dhcp and netgear fvs318 router

Post by Mike Chatfiel » Wed, 19 Mar 2003 13:01:51

I have just set up my netgear router with road runner isp
and have about 17 of my 20 computers up and running but I
have 3 machines that will not locate the dhcp router when
i set them to dhcp.  If I set them to a dynamic ip then
they see the network but do not see the internet.  When I
set them to dhcp they see nothing but each other.  my
router is set up as 10.0.0.1 subnet 255.0.0.0 but on these
3 machines the ip address comes up as 169.254.123.???.
What do I need to do to fix this problem?
Thanks

Post by Charles Wate » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 23:17:56

> I have just set up my netgear router with road runner isp
> and have about 17 of my 20 computers up and running but I
> have 3 machines that will not locate the dhcp router when
> i set them to dhcp.  If I set them to a dynamic ip then
> they see the network but do not see the internet.  When I
> set them to dhcp they see nothing but each other.  my
> router is set up as 10.0.0.1 subnet 255.0.0.0 but on these
> 3 machines the ip address comes up as 169.254.123.???.
> What do I need to do to fix this problem?
> Thanks

The 169.254.x.x. address means that the DHCP Client can't see the DHCP
server. This is the IP address range that Windows will give to a box,
randomly I think, if it can't find the DHCP server. Is this a mix of
Win2K and 9X boxes? Shouldn't the subnet mask be 255.255.0.0 for that
address range? What OS is running on the boxes experiencing this
problem?

1. Netgear FVS318 VPN connection problems.

Hello,

I'm trying to use the built-in VPN client in Windows
XP/2000 professional to connect to this VPN firewall. I'm
not able to connect and I was wondering is it required to
use a third party VPN client with this device.

Or if someone has successfully connected to one of these
Netgear FVS318 devices via VPN networking maybe you can
point me in the right direction.

Thank you,

Richard Vincent

2. Pine Icon under X11 Trick?

3. VPN Connection thru NETGEAR FVS318

4. Policy on posting academic positions in computer architecture.

5. Netgear FVS318 VPN to Microsoft 2K RRAS

6. Shadows

7. Netgear RT314 router, Win2k VPN?

8. dumb masquerading question

9. better router<>Netgear or Dlink?

10. Netgear RT314 DSL/Cable Router on dialup modem?

11. Which router should I choose, DLink DI604,Netgear RP614,SMC 7004VBR?

12. Win 2000 & Netgear Router Problem

13. Netgear RT314 Router success story