Computer Self-Wakes from Hibernation

Post by Fred Chatea » Thu, 14 Sep 2000 18:03:07

This is probably more a general machine question than it is Win2k specific,
but I've noticed my new Compaq Ipaq wakes from hibernation several times
during the night for a few minutes, then goes back into hibernation mode.

I have a direct connection to the Internet (cable modem), and the machine
has something called Intel "Wake on LAN". Do you think this behavior is
being caused by attempts to access my machine remotely through IIS HTTP or
FTP, or am I way off base here?

Along that same line, anyone care to give an opinion on whether it is
necessary to run a firewall with a single Win2k machine and a direct
Internet connection? I use a firewall at another location where I have Win98
running, but I figure Win2k, with NTFS and high security policies, is secure
enough for home office use.

--

Regards,

Fred Chateau

Computer Self-Wakes from Hibernation

Post by Iwan Davie » Thu, 14 Sep 2000 23:23:43

Is your IP static, or do you get an IP from a DHCP server? This could simply
be the DHCP lease renewing. IBR is a problem, and I suppose mis-directed
packets could activate a PC with wake-on-lan.

Failing that, trying giving the IPAQ a nice glass of warm milk before
retiring for the night ;-)

As far as the firewall is concerned, I and many others use ZoneAlarm, which
is a free personal software firewall. It's very effective against script
kiddies, etc. Take a look at www.zonelabs.com. If you want to know what
others might be able to see on your (supposedly) secure W2K system, visit
grc.com and take the ShieldsUp! test. - I've no interest in any of these
products except as a happy user!

HTH
--
Iwan Davies

Quote:> This is probably more a general machine question than it is Win2k