5.1 performance

Post by wixedmor » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 06:59:59

Hello all,
  I have Freebsd 5.1 running on a Tecra 550CDT with 160mb of ram. I am
aware from other postings that there may be performance issues with 5
and 5.1. I am running into performance issues, using gnome 2.2. A
normal example would be, a terminal running top, another terminal
tailing logon's to a remote system, and the imici messenger. Currently

used. Now, the problem, when I open another program, terminal,
mozilla, anything, it is very very slow to open. During this proces
the cpu usage does fall down to 25% idle. Any ideas on why this is
happening, or any tweaks to make it perform better.
Thanks,
Paul

5.1 performance

Post by Lowell Gilber » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 10:14:54

comp.unix.bsd.freebsd is not widely propagated, so you won't
necessarily get much help here (in comp.unix.bsd.freebsd).
See http://www.freebsd.org/support.html for better ideas...
[followups redirected accordingly]

>   I have Freebsd 5.1 running on a Tecra 550CDT with 160mb of ram. I am
> aware from other postings that there may be performance issues with 5
> and 5.1. I am running into performance issues, using gnome 2.2. A
> normal example would be, a terminal running top, another terminal
> tailing logon's to a remote system, and the imici messenger. Currently

> used. Now, the problem, when I open another program, terminal,
> mozilla, anything, it is very very slow to open. During this proces
> the cpu usage does fall down to 25% idle. Any ideas on why this is
> happening, or any tweaks to make it perform better.

There's a lot of debug code enabled in 5.1 by default.  It will
probably remain enabled until 5.x is considered ready for production
use, which is still at least a couple of months away.  The Early
Adopter's Guide (http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.1R/early-adopter.html)
describes this.

Either rebuild your system, disabling the debugging code, or stick
with -STABLE releases.

5.1 performance

Post by Lowell Gilber » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 09:32:03

comp.unix.bsd.freebsd is not widely propagated, so you won't
necessarily get much help here (in comp.unix.bsd.freebsd).
See http://www.freebsd.org/support.html for better ideas...
[followups redirected accordingly]

>   I have Freebsd 5.1 running on a Tecra 550CDT with 160mb of ram. I am
> aware from other postings that there may be performance issues with 5
> and 5.1. I am running into performance issues, using gnome 2.2. A
> normal example would be, a terminal running top, another terminal
> tailing logon's to a remote system, and the imici messenger. Currently

> used. Now, the problem, when I open another program, terminal,
> mozilla, anything, it is very very slow to open. During this proces
> the cpu usage does fall down to 25% idle. Any ideas on why this is
> happening, or any tweaks to make it perform better.

There's a lot of debug code enabled in 5.1 by default.  It will
probably remain enabled until 5.x is considered ready for production
use, which is still at least a couple of months away.  The Early
Adopter's Guide (http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.1R/early-adopter.html)
describes this.

Either rebuild your system, disabling the debugging code, or stick
with -STABLE releases.

5.1 performance

Post by wixedmor » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 10:14:48

Thanks Lowell, I went back to 4.8.
Paul

> comp.unix.bsd.freebsd is not widely propagated, so you won't
> necessarily get much help here (in comp.unix.bsd.freebsd).
> See http://www.freebsd.org/support.html for better ideas...
> [followups redirected accordingly]

> >   I have Freebsd 5.1 running on a Tecra 550CDT with 160mb of ram. I am
> > aware from other postings that there may be performance issues with 5
> > and 5.1. I am running into performance issues, using gnome 2.2. A
> > normal example would be, a terminal running top, another terminal
> > tailing logon's to a remote system, and the imici messenger. Currently

> > used. Now, the problem, when I open another program, terminal,
> > mozilla, anything, it is very very slow to open. During this proces
> > the cpu usage does fall down to 25% idle. Any ideas on why this is
> > happening, or any tweaks to make it perform better.

> There's a lot of debug code enabled in 5.1 by default.  It will
> probably remain enabled until 5.x is considered ready for production
> use, which is still at least a couple of months away.  The Early
> Adopter's Guide (http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.1R/early-adopter.html)
> describes this.

> Either rebuild your system, disabling the debugging code, or stick
> with -STABLE releases.

1. solaris x86 v2.5 vs. v2.5.1 performance

A 486-DX2 66 is rather underpowered for Solaris, and also
you will probably do much better with SCSI disks.
(Both points from personal experience.)

Linux boots very quickly - no SVR4 comes even close.
On the other hand, I don't find myself booting Solaris very
much - our UPS powered system runs for months, and I have
even added new disks and tape drives and brought them into
service without having to reboot.

--

2. HP JetDirect Data Loss

3. AIX 5.1.B and 5.1.C and AIX 5.1.D

4. sed question

5. Huge network performance loss from RedHat 4.2 to 5.1

6. lvm problem

7. Slow network performance with 5.1

8. cpu load

9. Slow java performance on AIX 5.1

10. Poor performance with Redhat 5.1 ipfwadm

11. Performance capping AIX 4.3.3 or 5.1

12. Patching tru64 5.1/trucluster 5.1

13. IPLT Directory Server 5.1 and Sun One Directory Server 5.1 Difference ?