Win2K, ICS & DSL

Post by Andrew Connel » Tue, 24 Oct 2000 04:00:00

I just got a USB DSL modem and have successfully set it up on both a Win98
machine and the Win2K Server machine... seperatly.  Both machines are also
networked via a hub.

What I'd like to do is connect the USB DSL modem to the Win2000 Server SP1
machine and use ICS to allow the Win98 machine to use the modem... using the
existing network I've setup.  Both machines have static IP's assigned to
them...

When I was trying to set this up, I was having some problems...  I was able
to successfully share the DSL connection via the LAN connection to the rest
of my network.  But I was not able to setup the Win98 machine to surf via
the Win2000 connection (but the Win2000 connection was still working).

Any help would be appreciated.
-AC

Win2K, ICS & DSL

Post by Matthew Noona » Wed, 25 Oct 2000 04:00:00

I've never had much luck with ICS, so I set out to use the Remote Routing
services in Win2k. The help files are pretty good at walking you through
setup. I'm no networking guru, but between that and DHCP, all of my
workstations run great while sharing my ISDN line.

Having a problem with NNTP, though...

Hope that helps.

Matt

Quote:> I just got a USB DSL modem and have successfully set it up on both a Win98
> machine and the Win2K Server machine... seperatly.  Both machines are also
> networked via a hub.

> What I'd like to do is connect the USB DSL modem to the Win2000 Server SP1
> machine and use ICS to allow the Win98 machine to use the modem... using
the
> existing network I've setup.  Both machines have static IP's assigned to
> them...

> When I was trying to set this up, I was having some problems...  I was
able
> to successfully share the DSL connection via the LAN connection to the
rest
> of my network.  But I was not able to setup the Win98 machine to surf via
> the Win2000 connection (but the Win2000 connection was still working).

> Any help would be appreciated.
> -AC

Win2K, ICS & DSL

Post by Andrew Connel » Thu, 26 Oct 2000 04:00:00

I tried to setup the Remote Routing services, but when I created the DSL
connection (demand-dial), it said that the modem couldn't be found.
However, I created a connection for the DSL modem with the EXACT same
parameters/properties in My Networking & Connections and it works fine.

-AC

> I've never had much luck with ICS, so I set out to use the Remote Routing
> services in Win2k. The help files are pretty good at walking you through
> setup. I'm no networking guru, but between that and DHCP, all of my
> workstations run great while sharing my ISDN line.

> Having a problem with NNTP, though...

> Hope that helps.

> Matt

> > I just got a USB DSL modem and have successfully set it up on both a
Win98
> > machine and the Win2K Server machine... seperatly.  Both machines are
also
> > networked via a hub.

> > What I'd like to do is connect the USB DSL modem to the Win2000 Server
SP1
> > machine and use ICS to allow the Win98 machine to use the modem... using
> the
> > existing network I've setup.  Both machines have static IP's assigned to
> > them...

> > When I was trying to set this up, I was having some problems...  I was
> able
> > to successfully share the DSL connection via the LAN connection to the
> rest
> > of my network.  But I was not able to setup the Win98 machine to surf
via
> > the Win2000 connection (but the Win2000 connection was still working).

> > Any help would be appreciated.
> > -AC

1. Win2k Adv Srv, ICS & DSL connection

I have Win2k Advanced Server with two nic's, one to my LAN and the other to my
DSL modem. When I attempt to enable ICS for the DSL connection I get the
following error:

An error occured while Internet Connection Sharing was being enabled.

Internet Connection Sharing cannot be enabled. The LAN connection selected as the
private network is either not present, or is disconnected from the network.
Please ensure that the LAN adapter is connected before enabling Internet
Connection Sharing.

I know for a fact that both nic's a working fine. I have plugged both of them
into the hub separately and they work. [NetGear FA310TX Fast Ethernet Adapter
(DC21x4)]

Are there any registry tweaks out there that I could try, or other settings.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

2. comp.dcom.net-management Network Management FAQ, Part 1/1

3. ICS Security with DSL & Cable

4. OTInetClientLib???

5. ICS & DSL

6. SAS C++ & Templates