xdm ignores allowRootLogin setting

Post by Robert Bau » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 03:54:01

I'm using 5.0-Release, and have xdm setup to answer broadcast queries
from a remote xterminal.  Everything is working great, except I want
to disallow root logins.  I read the handbook, and the manpage for
xdm, which says to put the following in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xresources:

xlogin.Login.allowRootLogin: false

I did this, but it still lets me login as root on the xterminal.  I
also tried several variations for the resource name, like:

xlogin*allowRootLogins
xlogin*Login.allowRootLogins
xlogin.login.allowrootlogins
(etc)

Nothing has worked so far.  Admittedly, I'm a newbie to setting up X,
and the * notation for resources still confuses me a little.  Is xdm
broken, or did I miss something?

TIA,

Robert Bauer

xdm ignores allowRootLogin setting

Post by Lowell Gilber » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 04:36:15

comp.unix.bsd.freebsd is not widely propagated, so you won't
necessarily get much help here (in comp.unix.bsd.freebsd).
See http://www.freebsd.org/support.html for better ideas...
[followups redirected accordingly]

> I'm using 5.0-Release, and have xdm setup to answer broadcast queries
> from a remote xterminal.  Everything is working great, except I want
> to disallow root logins.  I read the handbook, and the manpage for
> xdm, which says to put the following in
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xresources:

> xlogin.Login.allowRootLogin: false

> I did this, but it still lets me login as root on the xterminal.  I
> also tried several variations for the resource name, like:

> xlogin*allowRootLogins
> xlogin*Login.allowRootLogins
> xlogin.login.allowrootlogins
> (etc)

Those have an extra 's' on the end.  The previous one should have
worked, although it might need a lower-case 'l' instead.

Quote:> Nothing has worked so far.  Admittedly, I'm a newbie to setting up X,
> and the * notation for resources still confuses me a little.  Is xdm
> broken, or did I miss something?

You did remember to restart xdm after changing the resource file, right?

Also please note that the release team does not yet consider FreeBSD
5.x to be "production quality".  As the main FreeBSD web page directs:
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.1R/early-adopter.html

1. xdm ignores allowRootLogin setting

(this was also posted to comp.unix.bsd.freebsd before I realized .misc
would have been the best place.  my apologies for the double post -RB)

I'm using 5.0-Release, and have xdm setup to answer broadcast queries
from a remote xterminal.  Everything is working great, except I want
to disallow root logins.  I read the handbook, and the manpage for
xdm, which says to put the following in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xresources:

xlogin.Login.allowRootLogin: false

I did this, but it still lets me login as root on the xterminal.  I
also tried several variations for the resource name, like:

xlogin*allowRootLogins
xlogin*Login.allowRootLogins
xlogin.login.allowrootlogins
(etc)

Nothing has worked so far.  Admittedly, I'm a newbie to setting up X,
and the * notation for resources still confuses me a little.  Is xdm
broken, or did I miss something?

TIA,

Robert Bauer

2. How to clear Form Completion entries?

3. tripwire not ignoring items set to be ignored

4. Solaris 2.5.1 x86 and BIND 8.1.1

5. stty setting after setting up xdm

6. Is there a CGI console for Linux?

7. TEST * IGNORE * TEST * IGNORE

8. How Disable Password But Not Change

9. warning: ignoring pragma: ignored (gcc -Wall)

10. To be ignoring is to be ignoring linux: very bad

11. Logcheck ignores logcheck.violations.ignore file !

12. diald ignores "ignore"

13. Logcheck ignores logcheck.violations.ignore file !