event source w32time event id 62 & 64

Post by Erik » Fri, 07 Dec 2001 23:34:18

I have a 2K server as the root of my forest. It is the
only 2K system. All of my other servers are NT4 and so are
my workstations.

The server keeps logging the event id 62 & 64's. Basically
it is trying to resynchronize with something and it is
failing. I reviewed Q258059 from Microsoft. It was close
but not quite what I was looking for. Do I need to have
the server going out there to do a synch? Also if I do,
how can I go about correcting the issue since this is the
PDC and not just added to an NT4 network where an NT4
server is the PDC?

FYI: I think whenever it's trying to do a synch it is
killing my network. What I mean by that is my network is
going down at 4:45 almost every single day and magically
comes back on at 10:00. Weird, but I think it is related
to the time synch issue.

Many thanks in advance.

event source w32time event id 62 & 64

Post by greg » Sat, 08 Dec 2001 05:00:25

hi
have you set the name of a time server?
Take a look at: Article ID: Q216734.
If it's correct you should get in the worst case event 11:
'The NTP server didn't respond'.
cheers, gb

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I have a 2K server as the root of my forest. It is the
>only 2K system. All of my other servers are NT4 and so
are
>my workstations.

>The server keeps logging the event id 62 & 64's.
Basically
>it is trying to resynchronize with something and it is
>failing. I reviewed Q258059 from Microsoft. It was close
>but not quite what I was looking for. Do I need to have
>the server going out there to do a synch? Also if I do,
>how can I go about correcting the issue since this is the
>PDC and not just added to an NT4 network where an NT4
>server is the PDC?

>FYI: I think whenever it's trying to do a synch it is
>killing my network. What I mean by that is my network is
>going down at 4:45 almost every single day and magically
>comes back on at 10:00. Weird, but I think it is related
>to the time synch issue.

>Many thanks in advance.
>.

event source w32time event id 62 & 64

Post by Ron Low » Sat, 08 Dec 2001 18:36:12

Quote:> I have a 2K server as the root of my forest. It is the
> only 2K system. All of my other servers are NT4 and so are
> my workstations.

> The server keeps logging the event id 62 & 64's. Basically
> it is trying to resynchronize with something and it is
> failing. I reviewed Q258059 from Microsoft. It was close
> but not quite what I was looking for. Do I need to have
> the server going out there to do a synch? Also if I do,
> how can I go about correcting the issue since this is the
> PDC and not just added to an NT4 network where an NT4
> server is the PDC?

> FYI: I think whenever it's trying to do a synch it is
> killing my network. What I mean by that is my network is
> going down at 4:45 almost every single day and magically
> comes back on at 10:00. Weird, but I think it is related
> to the time synch issue.

> Many thanks in advance.

Like Greg says, you should manually configure the DC to synchronise
externally:

net time /setsntp:time.nist.gov
( or your choice of server. )

As detailled in the following article:
How to Configure an Authoritative Time Server in Windows (Q216734)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-GB;q216734

If you do not wish to have the DC sync to an external source, then you can
edit the registry:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Parameters

The value 'Type" ( REG_SZ ) can have one of 3 values:
Nt5DS    Sync with domain heirarchy ( default );
NTP        Sync with manually configured source;
NoSync    Do not sync.

If you set it to NoSync, then it will not throw errors in the Eventlog.

2000\XP clients should be set to sync from the Domain, by *not* manually
configuring a NTP time source:

net time /querysntp will list any manually configured time source;
net time /setsntp: will clear any previously configured.

Please see the following article for a good discussion onW32Time:
The Windows Time Service
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/docs/wintimeserv.doc

Good Luck,
Ron

1. w32time event id 62 & 64

[...]

2. ROT 13

3. Event ID 64 Win32time warning and Event ID 62 Win32time Error

4. TAPIVISION Problem

5. w32Time ID 62 & 64

6. Anyone have Prob w/ gopher.microsoft.com

7. W32time and Event ID 62 & 54

8. Busy Signal After Other Party Hangs Up

9. Event ID: 10006 Source: DCOM & Event ID: 3034 Source: MRxSmb

10. Event id 62 w32time

11. How to resolve Error - Event ID = 62 - w32time