Services descriptions

Post by Frederic Lavo » Sat, 06 Jul 2002 16:47:45

Hi,
Does anybody know where I could find a list describing the services
existing in windows 2000 (when they are needed ?, what for ? ...)
Thank you

Services descriptions

Post by Dave Patric » Sun, 07 Jul 2002 00:10:44

Glossary of Windows 2000 Services
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/howitworks/management/w...

--
Regards,

Microsoft MVP [Windows 2000 Client/ User Interface]

> Hi,
> Does anybody know where I could find a list describing the services
> existing in windows 2000 (when they are needed ?, what for ? ...)
> Thank you

1. Service description in W2K SCM?

Hi,

In the Services MMC snapin, there is a description field which all the native
W2K services use.  However, I can't find a method in the API to set this
field...

CreateService() doesn't provide an parameter for the description, and neither
WMI or ADSI support it.

The description field is stored in the registy along with all the other
information - for example, looking under
"HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog", you'll see a string value
called Description...

Anyway, short of didling the registry myself (throwing up problems when
installing a service remotely), does anyone know how programitcally add the
description?

Thanks a lot!
Stuart Carter

KVS Software

--
NB: Remove the 'z's if you want to mail me...spam prevention...

2. Help designing PDF template

3. service description

4. Install PWS?

5. Server service description in Win 2K

6. General grips about Remoting

7. Directory Service EventID descriptions

8. Newbie: Cabwiz.exe & setup.dll

9. Service names and Descriptions

10. How to set the description of server service in Win2K

11. Description of Services

12. Creating service in service using service control manager

13. The Terminal Services Licensing service terminated with service-specific error 3221291009.