cluster size.

Post by dj » Fri, 31 Jan 2003 03:35:21

is there a way to increase the cluster size of a NTFS partition without
losing data?

cluster size.

Post by Bjorn Landemo » Fri, 31 Jan 2003 04:47:58

dj

Not within the operating system. Check with www.partitionmagic.com, they
might have this possibility.

Best regards

Bjorn
--

Microsoft MVP - Windows Operating System

>is there a way to increase the cluster size of a NTFS partition without
>losing data?

cluster size.

Post by dj » Fri, 31 Jan 2003 05:30:47

I own a copy of servermagic - but I could not find that option. Before I
reformat -- is there a rule of thumb to follow when setting cluster sizes of
drives greater than 20 - 40 GB ??

> dj

> Not within the operating system. Check with www.partitionmagic.com, they
> might have this possibility.

> Best regards

> Bjorn
> --

> Microsoft MVP - Windows Operating System

> >is there a way to increase the cluster size of a NTFS partition without
> >losing data?

cluster size.

Post by Bjorn Landemo » Fri, 31 Jan 2003 06:55:48

dj

I see few reasons to change from the default 4kB. Doing so will disable the
use of NTFS compression.

There can be reasons to use other cluster sizes, though. If you have a lot
of small files on a partition, less than half a cluster size, you will
reduce slack space. If you only have large files on a partition, file
fragmentation can be reduced by having larger clusters.

Best regards

Bjorn
--

Microsoft MVP - Windows Operating System

>I own a copy of servermagic - but I could not find that option. Before I
>reformat -- is there a rule of thumb to follow when setting cluster sizes of
>drives greater than 20 - 40 GB ??

>> dj

>> Not within the operating system. Check with www.partitionmagic.com, they
>> might have this possibility.

>> Best regards

>> Bjorn
>> --

>> Microsoft MVP - Windows Operating System

>> >is there a way to increase the cluster size of a NTFS partition without
>> >losing data?

cluster size.

Post by Greg Hayes/Raxco Softwar » Sat, 01 Feb 2003 00:40:39

Cluster sizes larger than 4k will also mean that you can't defragment.

- Greg/Raxco Software
Microsoft MVP - Windows Storage Management/File System

Disclaimer:  I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a
commercial defrag utility, as a systems engineer in the support department.

> dj

> I see few reasons to change from the default 4kB. Doing so will disable
the
> use of NTFS compression.

> There can be reasons to use other cluster sizes, though. If you have a lot
> of small files on a partition, less than half a cluster size, you will
> reduce slack space. If you only have large files on a partition, file
> fragmentation can be reduced by having larger clusters.

> Best regards

> Bjorn
> --

> Microsoft MVP - Windows Operating System

> >I own a copy of servermagic - but I could not find that option. Before I
> >reformat -- is there a rule of thumb to follow when setting cluster sizes
of
> >drives greater than 20 - 40 GB ??

> >> dj

> >> Not within the operating system. Check with www.partitionmagic.com,
they
> >> might have this possibility.

> >> Best regards

> >> Bjorn
> >> --

> >> Microsoft MVP - Windows Operating System

cluster size.

Post by Bjorn Landemo » Sat, 01 Feb 2003 05:03:06

Greg

I know that I have read this somewhere, but I couldn't find any information
about it in the KB. Isn't this fixed in XP and successors?

Best regards

Bjorn
--

Microsoft MVP - Windows Operating System

>Cluster sizes larger than 4k will also mean that you can't defragment.

>- Greg/Raxco Software
>Microsoft MVP - Windows Storage Management/File System

>Disclaimer:  I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a
>commercial defrag utility, as a systems engineer in the support department.

>> dj

>> I see few reasons to change from the default 4kB. Doing so will disable
>the
>> use of NTFS compression.

>> There can be reasons to use other cluster sizes, though. If you have a lot
>> of small files on a partition, less than half a cluster size, you will
>> reduce slack space. If you only have large files on a partition, file
>> fragmentation can be reduced by having larger clusters.

>> Best regards

>> Bjorn
>> --

>> Microsoft MVP - Windows Operating System

>> >I own a copy of servermagic - but I could not find that option. Before I
>> >reformat -- is there a rule of thumb to follow when setting cluster sizes
>of
>> >drives greater than 20 - 40 GB ??

>they

>without

cluster size.

Post by Greg Hayes/Raxco Softwar » Sun, 02 Feb 2003 03:06:15

Yes,

In Windows XP, Microsoft has enhanced their defrag "APIs" and now support
defragmenting NTFS drives with larger cluster sizes.

- Greg/Raxco Software
Microsoft MVP - Windows Storage Management/File System

Disclaimer:  I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a
commercial defrag utility, as a systems engineer in the support department.

> Greg

> I know that I have read this somewhere, but I couldn't find any
information
> about it in the KB. Isn't this fixed in XP and successors?

> Best regards

> Bjorn
> --

> Microsoft MVP - Windows Operating System

> >Cluster sizes larger than 4k will also mean that you can't defragment.

> >- Greg/Raxco Software
> >Microsoft MVP - Windows Storage Management/File System

> >Disclaimer:  I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a
> >commercial defrag utility, as a systems engineer in the support
department.

> >> dj

> >> I see few reasons to change from the default 4kB. Doing so will disable
> >the
> >> use of NTFS compression.

> >> There can be reasons to use other cluster sizes, though. If you have a
lot
> >> of small files on a partition, less than half a cluster size, you will
> >> reduce slack space. If you only have large files on a partition, file
> >> fragmentation can be reduced by having larger clusters.

> >> Best regards

> >> Bjorn
> >> --

> >> Microsoft MVP - Windows Operating System

> >of

> >they

> >without

1. Cluster size's on partitions ?

Hi ,
maybe someone can help me, I'm trying to find out how win2k decides what
cluster size it should use and how it does it.
The reason why - is cos ive just installed a new 40gig hdd with 6 partitions
using good old standard fdisk, but when I check them with partition magic
the partitions seem to have differing cluster sizes. i.e.. C: win2k = 8k
clusters D:win98se =4k
E:Files =4k F:Databases = 512 G: backup =4k Linux =4k

It all seems a bit strange!
Can someone out there explain, and does it effect performance, as you can
probably guess I use this pc as a sort of file & database server.

any light would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Damian

2. Help! Can't delete empty dir with spaces in

3. Affects of Raid 64K stripe on my choice of file cluster size.

4. Data from edit control

5. How to specify cluster size with NTFS?

6. HELP: Slow access to the server

7. Pagefile disk cluster size for performance

8. Envizex II video problem

9. cluster size and performance

10. Can I change default cluster sizes on both drives?

11. NTFS 512b cluster size?

12. cluster size

13. Changing cluster size with Partition Magic 5.01