How do I format hard drive with NTFS

Post by Denni » Mon, 27 Aug 2001 22:55:21

I upgraded win ME to 2000.  The upgrade seemes a little
quirky so I then repeated a full install.  2 questions:
When I boot up no I have 2 instances of win 2000 how do I
delete one and If I wanted to go back to Win ME how do I
reformate the hard drive.  FDisk doesn't seem to work with
NTFS???

How do I format hard drive with NTFS

Post by Dave Patric » Mon, 27 Aug 2001 23:36:40

There is no upgrade path from WinME to Windows 2000.

First Control Panel|System|Advanced|Startup and Recovery, choose the correct System Startup option
as default, then you'll need to delete the options you want removed from the boot.ini, it's a
read-only, system hidden file in the root of the boot partition. So you'll need to show-all-files,
hidden, system in Explorer, and uncheck the read-only bit before you edit. Then make it read-only
again after your edits. You should end up with something like this. The timeout value is not
functional when there is only one startup choice.

Some ways to do this include. Boot a win98 startup disk, run fdisk and delete all partition
information found (as long as NTFS is primary). Or boot the Windows 2000 CD or setup disks and when
you get to the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other partitions found, then abort the
install. Or search for a utility named delpart or aefdisk http://www.bootdisk.com . Once removed you
can then partition and format the drive as you wish.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick
No email replies please - reply in newsgroup

 I upgraded win ME to 2000.  The upgrade seemes a little quirky so I then repeated a full install.
2 questions:  When I boot up no I have 2 instances of win 2000 how do I delete one and If I wanted
to go back to Win ME how do I reformate the hard drive.  FDisk doesn't seem to work with NTFS???

1. Hard Drive changed format from NTFS to Raw on ReBoot

Hello,

I was workning on my computer yesterday, downloading some
file from the internet to a secondary hard drive formated
NTFS.

Windows update infomed me that their were new critical
updates to install and I allowed it to install the updates
(i did not check to see which updates it installed).

When the computer rebooted after the update my secondary
hard drive now is unreadable and chkdsk says the file
format is RAW.

Has anyone had this problem before and is there a way,
other than formating the drive, to restore the file system
to NTFS?

Does anyone know why this might have happened?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt Brown

2. I am looking for a different ADSL provider that offers fixed rates..

3. Hard drive changed format from NTFS to Raw on reboot

4. Where can I find NDIS programming information?

5. Is There A Version Of Format.exe That Will Format NTFS in DOS?

6. Switching Views

7. File format on Hard Drive change from NTFS to Raw on reboot

8. font problem

9. How do you re-format a hard drive configured for NTFS

10. How to Convert a Hard Drive With Data to NTFS Format

11. Hard Drive file format changed from NTFS to Raw on reboot

12. A problem with my second hard drive: Two drive letters, one single hard drive

13. Format FAT32 Over NTFS Gives "Primary Hard Disk Failure"