2K Server, Active Directory, XP and 2K Pro client problems

2K Server, Active Directory, XP and 2K Pro client problems

Post by Bruce Staehl » Tue, 15 Oct 2002 09:42:49

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but if you set your profiles to be
roaming, they can be stored on the server. If you do this, and if you
store lots of stuff in the My Documents folder you might want to
redirect that folder so it doesn't stay with the roaming profile.

-Bruce

>  Hi All,

>  I just setup a Win2K server on my 3 seat network for
> testing purposes. I have come accross a problem for which
> I cannot seem to be able to find a remedy.

> Pro, to the 2K server. I sthis even possible? If so, how
> would I go about finding some information on how to do
> this?

> Thanks in advance.

2K Server, Active Directory, XP and 2K Pro client problems

Post by no0n » Tue, 15 Oct 2002 11:44:56

Thanks for the reply,

 Let me try to clarify.

 The local user's profile was changed when he joined the
domain as he is now using a domain account as opposed to a
local account. In the switch he lost his settings, and now
I am trying to maintain him as a domin user, but retain
the settings from the local account.

 I have copied the old profile to the server, and am now
going to change it to a roaming profile and see if that
works. Thanks for the tip.

Post by Bruce Staehl » Tue, 15 Oct 2002 20:52:37

I think you're on the right track. When the user logged on as a domain
user, a new separate profile was created on the local machine for the
domain user account. That's why his settings were lost. They're actually
still there, but for the local user account.
-Bruce

> Thanks for the reply,

>  Let me try to clarify.

>  The local user's profile was changed when he joined the
> domain as he is now using a domain account as opposed to a
> local account. In the switch he lost his settings, and now
> I am trying to maintain him as a domin user, but retain
> the settings from the local account.

>  I have copied the old profile to the server, and am now
> going to change it to a roaming profile and see if that
> works. Thanks for the tip.

1. Win 2K Pro, Win 2K Server, and Win 2K Advanced Server

Win 2K Pro, Win 2K Server, and Win 2K Advanced Server

    What is the difference between Win 2K Pro, Win 2K Server, and Win 2K
Advanced Server?  I own 3-4 PCs.  One of them needs to become to be Server.
It will have its own web site that allows people to access to the web site
into the server through the internet.  Please advise.

--
Regards,

Bryan Parkoff

2. 2-to-1 column mid-doc switcheroo

3. Dual boot w/ XP & 2k Pro but want to upgrade to 2k Server

4. Skins for VB.NET

5. WINDOWS 2K PRO CLIENTS LOOK TO 2K ADVANCED SERVER BEFORE NT 4.0 DC

6. !X font upgrade available from ftp.acorn.co.uk

7. Problems with 2k Pro desktops Synching with 2k Server

8. quick $$$ easy

9. Terminal Licensing is not recongnizing Win 2K pro/XP pro client license over VPN

10. Fast from 2K to XP, but slow from XP to 2k ???

11. NT to 2k Advanced Server (Active Directory problems)

12. Problem Installing Win XP Pro over Win 2K Pro

13. xp pro - win 2k server login problems