"Command" won't let me "CD E:\"

Post by Ron Snide » Wed, 31 Jul 2002 05:57:45

I just installed Win2K with SP2, but no other updates.

When I  use Run and "command" or "cmd", I get the command window.  However,
I cannot change the drive letter to the Zip drive (D:\) or to the CD/DVD
(E:\).

It displays "D:\" or "E:\" below my instruction line, and immediately goes
back to the C:\ prompt !?

What is the reason for this?

Thanks!

-Ron Snider-

"Command" won't let me "CD E:\"

Post by Phil Roby » Wed, 31 Jul 2002 06:17:25

> I just installed Win2K with SP2, but no other updates.

> When I  use Run and "command" or "cmd", I get the command window.  However,
> I cannot change the drive letter to the Zip drive (D:\) or to the CD/DVD
> (E:\).

> It displays "D:\" or "E:\" below my instruction line, and immediately goes
> back to the C:\ prompt !?

> What is the reason for this?

> Thanks!

> -Ron Snider-

'cd d:\' is not really a valid command.  Instead, try

     cd /d d:\

or

     pushd d:\

--
t o    s e n d    e - m a i l    u s e    ' R e p l y - T o '
o r    u n z i p    m y    ' F r o m '    a d d r e s s  ....

"Command" won't let me "CD E:\"

Post by Martyn Col » Wed, 31 Jul 2002 07:05:57

Quote:>I just installed Win2K with SP2, but no other updates.

>When I  use Run and "command" or "cmd", I get the command window.  However,
>I cannot change the drive letter to the Zip drive (D:\) or to the CD/DVD
>(E:\).

>It displays "D:\" or "E:\" below my instruction line, and immediately goes
>back to the C:\ prompt !?

>What is the reason for this?

>Thanks!

>-Ron Snider-

To change to a different drive you just type the drive letter thus

C: to change to drive C:
E: to change to drive E:

--
Martyn.

"Command" won't let me "CD E:\"

Post by Bruce Chamber » Wed, 31 Jul 2002 08:10:25

Greetings --

    First of all, to change drives, you simply type the drive letter, a
colon (:), and then press enter.  The "cd" command is used to Change
Directories.  Secondly, there would need to be media in the removable drive
you're trying to see.

HTH&GL,

Bruce Chambers
__
The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice
versa. -- RAH