Exporting Administrative Template Settings ?

Exporting Administrative Template Settings ?

Post by Brendan Colllin » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 21:17:21

Hi folks,

I am working in a school and have locked down the students desktop etc using
a Group Policy Object.  I would like to use the same administrative template
settings in another school but do not know of any way of exporting/importing
these template settings. Does anyone know if this can be completed ?

Best regards,
Brendan Collins

Exporting Administrative Template Settings ?

Post by Senthil P [FullArmor » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 23:06:20

If you just want the ADM Template settings, you can copy the registry.pol
files from the user and computer sections of the GPO in the SYSVOL to the
GPO in your other school.
Other settings in a GPO have to be massaged to work in a different forest.

Quote:> Hi folks,

Post by Jerold Schulma » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 23:08:43

>Hi folks,

>I am working in a school and have locked down the students desktop etc using
>a Group Policy Object.  I would like to use the same administrative template
>settings in another school but do not know of any way of exporting/importing
>these template settings. Does anyone know if this can be completed ?

>Best regards,
>Brendan Collins

See tip 5479 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com or type 'jsi <tip
number>' into the Address bar after implementing tip 6000.

This will tell you where they are stored.

Jerold Schulman
Windows Server MVP / Configuration Management
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

1. Registry based policies/preferences; Security Templates vs. Administrative Templates

Greetings,

I'm trying to get feedback and opinions from others on when they feel its
appropriate to use security templates (.inf) to push registry based
policy/preferences as opposed to using administrative templates (.adm).  In
this case, I'm referring to settings that are not already defined by a
standard adm or inf template.  Both mechanisms allow for custom setting
extensions and both can be link to group policy.

I've run into at least one situation where security templates seemed like
the only choice because the data types were REG_MULTI_SZ, but I am
interested in other reasons to use one over the other.  Obviously, security
templates are typically used when the setting is a true security setting,
but again this mechanism can be extended to deal with just about any
setting.

Thanks,
-Sean

2. return-path problem

3. Regsitry settings / administrative templates

4. Blob (FoxPro -> ODBC -> Oracle) how?

5. GP not applying administrative template settings

6. FS: Tape Drives, NEW, non-OEM/IE/GM

7. administrative templates?!?!

8. Amiga A500 monitor wanted

9. Administrative Templates upgrade

10. Use NT 4 Policy Administrative Templates??

11. Administrative template

12. User Administrative Templates for Domain Not Consistently Applied

13. How could I add custom administrative templates programmatically ?