HP 764n & Win2k?

Post by Bill Crocke » Mon, 05 May 2003 21:29:37

I have a new HP 764n that came with WinXP Home.  I'd like to run Win2k Pro.
Does anyone know if all the hardware is supported in Win2k?

Thanks,
Bill Crocker

HP 764n & Win2k?

Post by Bruce Chamber » Mon, 05 May 2003 22:12:26

Greetings --

    To downgrade from WinXP to Win2K, you'll need a full version CD.
Before proceeding, though, you'd better take a few minutes to see if
there are any device drivers for the older OS available for the new
machine.  There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed by its
manufacturer for WinXP.  Also, check with the PC vendor to determine
whether or not replacing the pre-installed OS will void your warranty
and/or any service agreement(s), as normally the case.

    To replace WinXP with an earlier OS, you'll have to boot from the
appropriate boot disk, format the hard drive, and install.  There is
no known or supported downgrade path or technique.

    Simply boot from the Win2K installation CD.  You'll be offered the
opportunity to delete, create, and/or format the system partition as
part of the installation process.    (You may need to re-arrange the
order of boot devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
----
You can have peace.  Or you can have freedom.  Don't ever count on
having both at once. -- RAH

Quote:> I have a new HP 764n that came with WinXP Home.  I'd like to run
Win2k Pro.
> Does anyone know if all the hardware is supported in Win2k?

> Thanks,
> Bill Crocker

HP 764n & Win2k?

Post by Bill Crocke » Mon, 05 May 2003 22:28:46

Thanks Bruce!

I am familiar with all of what you advised, and appreciate your input.  My
main concern is supported drivers, as HP's web site shows drivers only for
XP, and usually, they will show others, if they're available.  I'm pretty
certain it's all supported.  The built-in NIC is a Realtek RTL8139, which is
supported by Win2k, so I'm comfortable that I will be able to get to the
internet to download what ever else I may need.

It won't void the warranty, as we do this kind of thing where I work (SBC),
with their Compaq's, that are normally supplied with Win2k, or WinXP, and
downgrade them to WinNT 4.0.  Although they have FINALLY decided to go with
Win2k, thank God!

WinXP is working good for me, but even with all the eye candy turned off, it
still seems like it has a lot of needless fat, and overhead.

Bill Crocker

> Greetings --

>     To downgrade from WinXP to Win2K, you'll need a full version CD.
> Before proceeding, though, you'd better take a few minutes to see if
> there are any device drivers for the older OS available for the new
> machine.  There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed by its
> manufacturer for WinXP.  Also, check with the PC vendor to determine
> whether or not replacing the pre-installed OS will void your warranty
> and/or any service agreement(s), as normally the case.

>     To replace WinXP with an earlier OS, you'll have to boot from the
> appropriate boot disk, format the hard drive, and install.  There is
> no known or supported downgrade path or technique.

>     Simply boot from the Win2K installation CD.  You'll be offered the
> opportunity to delete, create, and/or format the system partition as
> part of the installation process.    (You may need to re-arrange the
> order of boot devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)

> Bruce Chambers

> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> ----
> You can have peace.  Or you can have freedom.  Don't ever count on
> having both at once. -- RAH

> > I have a new HP 764n that came with WinXP Home.  I'd like to run
> Win2k Pro.
> > Does anyone know if all the hardware is supported in Win2k?

> > Thanks,
> > Bill Crocker

HP 764n & Win2k?

Post by phil » Mon, 05 May 2003 23:31:27

> Thanks Bruce!

> I am familiar with all of what you advised, and appreciate your input.  My
> main concern is supported drivers, as HP's web site shows drivers only for
> XP, and usually, they will show others, if they're available.  I'm pretty
> certain it's all supported.  The built-in NIC is a Realtek RTL8139, which
is
> supported by Win2k, so I'm comfortable that I will be able to get to the
> internet to download what ever else I may need.

> It won't void the warranty, as we do this kind of thing where I work
(SBC),
> with their Compaq's, that are normally supplied with Win2k, or WinXP, and
> downgrade them to WinNT 4.0.  Although they have FINALLY decided to go
with
> Win2k, thank God!

> WinXP is working good for me, but even with all the eye candy turned off,
it
> still seems like it has a lot of needless fat, and overhead.

> Bill Crocker

> > Greetings --

> >     To downgrade from WinXP to Win2K, you'll need a full version CD.
> > Before proceeding, though, you'd better take a few minutes to see if
> > there are any device drivers for the older OS available for the new
> > machine.  There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed by its
> > manufacturer for WinXP.  Also, check with the PC vendor to determine
> > whether or not replacing the pre-installed OS will void your warranty
> > and/or any service agreement(s), as normally the case.

> >     To replace WinXP with an earlier OS, you'll have to boot from the
> > appropriate boot disk, format the hard drive, and install.  There is
> > no known or supported downgrade path or technique.

> >     Simply boot from the Win2K installation CD.  You'll be offered the
> > opportunity to delete, create, and/or format the system partition as
> > part of the installation process.    (You may need to re-arrange the
> > order of boot devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)

> > Bruce Chambers

> > Help us help you:
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > ----
> > You can have peace.  Or you can have freedom.  Don't ever count on
> > having both at once. -- RAH

> > > I have a new HP 764n that came with WinXP Home.  I'd like to run
> > Win2k Pro.
> > > Does anyone know if all the hardware is supported in Win2k?

> > > Thanks,
> > > Bill Crocker

before you go to win2k
you may want to fine tune your XP setup
there are a few things you should be able to take out of startup

i run both XP and win2K here
and notice almost no difference in performance

if anything...XP runs a bit better