Problem with ed0

Post by nos.. » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 07:46:52

Hello All,
I recently installed Freebsd 4.8. I have a problem that I can't seem to
resolve. When I do ifconfig I don't see my network interface (ed0). My
card is ne2000 compatible but Freebsd doesn't see it. I look at the
output of dmesg and I can see 4 or 5 lines where ed0 is attempted to be
configured but it doesn't work. I have added the necessary lines in
/etc/rc.conf but ed0 will not come up.

Any pointers?
Thanks

Problem with ed0

Post by Lowell Gilber » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 10:15:13

comp.unix.bsd.freebsd is not widely propagated, so you won't
necessarily get much help here (in comp.unix.bsd.freebsd).
See http://www.freebsd.org/support.html for better ideas...
[followups redirected accordingly]

> Hello All,
> I recently installed Freebsd 4.8. I have a problem that I can't seem
> to resolve. When I do ifconfig I don't see my network interface
> (ed0). My card is ne2000 compatible but Freebsd doesn't see it. I look
> at the output of dmesg and I can see 4 or 5 lines where ed0 is
> attempted to be configured but it doesn't work.

Showing them would have helped.

Quote:>                                                 I have added the
> necessary lines in /etc/rc.conf but ed0 will not come up.

Showing us what you added, and what effect it *did* have, would have
helped too.

Problem with ed0

Post by Mike » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 11:10:23

Thanks for the note.

Here is what I see when I run dmesg:
Config>en ed0
Config> po ed0 0x280
Config> ir ed0 10
Config> iom ed0 0xd8000
Config> f ed0 0
Config> q

And this is the entry I have in rc.conf
network_interfaces="lo0 ed0"
ifconfig_ed0="DHCP"

Any ideas?

> comp.unix.bsd.freebsd is not widely propagated, so you won't
> necessarily get much help here (in comp.unix.bsd.freebsd).
> See http://www.freebsd.org/support.html for better ideas...
> [followups redirected accordingly]

>>Hello All,
>>I recently installed Freebsd 4.8. I have a problem that I can't seem
>>to resolve. When I do ifconfig I don't see my network interface
>>(ed0). My card is ne2000 compatible but Freebsd doesn't see it. I look
>>at the output of dmesg and I can see 4 or 5 lines where ed0 is
>>attempted to be configured but it doesn't work.

> Showing them would have helped.

>>                                                I have added the
>>necessary lines in /etc/rc.conf but ed0 will not come up.

> Showing us what you added, and what effect it *did* have, would have
> helped too.

1. Problem Getting ed0 recognised

I wrote to this newsgroup a while back detailing my new purchase of
FreeBSD, and what I wanted to do with it.  I've since received some
replies, and I thank those people for taking the time to write.

I still haven't found the time to install FreeBSD onto my LAN server,
and frankly, I'm a little bit nervous about doing so.  Ever since my
first foray into *nix, network cards have given me no end of trouble,
and as access to the server is essential for everyone in this
building, I want to be sure that I can get the new server up and
running in the 24-hour window that I will have.

So to test FreeBSD, I'm installing it onto an ordinary workstation, to
try to get the feel of it.  As usual, the problem is the network
card.

When I boot the machine, I see the BIOS detecting the card :

Card-01 Ethernet PnP ISA Card /S

I then get into the FreeBSD boot sequence, where it asks me if I want
to go into the config menu, or continue with the install.  The first
time, I choose the latter.  It then tells me:

ed0 not found at 0x280

I boot again (after having checked the address of the card in
Windows), and finding it on IRQ 10 at 0x240) and select the new
settings:

0x240
IRQ: 10

Again, I get:

ed0 not found at 0x240

Hmm ... anyone got any ideas?

As I write this, I'm looking at the configuration of the card in
Windows: I/O 0240-025F, IRQ 10.

As always, an e-mail Cc: would be nice, and again, I thank you all in
advance for your help ...  :-)

D.

--
Desmond Coughlan                |Restez Zen ... UNIX peut le faire

http://212.198.67.111/               [under construction]

2. anyone using the newest OpenWindows?

3. Problems with ed0

4. bug when ifconfig w.r.t. broadcast address

5. ed0 driver problem?

6. Upgrading kernel and others

7. Installation problem: ed0 not configured as kernel expects

8. what is /dev/adm/wtmp ???

9. start_if.ed0 problem (3.1)

10. no ed0

11. ed0 on fbsd 2.2.8-stable

12. Error in ethernet ed0 option compile

13. Multi-Homed FreeBSD 2.28 ed0: device timeout