How can i set up a simple TCP/IP DHCP network on 2000server ?

How can i set up a simple TCP/IP DHCP network on 2000server ?

Post by Seba » Fri, 07 Sep 2001 22:56:47

Can someone telle me how to set up a
simple 15 workstation network.
i'm used working with NT 4 Server and things like DNS i don't use ( i
think).
When installing DHCP on a new windows 2000 server, the one thing i do
need, i have to install Active directory and have to answer a lot off
DNS related questions which i cannot answer.
I just want a simple TCP IP network with no internet and no things that
were not there in nt 4.0 server.
Is this possible to do and explain in a simple way ?
All the workstations still use nt4 and have the TCP/IP protocol
installed. The intention is to just plugout the old server and plug in
the new-one with win2000 installed on it.

If you can help me, thanks.

Sebastiaan

How can i set up a simple TCP/IP DHCP network on 2000server ?

Post by Alex K. Angelopoulo » Sat, 08 Sep 2001 01:20:56

Quote:> When installing DHCP on a new windows 2000 server, the one thing i do
> need, i have to install Active directory and have to answer a lot off
> DNS related questions which i cannot answer.
> I just want a simple TCP IP network with no internet and no things that
> were not there in nt 4.0 server.
> Is this possible to do and explain in a simple way ?

You do need to have the DNS; it doesn't have to be "real" DNS, but Windows
2000 uses DNS for identifying systems.  It's the foundation of Microsoft
networking now.

On the bright side, you don't necessarily have to have "real" values for
everything.  If the server will never be accessing the outside world, you
can tell it that it is the start of authority for its own domain, make it
the reference DNS server, etc.

Obviously, this is more work than NT 4 was in this way.  In retrospect, it
would have been nice for Microsoft to outline a few "case study" setups
since the whole DNS and AD thing was new with the release of Win2K.  The one
certain thng is that you have to have DNS running just to have stuff like
domain security.

1. How can i set up a simple network on win2000 with only tcp/ip and DHCP ?

Can someone telle me how to set up a
simple 15 workstation network.
i'm used working with NT 4 Server and things like DNS i don't use ( i
think).
When installing DHCP on a new windows 2000 server, the one thing i do
need, i have to install Active directory and have to answer a lot off
DNS related questions which i cannot answer.
I just want a simple TCP IP network with no internet and no things that
were not there in nt 4.0 server.
Is this possible to do and explain in a simple way ?
All the workstations still use nt4 and have the TCP/IP protocol
installed.

If you can help me, thanks.

Sebastiaan

2. Select by point inside?

3. How to set up a simple network with only DHCP and tcp/ip ?

4. Opera for Pocket PC ?!?

5. WIN 2000Server - Set to IP instead of IPX to talk to Novell 5.1 Sever

6. Primary and secondary display

7. TCP/IP properties, Obtain an IP address from DHCP

8. NIC Protocol TCP/IP only allows DHCP no static IP

9. TCP/IP setting on Win2000 Server without actual physical network connection

10. How to set power user can setting TCP/IP?

11. Setting up a networked (TCP/IP) printer on a WIN 2000 PC

12. TCP/IP Setting on Win2000 Server that is not connected to a Network