Boot problem (W2KPro)

Post by David Say » Fri, 13 Jul 2001 01:40:40

I managed to do something (not sure what at this point) that causes my
system to give a blue screen error on boot. It does this just as it is
about to start the desktop. Unfortunately, I set the machine to reboot
on Stop errors, so I don't even get the chance to see what the error
is (other than some flavour of KMODE) before it reboots. Attempting to
reboot in any of the Safe Modes fails. The only way I can get into it
is by booting from CD, selecting repair installation and getting to
the command prompt.
Needless to say, I don't have an ERD (will I ever learn?)
So I have some questions that I hope can be answered:
1. Is there any way that I can identify what the error is? I would
imagine that it is written out to a log file somewhere.
2. Where is the registry located? I installed a parallel clean W2K
build in another directory and hope that I might be able to resolve
the problem by figuring out which part of the original registry is
corrupted.
3. Apart from not wanting the hassle of reinstalling all my apps, I
have an encrypted folder and never thought to back up the certificates
(yes...), so if I'm unable to repair the original installation, is
there any way of getting to these encrypted files from the new
installation? I would imagine that the keys are located in the
original registry somewhere.

Thanks,

David.

Boot problem (W2KPro)

Post by Dave Patric » Fri, 13 Jul 2001 02:15:18

From your parallel install, run regedt32, then from the Local Machine Hive, choose  Registry|Load
Hive, than navigate to the
\WINNT\system32\config
directory on the other install, and find the system file, then Open, in the Key Name box give it
some temp name, then under tempname, navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Select
and look in the
D_Word value of "Current", this is the current controlset, then navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet00x\Control\CrashControl
Where x = the value of "Current" (found above) and set the values as follows

"AutoReboot"=dword:00000000
"CrashDumpEnabled"=dword:00000001
"LogEvent"=dword:00000001
"Overwrite"=dword:00000001
Then choose Unload Hive, and boot your original install, Autoreboot is now turned off so you should
be able to read the stop error.

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick
No email replies please - reply in newsgroup

--
[...]

Post by Resistance is Futile » Fri, 13 Jul 2001 08:17:49

Also, look in the Windows directory of the original installation (should be
WINNT) for a directory called Minidump - it should contain a minidump file
you can view through a text editor and possibly determine the culprit -
maybe new Video Drivers?

Quote:> From your parallel install, run regedt32, then from the Local Machine

Hive, choose  Registry|Load
Quote:> Hive, than navigate to the
> \WINNT\system32\config
> directory on the other install, and find the system file, then Open, in

the Key Name box give it
Quote:> some temp name, then under tempname, navigate to
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Select
> and look in the
> D_Word value of "Current", this is the current controlset, then navigate
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet00x\Control\CrashControl
> Where x = the value of "Current" (found above) and set the values as
follows

> "AutoReboot"=dword:00000000
> "CrashDumpEnabled"=dword:00000001
> "LogEvent"=dword:00000001
> "Overwrite"=dword:00000001
> Then choose Unload Hive, and boot your original install, Autoreboot is now

turned off so you should
> be able to read the stop error.

> --
> Regards,

> Dave Patrick
> No email replies please - reply in newsgroup

> --
> Regards,

> Dave Patrick
> No email replies please - reply in newsgroup

>  I managed to do something (not sure what at this point) that causes my

system to give a blue screen
Quote:> error on boot. It does this just as it is about to start the desktop.

Unfortunately, I set the
Quote:> machine to reboot on Stop errors, so I don't even get the chance to see

what the error is (other
Quote:> than some flavour of KMODE) before it reboots. Attempting to reboot in any

of the Safe Modes fails.
Quote:> The only way I can get into it is by booting from CD, selecting repair

installation and getting to
Quote:> the command prompt. Needless to say, I don't have an ERD (will I ever

learn?) So I have some
Quote:> questions that I hope can be answered: 1. Is there any way that I can

identify what the error is? I
Quote:> would imagine that it is written out to a log file somewhere. 2. Where is

the registry located? I
Quote:> installed a parallel clean W2K build in another directory and hope that I

might be able to resolve
Quote:> the problem by figuring out which part of the original registry is

corrupted. 3. Apart from not
Quote:> wanting the hassle of reinstalling all my apps, I have an encrypted folder

and never thought to back
Quote:> up the certificates (yes...), so if I'm unable to repair the original

installation, is there any way
Quote:> of getting to these encrypted files from the new installation? I would

imagine that the keys are

Quote:> located in the original registry somewhere. Thanks,
> David.

Boot problem (W2KPro)

Post by Dave Patric » Fri, 13 Jul 2001 08:14:19

Your reply is at the wrong level.

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick
No email replies please - reply in newsgroup

 Also, look in the Windows directory of the original installation (should be WINNT) for a directory
called Minidump - it should contain a minidump file you can view through a text editor and possibly
determine the culprit - maybe new Video Drivers?

Boot problem (W2KPro)

Post by Resistance is Futile » Fri, 13 Jul 2001 08:29:26

Oh, I forgot, here's the link on how to read the minidump if you have one:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q254/7/23.ASP

Quote:> From your parallel install, run regedt32, then from the Local Machine

Hive, choose  Registry|Load
Quote:> Hive, than navigate to the
> \WINNT\system32\config
> directory on the other install, and find the system file, then Open, in

the Key Name box give it
Quote:> some temp name, then under tempname, navigate to
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Select
> and look in the
> D_Word value of "Current", this is the current controlset, then navigate
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet00x\Control\CrashControl
> Where x = the value of "Current" (found above) and set the values as
follows

> "AutoReboot"=dword:00000000
> "CrashDumpEnabled"=dword:00000001
> "LogEvent"=dword:00000001
> "Overwrite"=dword:00000001
> Then choose Unload Hive, and boot your original install, Autoreboot is now

turned off so you should
> be able to read the stop error.

