HELP! PC DOESN'T DETECT CD-ROM

Post by Bobb » Mon, 25 Dec 2000 07:45:47

I bought my daughter a CD-RW for Xmas but her PC doesn't detect the drive.
The PC was misbehaving before I bought the new CD-ROM - since the old drive
wasn't recognised either. The CD-ROM *is* recognised by the PC - it comes up
when the PC boots but neither Windows not the boot diskette can "find" the
CD-ROM drive. I done the following:

* used an alternative CD-ROM drive - no difference
* made the CD-ROM the slave to my HD so that I can use a single cable - no
difference
* made the drive master and slave - no difference
* reset my BIOS to the default settings - no difference.

Help! The PC seems to know that there's a CD-ROM drive but neither Windows
nor the boot diskette can find it (the boot diskette hangs if I select
"CD-ROM support" and it start to load the CD drivers - the boot diskette
works since it's OK on my own computer).

Help! It's her Xmas present.

--
---
Bobby

HELP! PC DOESN'T DETECT CD-ROM

Post by Pete » Mon, 25 Dec 2000 08:43:04

Which OS is this? You've sent this to both '98 & 2K groups!

Pete

Quote:> I bought my daughter a CD-RW for Xmas but her PC doesn't detect the
drive.
> The PC was misbehaving before I bought the new CD-ROM - since the old
drive
> wasn't recognised either. The CD-ROM *is* recognised by the PC - it
comes up
> when the PC boots but neither Windows not the boot diskette
can "find" the
> CD-ROM drive. I done the following:

> * used an alternative CD-ROM drive - no difference
> * made the CD-ROM the slave to my HD so that I can use a single
cable - no
> difference
> * made the drive master and slave - no difference
> * reset my BIOS to the default settings - no difference.

> Help! The PC seems to know that there's a CD-ROM drive but neither
Windows
> nor the boot diskette can find it (the boot diskette hangs if I select
> "CD-ROM support" and it start to load the CD drivers - the boot
diskette
> works since it's OK on my own computer).

> Help! It's her Xmas present.

> --
> ---
> Bobby

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

HELP! PC DOESN'T DETECT CD-ROM

Post by Nutcas » Mon, 25 Dec 2000 08:56:56

Hi,

Check and recheck the jumpers.
--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase"

Please reply only to newsgroup so that everyone can benefit. e-mail address
changed just enough to block spam, but I don't respond to unsolicited
messages. Thanks....

Quote:> I bought my daughter a CD-RW for Xmas but her PC doesn't detect the drive.
> The PC was misbehaving before I bought the new CD-ROM - since the old
drive
> wasn't recognised either. The CD-ROM *is* recognised by the PC - it comes
up
> when the PC boots but neither Windows not the boot diskette can "find" the
> CD-ROM drive. I done the following:

> * used an alternative CD-ROM drive - no difference
> * made the CD-ROM the slave to my HD so that I can use a single cable - no
> difference
> * made the drive master and slave - no difference
> * reset my BIOS to the default settings - no difference.

> Help! The PC seems to know that there's a CD-ROM drive but neither Windows
> nor the boot diskette can find it (the boot diskette hangs if I select
> "CD-ROM support" and it start to load the CD drivers - the boot diskette
> works since it's OK on my own computer).

> Help! It's her Xmas present.

> --
> ---
> Bobby

HELP! PC DOESN'T DETECT CD-ROM

Post by Bill Wat » Mon, 25 Dec 2000 09:15:10

Try booting into the BIOS and configure the CDRW drive to NONE. This
is what I had to do and it was  recommended.  I have the HDD set to
Auto and the other CD and Zip drive set to NONE in the BIOS. I have
the CDRW on the secondary channel as master.

Happy Holidays

Bill Watt
Computer Help and Tips  http://home.epix.net/~bwatt/
Remove one x in From Address to reply.

______________original message____________

:
:* used an alternative CD-ROM drive - no difference
:* made the CD-ROM the slave to my HD so that I can use a single cable - no
:difference
:* made the drive master and slave - no difference
:* reset my BIOS to the default settings - no difference.
:
:Help! The PC seems to know that there's a CD-ROM drive but neither Windows
:nor the boot diskette can find it (the boot diskette hangs if I select
:"CD-ROM support" and it start to load the CD drivers - the boot diskette
:works since it's OK on my own computer).
:
:Help! It's her Xmas present.

