesn't. X shows up, for
> a second or two, then dies immediately, black out, again X comes,
> dies, again, again... This went on.

> I tried ctrl+alt+bkspce, still, couldn't get to the console.
> Hence I couldn't log on at all. Didn't know what to do, booted
> into single user mode. Got /bin/sh. But couldn't edit /etc/ttys,
> says, Readonly Filesystem. Tried mounting in rw mode, couldn't.

> After two hours of head-banging, reinstalled FreeBSD.
> Though nothing could be done now, I'm afraid to touch xdm again.
> Is there any way by which I could've stopped xdm from trying to
> come up??

> [FYI, X was fully configured, and I was using fvwm2.]
> Any ideas??

XDM not coming up

Post by Rich Wink » Thu, 03 Oct 2002 05:36:38

> After two weeks into FreeBSD, I wanted to have xdm. pkg_added xdm,
> changed to 'on' in /etc/ttys. Rebooted.
> Lo! Xdm keeps on trying to come up, but doesn't. X shows up, for
> a second or two, then dies immediately, black out, again X comes,
> dies, again, again... This went on.

Did you run
X -configure
to generate an XF86Config file?

For future reference, when you have to boot single user,
the first thing you need to do is
fsck /
mount -u /
This will mount / rw.
You'll probably have to do the same for /usr and whatever else you want
access to.

1. KDM or XDM is not coming up

Can anybody help me ? I have SuSE Linux 5.2 running on
a COMPAQ Armada 1500 Laptop installt. Everything works
fine including X-Windows and KDE.
The only thing i can't find out is:
Starting the machine under KDM or XDM is not possible.
The Screen is flickering and the Laptop themes to hang.
Cold it be, that the reason is found in my XF86Config file,
because there is only a resolution 800 x 600 Dots
with 16 Bits Colors defined ??

Thanks for answering

DK.

2. Chap authentication problem with ipppd

3. eth0 not coming up on boot, but comes up manually

4. Quick program question

5. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

6. X-Windows newbie question

7. xdm/kdm related lock ups

8. _X11TransSocketUNIXConnect. Does anybody know?

9. The Red Hats are coming, the Red Hats are coming

10. The Commies are Coming, the Commies are Coming!

11. diff -rcN ups-2.45.2/Makefile ups/Makefile

12. APC USB ups, Back-UPS ES series, 2.5.68