explorer.exe hangs

Post by Sergei Gorko » Wed, 16 Jan 2002 04:55:04

Hi, All!

I've upgraded a workstation from NT4.0 to Win2000 Pro. (celeron-366, 128MB).
Since then, I keep getting a weird problem:
 1) once in a while (couple of minutes) explorer seems to hang ( I cannot
click any windows in task bar, neither start button).
2) whenever I drag files/folders in explorer windows -- the same
3) PRESSING Ctrl+Alt+Del and Cancel solves the problem for a while.
4) Restarting Explorer.exe seems to solve the problem completely for the
session or at least for a much longer while.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

explorer.exe hangs

Post by Bob Endicot » Thu, 17 Jan 2002 01:40:48

A few questions, Do you have Norton Cleansweep installed, Coldfusion, or
Omnipage Pro v9.0?

Quote:> Hi, All!

> I've upgraded a workstation from NT4.0 to Win2000 Pro. (celeron-366,
128MB).
> Since then, I keep getting a weird problem:
>  1) once in a while (couple of minutes) explorer seems to hang ( I cannot
> click any windows in task bar, neither start button).
> 2) whenever I drag files/folders in explorer windows -- the same
> 3) PRESSING Ctrl+Alt+Del and Cancel solves the problem for a while.
> 4) Restarting Explorer.exe seems to solve the problem completely for the
> session or at least for a much longer while.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

1. explorer.exe hangs after reboot

I run win2kPro (SP2)on an Intel p-4 system with an Asus
board,845 chipset,512MB DDRSDRAM. Principal use is content
creation,including firewire video capture. The system is
not internet connected, although it is networked (by
firewire) to a second wintel machine (win98se) that does
go out to the web.
Lately, 50% of the time I reboot, immediately opening
windows explorer from the My Computer icon causes it to
freeze without identifying directories or drives - just
the bare GUI. Same result opening it through start-run -
explorer.exe. If forced to close it leaves the PC hung and
even CTRL-ALT-DLTE won't shut it down. The same result
comes from opening an application and calling for a FILE-
OPEN. The application itself hangs and a manual shut down
is required. I haven't had any luck with the Knowledge
Base searches I've done. None of this occurs in Safe Mode,
and there are no device conflicts showing up in Device
Manager either in or out of safe mode. The majority of the
few uncertified drivers on the system are Asus and Canopus
(vid card and capture card) and the system has been
largely stable and reliable for nearly a year. Sure would
like to hear from someone who has been here and back.

David Hurdon
Toronto,Canada

2. Ocean's TFX Demo?

3. Explorer.exe hangs

4. How do you change the font on a button?

5. Explorer.exe Hangs when Right click icon

6. New AT&T Calling Card Rates

7. Explorer.exe hangs

8. W2K explorer.exe hangs on search

9. explorer.exe hangs