Exact 'clean install' steps for win2k SERVER [ from win2k]

Exact 'clean install' steps for win2k SERVER [ from win2k]

Post by jaso » Sun, 25 Aug 2002 01:27:04

Can I bore the newgroup by asking for the exact steps to do a 'clean
install' of win2k server over my win2k professional?

I am very green with regards software installation and I want to get it
right the first time (I know, a dream!).  I find the MS migration sites
confusing and sometimes completely intimidating. They seem aimed at highly
experienced users for which I can understand.  But, I just need a server
edition up and running with minimal requirements.

These are the main questions that are plagueing me:

1. Can I start boot up disk from within win2k pro - will the cd auto clean
harddrive?

2. I am mystified by partitions. I know that Server works best with NTFS
right, but I don't know how to go about it. With the CD provide a default I
can use and will this default - in your opinion - be robust.  I will be
using sql server 2000, visual studio, photoshop - only for dev. purposes.

3. I have hear of per seat etc - and that this will be asked by what exactly
do I put here or what can of questions can I expect.?

4. I am currently part of a small company and belong to a workgroup. I don't
really need the fancy functionality of DNS, Domains etc (at least not yet -
i think!). I just need to the server up and running; get my network and
dial-up settings reestablished.  What should I do during the installation to
acheive this aim.  I am concerned about 'Domain' vs 'Workgroup' questions  -
how do I approach this?

5. My computer currently has a name and is seen by the network. Will I
assign the same name during installation or do I have to do it later.
Relates to question 4.

6.  I am doing this on a IBM Thinkpad T23 Laptop with 20 Gigs space; 256 mb
ram; 1000 mhz cpu.  Are there any known issues with re: installing win
SERVER.  Literture is scarce to non-existent. I have posted this query on
the IBM site too.

7. Any other curve balls a 'green' installer should be aware of

Your advice is very much appreciated and I'm sure their are other newcomers
who would also welcome this focused advice.

Thanking you in advance
Jason

Exact 'clean install' steps for win2k SERVER [ from win2k]

Post by Ricardo M. Urbano - W2K/NT4 MV » Sun, 25 Aug 2002 08:43:03

Jason, depends on how *you want to be about this.  I'll tell you
what I would do, and if it seems a bit much, we can talk about what
steps/parts you can sacrifice.  My approach is only for servers where
minimum downtime and accessibility are of the utmost importance.

1) Boot w/ the W2K Pro CD and during setup, delete any and all
partitions on the hard drive.
2) Create a 2GB (2048MB) partition at the beginning of the drive and
install W2K Pro there on NTFS.  This will allow you to get at your hard
drives if your W2K server installation goes south
3) W2K setup will copy files to the hard drive, then boot into the
second part of the installation which is graphical (gui portion).  There
you will be prompted for the CD key, machine name and administrator
password.  You can use the same name here that you plan to ultimately
use for the server.
4) The second reboot will take you into W2K pro itself and you will be
prompted as to whether everyone must use a password to access the
system.  Make to answer yes to this and use the password established in
step 3 to login.
5) Make sure your drivers are the latest and, if you will be using a
static IP address, set that up now w/ the same IP address that the
server will be using.
6) Install the same Windows service pack that you plan to use for server
and likewise for IE.
7) Use Disk Management to create 2 more *primary* partitions of 9GB
(9x1024MB) each and format them NTFS.  Note that you might actually have
less than 18GB left over because Windows calculates GB differently than
hard drive manufacturers do.  Just split the remaining space in 2.
8) Reboot w/ the W2K Server CD and install it to the second partition.
9) The installation will be very similar to W2K Pro except that you will
have options as to what components to install.  Accept the defaults if
you want a vanilla installation.
10) Again, make sure your drivers are current, apply the SP and update
IE if you want to.
11) Configure your IP settings the same way you did for Pro
12) Finally, you can use Drive Image or Ghost to image the 1st 2
partitions to the 3rd (actually, I don't know if Ghost can write an
image file to an NTFS partition, but I know Drive Image can)

You can use the last partition for data and you can update your images
every time you make a major configuration change (such as after
installing SQL server).

That pretty much covers it from a high level perspective.

hth

--
Ricardo M. Urbano
Microsoft Windows 2000/NT MVP

Exact 'clean install' steps for win2k SERVER [ from win2k]

Post by jaso » Mon, 26 Aug 2002 12:27:05

Many thanks Ricardo - I was beginning to think I would never get a reply.
Before we go through some of the elimination steps I have to tell you I
don't have the Win2k Pro CD as it came pre-installed with my IBM Notepad
T23.....so how does this immediately change things!

ps: There is some guy and son on the networking newsgroup who recently
posted a message about a messed up win2k OS after trying to establish LAN
connections to their University - they also don't have the original CD! May
want to help them out if you get a chance!

