Software Dist, thru GP

Post by Trevor Cansle » Thu, 30 Aug 2001 22:58:57

Hello all,

I'm having trouble with Group Policy software distribution and would like
your thoughts and ideas.

The problem:  Distribution not taking place on Client machines (they're
running Win2k Pro).  The client computers are members of the domain with
proper computer accounts configured.

Food for thought:  Distribution is SUCCESSFUL when logging on to the Domain
Controller!

Attempts at resolution:  I've added a roaming user profile for the users...
storing the folder on a share on the DC.  I've tried the distribution at
both the DOMAIN level (in A/D) and at the OU level.  I've tried configuring
the distribution from BOTH the Computer settings AND User settings.  Still
not distributing to the client (professional) machines.

Any ideas?
Thanks so much for your help
-Trevor

Software Dist, thru GP

Post by Jaso » Sat, 01 Sep 2001 11:04:54

Trevor,

I was having this problem a few days ago and I scowered Microsoft's support
and these news groups for answer to no avail. I also made a post with no
response. We are not the only people with this problem.

But ..... I have fixed my problem and I know exactly what was causing it.

Here goes ....

We all no how much DNS and WINS comes in to play in windows 2000 ( If you
don't here is you wake up call. IT DOES! ) If DNS and WINS are not setup and
working correctly you are going to have all kinds of problems. Now as luck
would have it for us, Microsoft in it infinite wisdom that is because they
know it is so important sets up DNS correctly for you when you install
active directory on your server. All you have to do is use it correctly.
Here in lies your problem with your Software not distributing correctly.
Which actually the real situation is your group policy is not distributing I
know you see it as the software not going out but the group policy is what
really tells the software to go out. If you where to also .... lets say do
some folder redirections in the group policy they would not work either.
Except for on the server. Back to the solution. Don't ask me why but for
some reason the processing of group policies is tied to DNS resolution. All
you need to do is assign the server address as one of the DNS ip addresses
on the workstations go ahead and keep the ones used for resolution of names
to ip addresses on the internet but you MUST add the ip of you windows 2000
server running DNS to all the computers on your network. You should also
install a WINS server and set those addresses on all computers on your
network as well. If you are using DHCP from you 2000 server to assign
addresses you probably will have to go to the command prompt and issue the
command " ipconfig /renew " to get the new addresses set ( you have to have
admin privileges on the workstation to do this ). Just simply rebooting
might not work.

About the WINS I had this weird problem installing new 2000 computers on
another network with a win 2000 server every time you tried to join the
domain it said the domain name was not valid. I did all kinds of crazy
things to try and fix it with no results. I installed a WINS server and set
the addresses via DHCP to the new computers and wola they logged on and
joined the domain like they where supposed to. So this is why I say you need
WINS as well as DNS.

If this fixes your problem please let me know.

Jason

Quote:> Hello all,

> I'm having trouble with Group Policy software distribution and would like
> your thoughts and ideas.

> The problem:  Distribution not taking place on Client machines (they're
> running Win2k Pro).  The client computers are members of the domain with
> proper computer accounts configured.

> Food for thought:  Distribution is SUCCESSFUL when logging on to the
Domain
> Controller!

> Attempts at resolution:  I've added a roaming user profile for the
users...
> storing the folder on a share on the DC.  I've tried the distribution at
> both the DOMAIN level (in A/D) and at the OU level.  I've tried
configuring
> the distribution from BOTH the Computer settings AND User settings.  Still
> not distributing to the client (professional) machines.

> Any ideas?
> Thanks so much for your help
> -Trevor

Software Dist, thru GP

Post by Shaw » Sat, 08 Sep 2001 11:18:45

When you setup the GPO Software Instasll and told it where the .MSI file was
located, did you browse through network neighborhood or did you use the
local.  If you look in the GPO where it is setup does it point to a local
drive or a UNC \\server\share name?

Shawn

> [...]

like
> > your thoughts and ideas.

> > The problem:  Distribution not taking place on Client machines (they're
> > running Win2k Pro).  The client computers are members of the domain with
> > proper computer accounts configured.

> > Food for thought:  Distribution is SUCCESSFUL when logging on to the
> Domain
> > Controller!

> > Attempts at resolution:  I've added a roaming user profile for the
> users...
> > storing the folder on a share on the DC.  I've tried the distribution at
> > both the DOMAIN level (in A/D) and at the OU level.  I've tried
> configuring
> > the distribution from BOTH the Computer settings AND User settings.
Still
> > not distributing to the client (professional) machines.

1. Software dist problem

Hi,
I'm trying to deploy some applications on one workstation. I used a test OU
and
put my workstation in it. I assign each application to the computer.
It seems that only W2k SP2 works fine. The others packages
.msi are not applied.
Anybody could help me ?
Thanx a lot !

2. LIBASCII Source Code ?

3. Software Dist..

4. IDE disk driver

5. Update software dist point?

6. Signature test

7. software dist.

8. Verification Procedure

9. control access to computers thru GP

10. Remote software setup thru a DC

11. Schedule Software installation thru GPO

12. Software Distribution thru Active Directory

13. software distribution thru group policy on w98