Win2k-98-3.51 Share prob. GOINING INSANE! Please Help!

Win2k-98-3.51 Share prob. GOINING INSANE! Please Help!

Post by Michael Curr » Tue, 19 Sep 2000 04:00:00



Hi,

We have a domain consisting of 1 Windows 2000 Server, 1 Windows 3.51 Server
and 40 Windows 98 Machines. I have a terrible problem which is driving me
INSANE.

I have a number of printers attached to Windows 98 machines which I need to
access from the Windows NT 3.51 Machine. All machines are in the same
Domain.

I can go to any windows 98 machine, browse the network and see the Printers
attached to the Windows 98 machines.
I can go to the Windows 2000 server and browse network neighbourhood and see
ALL the windows 98 machines by name, but clicking on them gives
\\<Computername> is not accessable. The Device cwas not found on the
network. SOMETIMES..... When this happens I can go to DOS and type net view
\\<computername >, I get error 53 - But if I type net view \\<IP ADDRESS>
The shares are shown and the computer becomes immediatly available in
network neighborhood.
When I go to the Windows NT 3.51 machine, I can always see all the windows
98 machines but NEVER see their shares or printers. I ALWAYS get does not
exist on Network. However I can PING the Windows 98 machines from any
computer.

Any ideas, I am going insane....

Thanks in advance

Michael

 
 
 

Win2k-98-3.51 Share prob. GOINING INSANE! Please Help!

Post by Tom Newto » Tue, 19 Sep 2000 04:00:00


I have the same problem. I can access the Win2k machine from Win98 client,
but can't access the Win98 machine's shared folders from the win2k client.
Yet I can "see" the Win98 machine. Frustrating indeed.

Tom


> Hi,

> We have a domain consisting of 1 Windows 2000 Server, 1 Windows 3.51
Server
> and 40 Windows 98 Machines. I have a terrible problem which is driving me
> INSANE.

> I have a number of printers attached to Windows 98 machines which I need
to
> access from the Windows NT 3.51 Machine. All machines are in the same
> Domain.

> I can go to any windows 98 machine, browse the network and see the
Printers
> attached to the Windows 98 machines.
> I can go to the Windows 2000 server and browse network neighbourhood and
see
> ALL the windows 98 machines by name, but clicking on them gives
> \\<Computername> is not accessable. The Device cwas not found on the
> network. SOMETIMES..... When this happens I can go to DOS and type net
view
> \\<computername >, I get error 53 - But if I type net view \\<IP ADDRESS>
> The shares are shown and the computer becomes immediatly available in
> network neighborhood.
> When I go to the Windows NT 3.51 machine, I can always see all the windows
> 98 machines but NEVER see their shares or printers. I ALWAYS get does not
> exist on Network. However I can PING the Windows 98 machines from any
> computer.

> Any ideas, I am going insane....

> Thanks in advance

> Michael



 
 
 

Win2k-98-3.51 Share prob. GOINING INSANE! Please Help!

Post by <de.. » Wed, 20 Sep 2000 04:00:00


Me too I gave up and put my printer on Win98 machines.


> I have the same problem. I can access the Win2k machine from Win98 client,
> but can't access the Win98 machine's shared folders from the win2k client.
> Yet I can "see" the Win98 machine. Frustrating indeed.

> Tom



> > Hi,

> > We have a domain consisting of 1 Windows 2000 Server, 1 Windows 3.51
> Server
> > and 40 Windows 98 Machines. I have a terrible problem which is driving
me
> > INSANE.

> > I have a number of printers attached to Windows 98 machines which I need
> to
> > access from the Windows NT 3.51 Machine. All machines are in the same
> > Domain.

> > I can go to any windows 98 machine, browse the network and see the
> Printers
> > attached to the Windows 98 machines.
> > I can go to the Windows 2000 server and browse network neighbourhood and
> see
> > ALL the windows 98 machines by name, but clicking on them gives
> > \\<Computername> is not accessable. The Device cwas not found on the
> > network. SOMETIMES..... When this happens I can go to DOS and type net
> view
> > \\<computername >, I get error 53 - But if I type net view \\<IP
ADDRESS>
> > The shares are shown and the computer becomes immediatly available in
> > network neighborhood.
> > When I go to the Windows NT 3.51 machine, I can always see all the
windows
> > 98 machines but NEVER see their shares or printers. I ALWAYS get does
not
> > exist on Network. However I can PING the Windows 98 machines from any
> > computer.

> > Any ideas, I am going insane....

> > Thanks in advance

> > Michael


 
 
 

Win2k-98-3.51 Share prob. GOINING INSANE! Please Help!

Post by Tom Newto » Fri, 22 Sep 2000 04:00:00


Solved! I had NOT been using "client for Microsoft networks" as my primary
windows logon. After switching from "windows logon" in "client for Microsoft
networks" in network properties everything works fine.

Tom


> Me too I gave up and put my printer on Win98 machines.



> > I have the same problem. I can access the Win2k machine from Win98
client,
> > but can't access the Win98 machine's shared folders from the win2k
client.
> > Yet I can "see" the Win98 machine. Frustrating indeed.

> > Tom



> > > Hi,

> > > We have a domain consisting of 1 Windows 2000 Server, 1 Windows 3.51
> > Server
> > > and 40 Windows 98 Machines. I have a terrible problem which is driving
> me
> > > INSANE.

> > > I have a number of printers attached to Windows 98 machines which I
need
> > to
> > > access from the Windows NT 3.51 Machine. All machines are in the same
> > > Domain.

> > > I can go to any windows 98 machine, browse the network and see the
> > Printers
> > > attached to the Windows 98 machines.
> > > I can go to the Windows 2000 server and browse network neighbourhood
and
> > see
> > > ALL the windows 98 machines by name, but clicking on them gives
> > > \\<Computername> is not accessable. The Device cwas not found on the
> > > network. SOMETIMES..... When this happens I can go to DOS and type net
> > view
> > > \\<computername >, I get error 53 - But if I type net view \\<IP
> ADDRESS>
> > > The shares are shown and the computer becomes immediatly available in
> > > network neighborhood.
> > > When I go to the Windows NT 3.51 machine, I can always see all the
> windows
> > > 98 machines but NEVER see their shares or printers. I ALWAYS get does
> not
> > > exist on Network. However I can PING the Windows 98 machines from any
> > > computer.

> > > Any ideas, I am going insane....

> > > Thanks in advance

> > > Michael


 
 
 

1. Event ID 9 and 51 Please Help

I have received this error. Does anyone knows what this means?
"The device, \Device\Scsi\aic78u21, did not respond within the timeout
period".

Also I get this working as well. Its Event error 51
"An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 during a paging
operation. "

Everything works fine except that my plextor cd-rom can't read any cd's thats
in the cd player. This happens right after I burn cd's from Nero. If I reboot,
seems that everything is ok again.

any suggestions?

2. Desktop slowing down due to Pinboard

3. Error 9 and Event 51 Please Help

4. HELP: alt.binaries.sounds.midi FAQ needs reviews, your help, etc...

5. event id 51 please help

6. Buffer List???

7. stalling prob with 98 please help!!!!!!

8. wirless connection

9. Please help!! I'm goin' nuts!

10. Win2k and 98 help pls (Network Prob)

11. Error 51 accessing 2000 server share from 95

12. Win2K AS under NT4 PDC & NT3.51 BDC?

13. upgrade winnt3.51 to win2k