> [...]

> > Relates to question 4.

> > 6.  I am doing this on a IBM Thinkpad T23 Laptop with 20 Gigs space; 256
mb
> > ram; 1000 mhz cpu.  Are there any known issues with re: installing win
> > SERVER.  Literture is scarce to non-existent. I have posted this query
on
> > the IBM site too.

> > 7. Any other curve balls a 'green' installer should be aware of

> > Your advice is very much appreciated and I'm sure their are other
newcomers
> > who would also welcome this focused advice.

> > Thanking you in advance
> > Jason

> --
> Ricardo M. Urbano
> Microsoft Windows 2000/NT MVP

Exact 'clean install' steps for win2k SERVER [ from win2k]

Post by Ricardo M. Urbano - W2K/NT4 MV » Wed, 28 Aug 2002 00:01:00

Ah, he contacted me directly by e-mail.  We corresponded briefly, but I
advised him that if he wanted more details, to post in this NG.  I know
basic networking very well, but not WAN technologies which is why I
leave the networking NG's to the pros ;->

If you purchased the laptop and license for W2K Pro legally, you should
definitely have the media.  In fact, you really cannot and should not
run NT w/o the media.  You need it for repairs or reinstallations.

I assume you have the server CD at least, right?

> [...]

> mb
> > > ram; 1000 mhz cpu.  Are there any known issues with re: installing win
> > > SERVER.  Literture is scarce to non-existent. I have posted this query
> on
> > > the IBM site too.

> > > 7. Any other curve balls a 'green' installer should be aware of

> > > Your advice is very much appreciated and I'm sure their are other
> newcomers
> > > who would also welcome this focused advice.

> > > Thanking you in advance
> > > Jason

> > --
> > Ricardo M. Urbano
> > Microsoft Windows 2000/NT MVP

--
Ricardo M. Urbano
Microsoft Windows 2000/NT MVP

Exact 'clean install' steps for win2k SERVER [ from win2k]

Post by jaso » Wed, 28 Aug 2002 03:12:50

...win2k pro on my machine is legal. But this is the situation:

I phoned IBM support and they told me that no original win2k pro cd comes
with the notepad.  Instead, there is HIDDEN partition accessible via F11
when you boot up that gives you access to

- diagnostics tools
- system recover (1)
- system recovery (2)

....he said this is used to recover the OS if something goes wrong. But, he
also recommended asking IBM for an original recovery disk that could take up
to 10 working days to arrive!

So, where does that leave us now.. :)

> [...]

> > > That pretty much covers it from a high level perspective.

> > > hth

> > highly

> > clean

NTFS
> > default I
> > purposes.

> > exactly

> > don't
> > yet -
> > installation to
> > questions  -

> > mb
> > on

> > newcomers

> > > --
> > > Ricardo M. Urbano
> > > Microsoft Windows 2000/NT MVP

> --
> Ricardo M. Urbano
> Microsoft Windows 2000/NT MVP

Exact 'clean install' steps for win2k SERVER [ from win2k]

Post by Ricardo M. Urbano - W2K/NT4 MV » Wed, 28 Aug 2002 22:39:47

This is why I despise the IBM ThinkPads.  I had a similar problem
because I *always* rebuild machines shipped w/ NT since the
manufacturers usually do a pretty lousy job of setting NT up.  I was
able to download all the drivers I needed from their website, but they
didn't have the DVD player available for download.  When I called and
begged and pleaded, they gave me the same horseshit answer; that the
only way to get the DVD player was to restore from their system
partition.  Of course I blew that away when resintalling since it is of
absolutely no worth.

They wouldn't budge, so I had to give the user his laptop w/o a DVD
player.

It's absolutely ridiculous!!

Anyway, you can forego the W2K Pro step or just install W2K Server
twice, but if you want, you can try calling MS Fullfilment and see if
they will ship you the W2K Pro media for a modest fee (materials and
shipping only) once they're convinced that you are a legal owner of the
license.

I would never buy a ThinkPad if I had the choice!!

jason wrote:

> [...]

> be
> > > purposes.

> > > exactly

> > > don't
> not
> > > yet -
> and
> > > installation to
> > > questions  -

> later.

