Remotely view local security policy

Post by Fishin » Sat, 21 Apr 2001 04:48:56

How do I remotely view\edit the local security policy on a W2K Professional
Workstation.

The local security policy contains Account Policy, Audit Policy, and User
Rights. In NT 4.0, you used to be able to view these policies and rights
remotely using user manager. W2K contains USRMGR.EXE; however, you cannot
use it on W2K workstations in a native mode domain.

Remotely view local security policy

Post by Viamik » Sat, 21 Apr 2001 11:25:25

Run MMC add the Group Policy snap-in.  It gives you the ability to connect
to remote machines local policy.

This can also be done from the Run line by using gpedit.msc.  This is a
default snap-in in W2K.  I find this is faster.

http://www.microsoft.com/TechNet/win2000/win2ksrv/grpolwp.asp#g
The Group Policy snap-in (gpedit.msc) can be started with the following two
command line switches:

  a.. /gpcomputer:"machinename"
  Where "machinename" can be either a NetBIOS or a DNS-style name. For
example, "gpedit.msc /gpcomputer:"machinename"

Quote:> How do I remotely view\edit the local security policy on a W2K
Professional