Internet connection through VPN connection

Internet connection through VPN connection

Post by Steve » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 03:53:29

Hi All!

On my network I have a (Windows 2000 Advanced) server (192.168.1.1)
which is a Domaincontroller, DHCP, RAS server. The server has 2 NIC's,
1 local and 1 internet NIC

RAS is setup so that the clients can get to the internet.

I have 1 Wireless Access Point, and want the wireless users to
use VPN for there connection. The VPN connection is made correctly
they can ping the other local workstations (ip range 192.168.1.*)
But they can't get onto the internet through the VPN connection.

On the workstations that use VPN there is an option in the TCP/IP
properties 'Use default gateway on remote network' Using this doesn't
help. When on, the default gateway is the same as the IP address of
the VPN connection, when of, there is no gateway. I could set the
gateway to 192.168.1.1 but then the internetconnection wouldn't go
over the VPN connection.

So in short, I can't get to the internet via my VPN connection.

Any idea's what could be wrong and maybe idea's what I coudl check?

O yea, in Win2000 RAS Admin, at the server Properties -> IP tab I
have the option 'Enable IP routing' selected.

Internet connection through VPN connection

Post by bk » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 07:00:24

you cannot use internet on a vpn connection unless
You  setup a terminal server for that.
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi All!

>On my network I have a (Windows 2000 Advanced) server
(192.168.1.1)
>which is a Domaincontroller, DHCP, RAS server. The server
has 2 NIC's,
>1 local and 1 internet NIC

>RAS is setup so that the clients can get to the internet.

>I have 1 Wireless Access Point, and want the wireless
users to
>use VPN for there connection. The VPN connection is made
correctly
>they can ping the other local workstations (ip range
192.168.1.*)
>But they can't get onto the internet through the VPN
connection.

>On the workstations that use VPN there is an option in
the TCP/IP
>properties 'Use default gateway on remote network' Using
this doesn't
>help. When on, the default gateway is the same as the IP
address of
>the VPN connection, when of, there is no gateway. I could
set the
>gateway to 192.168.1.1 but then the internetconnection
wouldn't go
>over the VPN connection.

>So in short, I can't get to the internet via my VPN
connection.

>Any idea's what could be wrong and maybe idea's what I
coudl check?

>O yea, in Win2000 RAS Admin, at the server Properties ->
IP tab I
>have the option 'Enable IP routing' selected.
>.

Internet connection through VPN connection

Post by Steve » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 17:14:16

What is a terminal server??

Quote:> you cannot use internet on a vpn connection unless
> You  setup a terminal server for that.

1. Internet Connections thru VPN ?

Problem:  Users cannot get access to the internet, when connected thru VPN.

Hello, our users can connect remotely onto our corporate lan thru a VPN
connection and can get access to resources in the Local Corporate LAN.  We
are running a Win2K environment and our RAS is running VPN.  And a valid IP
Pool is provided and the correct  gateway is configured on the RAS Server.

Question 1 : Can RAS VPN be configured to allow internet access thru the vpn
connection?
Question 2 : How do I configure RAS VPN to provide Internet Access thru the
VPN connection?

Here is a copy of  IPConfig from a RAS VPN Connected Client

PPP adapter CorpVPN:

        Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
                                            192.168.4.184

C:\Program Files\Support Tools>

** Default Gateway configured on RAS VPN Server is 192.168.2.254 **

Thanks in Advance
-Tom

2. Mac expertise needed

3. Internet connection through a VPN connection

4. Microsoft Outlook 2002

5. VPN over dial-up connection loose other internet connections

6. Is this a VB.NET BUG or ASP.NET BUG???

7. VPN Connection disables internet connection...

8. Autodetecting LTP ports

9. VPN connection takes over internet connection

10. VPN - A VPN server requires that one connection be used as the private network connection

11. Internet Connection Sharing: Client permanently requests Build-up of Internet Connection

12. Can I access a VPN thru an ICS connection?

13. Can't Find Network Printers thru VPN Connection