Locate database

Post by Giles Dunca » Tue, 18 Sep 2001 21:03:07

I am a VERY green newbie with BSD but I am very enthusiastic about the OS.

I have attempted to do as small an install as possible with the idea of
adding only the services I need thereby making the box as reliable as
possible ???

Can anyone enlighten me as to why the locate database would not be working.
I get the error "locate database too small". I presume I need to either
populate the database or index it in some way. Is there some process that
should be running or some service that needs to be installed ?

As a newbie one of my biggest problems is finding the different
configuration files around the system !!

Also can anyone reccomend any more good documentation links apart from the
handbook and faqs from freeBSD.org ??

Locate database

Post by Chris Barne » Wed, 19 Sep 2001 09:18:09

> I am a VERY green newbie with BSD but I am very enthusiastic about the OS.

Welcome.

Quote:> Can anyone enlighten me as to why the locate database would not be working.
> I get the error "locate database too small". I presume I need to either
> populate the database or index it in some way. Is there some process that
> should be running or some service that needs to be installed ?

Hints: cron, /etc/periodic/weekly/310.locate

Quote:> As a newbie one of my biggest problems is finding the different
> configuration files around the system !!

There aren't many not under /etc that I can think of quickly.  When I
need to configure something I often first try one of these (in ksh):

    grep -i something /etc/{defaults/,}rc.conf
    grep -i something /etc/{defaults/,}*

Don't forget "man -k something" or grep all man pages with:

    find $(manpath|sed s/:/\ /g) | xargs grep something /dev/null

Quote:> Also can anyone reccomend any more good documentation links apart from the
> handbook and faqs from freeBSD.org ??

The best one is: groups.google.com

If you haven't discovered them yet: /usr/{share/,}doc

Locate database

Post by Chris Barne » Wed, 19 Sep 2001 09:25:51

I forgot to say: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd will get you more responses
and certain FreeBSD.org mailing lists will get you better responses
(usually).

1. problem rebuilding locate database

I sometimes rebuild the locate database before it is scheduled to be
rebuilt.
As root, I run the command  /etc/periodic/weekly/310.locate
On FreeBSD 4.6  and 4.6.2 , I get the error message
mktemp: mkdtemp failed on /usr/tmp/locatexxxxxxxx: Permission denied

The 310.locate command works ok on 4.5,4.4, and 4.3. I just checked
them.

How do I make 310.locate work again?

[ x < 1K ]

Rebuilding locate database:
mktemp: mkdtemp failed on /usr/tmp/locate9zBZcPRPox: Permission denied

2. AIX 4.3.3 and Tivoli TSM

3. locate.database

4. xdm: does not clean up after session end!?

5. locate database creation?

6. LPD problem

7. How to rebuild the database for "locate"?

8. ORACLE Forms 3.0 / AIX / aixterm

9. Netconfig structure/database is located where?

10. What if "locate" returns database > 8 days old??

11. Updating the database for 'locate' chews up my RAM

12. PROCESS:kerbd: could not be located + PROCESS:lpNet: could not be located

13. Why is OpenBSD's locate update beating FreeBSD's locate update speed?