> --
> Regards,

> Dave Patrick
> No email replies please - reply in newsgroup

> --
> Regards,

> Dave Patrick
> No email replies please - reply in newsgroup

>  I managed to do something (not sure what at this point) that causes my

system to give a blue screen
Quote:> error on boot. It does this just as it is about to start the desktop.

Unfortunately, I set the
Quote:> machine to reboot on Stop errors, so I don't even get the chance to see

what the error is (other
Quote:> than some flavour of KMODE) before it reboots. Attempting to reboot in any

of the Safe Modes fails.
Quote:> The only way I can get into it is by booting from CD, selecting repair

installation and getting to
Quote:> the command prompt. Needless to say, I don't have an ERD (will I ever

learn?) So I have some
Quote:> questions that I hope can be answered: 1. Is there any way that I can

identify what the error is? I
Quote:> would imagine that it is written out to a log file somewhere. 2. Where is

the registry located? I
Quote:> installed a parallel clean W2K build in another directory and hope that I

might be able to resolve
Quote:> the problem by figuring out which part of the original registry is

corrupted. 3. Apart from not
Quote:> wanting the hassle of reinstalling all my apps, I have an encrypted folder

and never thought to back
Quote:> up the certificates (yes...), so if I'm unable to repair the original

installation, is there any way
Quote:> of getting to these encrypted files from the new installation? I would

imagine that the keys are

Quote:> located in the original registry somewhere. Thanks,
> David.

Boot problem (W2KPro)

Post by Resistance is Futile » Fri, 13 Jul 2001 08:31:10

Must have had a bad day :-)

> Your reply is at the wrong level.

> --
> Regards,

> Dave Patrick
> No email replies please - reply in newsgroup

>  Also, look in the Windows directory of the original installation (should

be WINNT) for a directory
Quote:> called Minidump - it should contain a minidump file you can view through a

text editor and possibly
Quote:> determine the culprit - maybe new Video Drivers?

Boot problem (W2KPro)

Post by David Say » Sat, 14 Jul 2001 01:32:44

Dave,

Many thanks for your reply. This enabled me to successfully read the
error message that was generated.

Regards,

David.

> From your parallel install, run regedt32, then from the Local Machine Hive, choose  Registry|Load
> Hive, than navigate to the
> \WINNT\system32\config
> directory on the other install, and find the system file, then Open, in the Key Name box give it
> some temp name, then under tempname, navigate to
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Select
> and look in the
> D_Word value of "Current", this is the current controlset, then navigate to
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet00x\Control\CrashControl
> Where x = the value of "Current" (found above) and set the values as follows

> "AutoReboot"=dword:00000000
> "CrashDumpEnabled"=dword:00000001
> "LogEvent"=dword:00000001
> "Overwrite"=dword:00000001
> Then choose Unload Hive, and boot your original install, Autoreboot is now turned off so you should
> be able to read the stop error.

> --
> Regards,

> Dave Patrick
> No email replies please - reply in newsgroup

> --
> Regards,

> Dave Patrick
> No email replies please - reply in newsgroup

>  I managed to do something (not sure what at this point) that causes my system to give a blue screen
> error on boot. It does this just as it is about to start the desktop. Unfortunately, I set the
> machine to reboot on Stop errors, so I don't even get the chance to see what the error is (other
> than some flavour of KMODE) before it reboots. Attempting to reboot in any of the Safe Modes fails.
> The only way I can get into it is by booting from CD, selecting repair installation and getting to
> the command prompt. Needless to say, I don't have an ERD (will I ever learn?) So I have some
> questions that I hope can be answered: 1. Is there any way that I can identify what the error is? I
> would imagine that it is written out to a log file somewhere. 2. Where is the registry located? I
> installed a parallel clean W2K build in another directory and hope that I might be able to resolve
> the problem by figuring out which part of the original registry is corrupted. 3. Apart from not
> wanting the hassle of reinstalling all my apps, I have an encrypted folder and never thought to back
> up the certificates (yes...), so if I'm unable to repair the original installation, is there any way
> of getting to these encrypted files from the new installation? I would imagine that the keys are
> located in the original registry somewhere. Thanks,
> David.

1. Tri boot W98, W2kpro & XP pro with NT boot loader ????

Hi there,

I plan to add Windows XP pro whilst keeping my W98SE and W2k o/s's until all
the XP drivers are available. My question is, is it possible to do this
using the NT boot loader that W2k puts into place or do I need some third
party software ?. I have two hard drives, the first is formatted FAT32 for
W98 and the second is NTFS for W2k. I understand that XP can be installed on
a primary or logical partition as long as this is on the first (boot) drive
so I plan to add a second partition after c:. I am worried that XP will
overwrite some of the W2k startup files. Has anyone had any experience with
this ?.Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Rob.

2. PocketMirror and Sony CLIE

3. copy local profiles W2Kpro to W2kpro

4. Xterm TERM type problems..

5. W2KPro to W2KPro VPN using L2TP possible?

6. Using 4017 or 4514 to control servos

7. Dual Boot W2KAS & W2KPro

8. C riddle (3)

9. How to recover user boot files??? W2KPro

10. Dual Boot setup W2kpro and win98

11. Including additional drivers in W2KPro boot CD

12. REPOST: Including additional drivers in W2KPro boot CD?

13. W2KPro Boot Disk