Enumerating Universal Groups?

Post by NTNEW » Thu, 19 Sep 2002 05:50:51

Is there a tool in the resource kit or anywhere that will correctly
enumerate UNIVERSAL groups?  I am trying to use them in a logon script to
process for group membership when users are in the groups from multiple
domains.

local.exe and global.exe do not work!

I am usin the latest version of Kixtart and it does not enumerate these
groups correctly.  It only pulls the members that share the doamin with the
group.

tahnks alot!!

Post by Jerold Schulma » Thu, 19 Sep 2002 22:09:36

>Is there a tool in the resource kit or anywhere that will correctly
>enumerate UNIVERSAL groups?  I am trying to use them in a logon script to
>process for group membership when users are in the groups from multiple
>domains.

>local.exe and global.exe do not work!

>I am usin the latest version of Kixtart and it does not enumerate these
>groups correctly.  It only pulls the members that share the doamin with the
>group.

>tahnks alot!!

what happens when you type:
net group "GroupName" /domain
Does it enumerate the proper members?

Jerold Schulman
Windows Server MVP / Configuration Management
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

Enumerating Universal Groups?

Post by NTNEW » Fri, 20 Sep 2002 06:33:01

both "net group" or "global" command against a universal group

show only members that are in that group that share the domain the actual
universal group is in??

> >Is there a tool in the resource kit or anywhere that will correctly
> >enumerate UNIVERSAL groups?  I am trying to use them in a logon script to
> >process for group membership when users are in the groups from multiple
> >domains.

> >local.exe and global.exe do not work!

> >I am usin the latest version of Kixtart and it does not enumerate these
> >groups correctly.  It only pulls the members that share the doamin with
the
> >group.

> >tahnks alot!!

> what happens when you type:
> net group "GroupName" /domain
> Does it enumerate the proper members?

> Jerold Schulman
> Windows Server MVP / Configuration Management
> JSI, Inc.
> http://www.jsiinc.com

Enumerating Universal Groups?

Post by Niclas Lindblo » Fri, 20 Sep 2002 21:07:26

If you can call a VB script in your script you could determine the group
type. This examle lists the Universal groups in the Users OU

Set oDomain=GetObject("LDAP://cn=users,dc=mydomain,dc=com")
For Each group In oDomain
If group.grouptype="-2147483640" then
WScript.Echo group.samaccountname
End if
next

If this is something you could use, let me know if you need any further
assistance with some VB code that will do the job for you

Regards

Niclas

> both "net group" or "global" command against a universal group

> show only members that are in that group that share the domain the actual
> universal group is in??

> > >Is there a tool in the resource kit or anywhere that will correctly
> > >enumerate UNIVERSAL groups?  I am trying to use them in a logon script
> > >process for group membership when users are in the groups from multiple
> > >domains.

> > >local.exe and global.exe do not work!

> > >I am usin the latest version of Kixtart and it does not enumerate these
> > >groups correctly.  It only pulls the members that share the doamin with
> the
> > >group.

> > >tahnks alot!!

> > what happens when you type:
> > net group "GroupName" /domain
> > Does it enumerate the proper members?

> > Jerold Schulman
> > Windows Server MVP / Configuration Management
> > JSI, Inc.
> > http://www.jsiinc.com

1. Enumerating Universal Group membership on a Win2k domain in Native mode

Does any one know of any Api's to enumerate members  of universal groups  on
a Win2k domain in Native mode ?

I belive it is possible using ADSI interfaces , but I do not want to use
them to keep group membership enumerations uniform across NT4 and NT5
domains.  Or is this the only way?

All I know is that
    The NT4 Api NetGetGroupUsers is used for enumerating Global group
members, and  NetGetLocalGroupMembers is used for enumerating Domain Local
groups .

Alwyn

2. Paper Space Oddities

3. Moving Universal Distribution and Universal Security groups from transition domain

4. SCSI command for HP1553A DAT Autoloader

5. Member Local groups to Universal groups

6. Netscape with Win98

7. Enumerating Local Group Membership...

8. Connecting E3501 to ESS

9. DotNet; Enumerate Security Group contents

10. How to enumerate Group Policy Objects

11. Enumerating members of group in ActiveDirectory

12. ADSI syntax for enumerating through users & groups

13. Universal Group