> 256
> > > mb
> win
> query
> > > on

> > > newcomers

> > --
> > Ricardo M. Urbano
> > Microsoft Windows 2000/NT MVP

--
Ricardo M. Urbano
Microsoft Windows 2000/NT MVP

Exact 'clean install' steps for win2k SERVER [ from win2k]

Post by jaso » Thu, 29 Aug 2002 04:21:41

Hmm..I see what your saying - I had no idea this was the situation. Our
office manager did the original purchase and I just assumed I would get the
CD with the Notepad...

Okay, maybe we could consider going down route two which would be to do a
clean install of win2k server on NTFS with no partition for Win Pro...

1. The only thing is, I am not sure why you say "..can install win2k
twice" - why a second time?

2. Also, is there really no way to locate the DVD drivers - what if I copied
my existing drivers off the harddrive?

3. This also brings me to another troubling question: how the heck does one
establish what ibm notepad drivers will work on server....there is
absolutely no literture on subject, plus it seems IBM support will not help
with anything to with the Server family

4. ...I assume route two wipes out the hidden partition - will this have any
adverse affects later on?

cheers

"Ricardo M. Urbano - W2K/NT4 MVP" <r...@columbiaSPAM.SUCKSedu> wrote in
message news:3D6B8123.9BBAB10A@columbiaSPAM.SUCKSedu...

> [...]

take up
> > to 10 working days to arrive!

> > So, where does that leave us now.. :)

> > "Ricardo M. Urbano - W2K/NT4 MVP" <r...@columbiaSPAM.SUCKSedu> wrote in
> > message news:3D6A42AC.98EA89AC@columbiaSPAM.SUCKSedu...
> > > Ah, he contacted me directly by e-mail.  We corresponded briefly, but
> > > advised him that if he wanted more details, to post in this NG.  I
know
> > > basic networking very well, but not WAN technologies which is why I
> > > leave the networking NG's to the pros ;->

> > > If you purchased the laptop and license for W2K Pro legally, you
should
> > > definitely have the media.  In fact, you really cannot and should not
> > > run NT w/o the media.  You need it for repairs or reinstallations.

> > > I assume you have the server CD at least, right?

read more »

Exact 'clean install' steps for win2k SERVER [ from win2k]

Post by Ricardo M. Urbano - W2K/NT4 MV » Thu, 29 Aug 2002 08:20:36

See inline...

jason wrote:

> Hmm..I see what your saying - I had no idea this was the situation. Our
> office manager did the original purchase and I just assumed I would get the
> CD with the Notepad...

> Okay, maybe we could consider going down route two which would be to do a
> clean install of win2k server on NTFS with no partition for Win Pro...

> 1. The only thing is, I am not sure why you say "..can install win2k
> twice" - why a second time?

The reason for installing 2 copies of W2K, whether Pro and Server or 2
Servers is to give you access to the data on the drive if your main W2K
Server installation goes belly up.  Let's say, for example, that you
install the wonderful SP3 that was just released and you happen to be
one of the lucky few who end up in a reboot cycle and get the machine to
boot back into server.  W/ the W2K Pro or b/u Server installation, you
can boot into that and access any critical/time sensitive data, off load
it somewhere else if you need to, then get down to the work of repairing
your main W2K server installation.  I suggest W2K Pro as the backup
since it's smaller and simpler.

> 2. Also, is there really no way to locate the DVD drivers - what if I copied
> my existing drivers off the harddrive?

Good luck.  I put quite a bit of effort into trying to get the DVD
player, but it just wasn't possible.  I even got desperate and checked
out hastalavista.com, which is an underground hacker site, and they
didn't have it.  It's absolutely ridiculous that IBM limits the way you
can use their laptot; it's their way or no way.  If that is in the fine
print somewhere, I'd say they got a brass pair; if it's not, it's
shiesty and enough either way for me not to do business w/ them.  After
paying that kind of money, I should be able to use that damned laptop
and configure it any freakin' way I please.

OK, I'll get off the soapbox now...

> 3. This also brings me to another troubling question: how the heck does one
> establish what ibm notepad drivers will work on server....there is
> absolutely no literture on subject, plus it seems IBM support will not help
> with anything to with the Server family

NT drivers work across all families of a given version of the OS.  IOW,
modem drivers for NT4 work for NT4 Workstation, Terminal Server, Server,
Enterprise Server, etc.  Same for W2K.

> 4. ...I assume route two wipes out the hidden partition - will this have any
> adverse affects later on?

Only that you will have no way of restoring the system to factory
condition, but who would want to do that anyway unless you wanted to pay
$2500 for a DVD player.