HELP! PC DOESN'T DETECT CD-ROM

Post by Tony Faubu » Mon, 25 Dec 2000 12:18:07

If you have a single hard drive system your CDROM's should both be on the
SECONDARY controller with the CDRW as MASTER and verify the jumpers are
correct. In the BIOS set all hard drives settings to NONE except the Primary
Master because you only need to look for the one hard drive you have. Then,
try updating your IDE drivers. If you have never done this before you are
probably using default Microsoft drivers which aren't always compatible with
newer CD drives. Go to your chipset manufacturer's website (most current
source) or your motherboard manufacturer's website for the most current IDE
drivers. Last resorts are to update your BIOS and try disabling devices that
you are not using like USB or serial ports in the BIOS and see if they
aren't interfering. Once you are up and running ensure DMA is enabled in the
device manager for both CD Drives.
Good Luck
I don't get paid for this but I've been told my help is worth $50 an hour.
;)

Quote:> I bought my daughter a CD-RW for Xmas but her PC doesn't detect the drive.
> The PC was misbehaving before I bought the new CD-ROM - since the old
drive
> wasn't recognised either. The CD-ROM *is* recognised by the PC - it comes
up
> when the PC boots but neither Windows not the boot diskette can "find" the
> CD-ROM drive. I done the following:

> * used an alternative CD-ROM drive - no difference
> * made the CD-ROM the slave to my HD so that I can use a single cable - no
> difference
> * made the drive master and slave - no difference
> * reset my BIOS to the default settings - no difference.

> Help! The PC seems to know that there's a CD-ROM drive but neither Windows
> nor the boot diskette can find it (the boot diskette hangs if I select
> "CD-ROM support" and it start to load the CD drivers - the boot diskette
> works since it's OK on my own computer).

> Help! It's her Xmas present.

> --
> ---
> Bobby

HELP! PC DOESN'T DETECT CD-ROM

Post by Lee Chapell » Mon, 25 Dec 2000 18:59:06

Quote:> I bought my daughter a CD-RW for Xmas but her PC doesn't detect the drive.
> The PC was misbehaving before I bought the new CD-ROM - since the old
drive
> wasn't recognised either.

What do you mean "misbehaving"

 The CD-ROM *is* recognised by the PC - it comes up

Quote:> when the PC boots but neither Windows not the boot diskette can "find" the
> CD-ROM drive.

Which CD-ROM drive?

 I done the following:

Quote:

> * used an alternative CD-ROM drive - no difference
> * made the CD-ROM the slave to my HD so that I can use a single cable - no
> difference
> * made the drive master and slave - no difference
> * reset my BIOS to the default settings - no difference.

No CD-ROM will work? Only the new one is not working?

Quote:

> Help! The PC seems to know that there's a CD-ROM drive but neither Windows
> nor the boot diskette can find it (the boot diskette hangs if I select
> "CD-ROM support" and it start to load the CD drivers - the boot diskette
> works since it's OK on my own computer).

I can't tell what the situation is from your post.

Lee

1. CD-ROM doesn't detect disk change

I have CD-ROMS installed on three Windows 2000 SP-3 systems.
When running an file extract program like WINRAR or Power
Archiver and it calls for the second CD the CD isn't
recognized when it is inserted.
For some reason the system thinks that the original CD is
still in the drive.
If you swap CD's and open the drive with 'My Computer' the
drive will accurately display the files on each CD inserted.
However if you run the application to the point where it
wants the second CD, trying to open the CD with 'My
Computer' shows the file(s) on the original CD no matter
what you put in the drive.
The drive seems to spin up as though it's reading the CD
directory but it never gets displayed. Since the
applications simply ask for the 2nd CD again it seems that
they are only seeing the file(s) on the first CD.
This looks like a driver problem so here's a list of the
drivers:
CD-ROM -- cdrom.sys 5.00.2195.4809, redbook.sys
5.00.2195.4326, storprop.dll 5.00.2195.4326
VIA IDE Controller -- picide.sys 5.00.2195.4326,
pciidex.sys 5.00.2195.4664,  atapi.sys 5.00.2195.5376
IDE Channels -- atapi.sys 5.00.2195.5376,  storprop.dll
5.00.2195.4326
All drivers are Microsoft. Changing the drivers to the
latest VIA driver (viaide.sys 5.00.2195.120) does not affect
the problem.
Contacting the application support folks gets the reply that
they think it must be either a hardware or driver problem
and they don't see why an application would prevent the
CD-ROM from updating it's directory.
Any ideas would be very appreciated.

DONP

2. Old Pang Clone

3. Sometimes Win2k doesn't want to detect my CD-ROM

4. DSP56k development on Linux

5. CD-ROM won't detect/autoplay audio CD's

6. Tektronix 440 Dyesub Printer 4Sale (BRAND NEW)

7. Lost CD-Rom and DVD, registry fix below doesn't help

8. CD-ROM doesn't work after uninstalling easycdcreator...please help

9. HELP: Why won't W2K not accept 2 CD-ROM players in one pc ?

10. Windows-Explorer doesn't refesh CD-ROM's

11. CD-ROM doesn't recognise 2nd CD

12. Windows-Explorer doesn't refesh CD-ROM's