FreeBSD-Packetmanager...?

Post by Stefan Demarmel » Mon, 01 Oct 2001 21:04:52

Hi Folks!

I just have set up for the first time  FreeBSD 4.4. I have used SuseLinux
for quite some time. My question is now, how can I install packages form my
BSD-CD-roms? What is the packetmanager called, and witch is the
configurefile for starting programs at startup (Linux, rc.conf). I want to
install SambaTNG on my BSD.

Thanks for your help
Greetings    Stefan

FreeBSD-Packetmanager...?

Post by Koen Verbek » Tue, 02 Oct 2001 00:57:10

> SuseLinux for quite some time. My question is now, how can I install
> packages form my BSD-CD-roms? What is the packetmanager called, and
> witch is the configurefile for starting programs at startup (Linux,

Invoke /stand/sysinstall as root, start from there. If you've installed
the ports collection, take a look then in /usr/ports.

And *please* read the fbsd handbook: http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/ .
99% of your questions will be answered there!

        - Koen

1. Java with HotSpot on FreeBSD (Was: Re: A Call to Action for freebsd-java)

 > > I explained to him further that FreeBSD was going to have some
 > > challenges moving to 1.4 because of the disappearance of 'classic' mode in
 > > 1.4 and that we could really use some direct contact with Sun Engineers to
 > > help with HotSpot.
 >
 > No need to worry any more. The buzz is starting to spread around that
 > HotSpot is working under FreeBSD now. ;)

I seem to recall reading that this will only work with 5.x, and
that there were no plans for making it work 4.x.  Is this (still?)
correct?

Is this going to be available in the next patchset?  If so, do you
have any idea when the next patchset will be available?

Thanks.

Chris

2. Using LILO an OS/2 Boot Manager

3. FreeBSD 4.5 vs. FreeBSD 3.2 - Which One

4. help: running ygg plug-and-play without CD

5. Use FreeBSD telnet to FreeBSD problem

6. problem with Live Upgrade

7. ideas od perf of samba + freebsd vs nfs + freebsd

8. HPT372 an Debian 3.0

9. IBM JDK on FreeBSD (Was: JDK 1.3.1 on Freebsd?)

10. Wine problem under Freebsd (maybe freebsd ports?)

11. FreeBSD or NOT FreeBSD ?

12. EIDE & FreeBSD; Windows NT 3.51 & FreeBSD.

13. FreeBSD 4.0R -> FreeBSD 4.0-stable using ftp?