How to change drive letters in Windows 2000

How to change drive letters in Windows 2000

Post by Newhomes suppor » Sun, 22 Jul 2001 01:30:11

I know microsoft says not to do it, but a lot of my programs dont run at
all, my brain died when I first installed Win2k, I installed the drive as
Drive E: instead of Drive C:.. now I need to get it back to drive C: I
have the software to do it, I just need to know if anyone has ever
attempted this and had it work

Thanks
Newhomes.Com
Support Team

How to change drive letters in Windows 2000

Post by CS » Sun, 22 Jul 2001 03:40:22

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001 16:30:11 -0000, Newhomes support

There are literally thousands of registry entries that would have to
be changed.  The best and really only way to change drive letters of
the boot partition is to re-install.   So called software to change
drive letter assignment work on a limited basis.

To avoid unnecessary  work and future headaches, either leave it the
way it is or backup your data and re-install.

Quote:>I know microsoft says not to do it, but a lot of my programs dont run at
>all, my brain died when I first installed Win2k, I installed the drive as
>Drive E: instead of Drive C:.. now I need to get it back to drive C: I
>have the software to do it, I just need to know if anyone has ever
>attempted this and had it work

>Thanks
>Newhomes.Com
>Support Team

How to change drive letters in Windows 2000

Post by Steve Duf » Sun, 22 Jul 2001 04:06:28

"SUBST C: E:" in your startup or login.

Or share E: and map it back to C:

There are other ways.

Don't try to change the drive letter -- madness lies
down that road.

Steve Duff, MCSE
Ergodic Systems, Inc.

> I know microsoft says not to do it, but a lot of my programs dont run at
> all, my brain died when I first installed Win2k, I installed the drive as
> Drive E: instead of Drive C:.. now I need to get it back to drive C: I
> have the software to do it, I just need to know if anyone has ever
> attempted this and had it work

> Thanks
> Newhomes.Com
> Support Team

> --

1. Changing Drive Letter/ Forcing a certain drive letter

I have about 6 local drives being used on my Win2k professional system.  I
had a 7th for a while, and it took up a drive letter.  The config I get is
that my two hard drives are C: and I:, with a bunch of other drives (CDs,
Jaz, Zip) and a unused letter in between.  I'd like to force my two hard
drives to be C: and D: with the rest to follow.  Is there any way to do that
in Win2k?  I've searched the help menus to no avail. Thanks.
Jim

2. Sendmail.cf

3. Floppy Disk Drive Letters - How do you change their Drive Letter Assignment ?

4. FS: HP JORNADA 548

5. Change of Drive Letter in Windows 2000 advanced server

6. Why won't it round?

7. System Drive letter change or not??? -Windows 2000

8. status line coordinates

9. Changing removable drive letters in Windows 2000 Pro

10. Can I change CD Drive letter assignments in Win 2000?

11. Changing Drive Letters (They just keep changing)

12. .Net Com Add-ins for Word 2000 does not register in Windows 2000 Server

13. How to change Drive letter of system drive