Ping sometimes returns RRAS address not NIC address of remote vpn machines

Ping sometimes returns RRAS address not NIC address of remote vpn machines

Post by Tin » Thu, 24 Jan 2002 23:41:33

I have a W2K SP2 router-router vpn network that works ok. The only
niggling thing is that when I try to ping a machine on the remote
network sometimes it returns the NIC address, sometimes it returns
it's RRAS address (from its connection to the local network) and
sometimes it returns the RAS address that it issued to this networks'
VPN router! I can't see any pattern as to which address it will
return, and sometimes an ipconfig/flushdns re-returns the reply to the
NIC and sometimes it doesn't.
I've tried the option for the RRAS adapter not to register the RRAS
address in our W2K dns but that does nothing, I've also tried a
registry setting which disabled dns registration, but that caused the
whole thing to stop working.

Any ideas? Any help greatly apprecicated.

Tino.

1. ping returns incorrect (RRAS) IP address for DC

I have two DCs on the same subnet.
(server3 = 10.0.0.3 and server4 = 10.0.0.4)

server4 also is a RRAS server with a single incoming modem.

I am having user repleication problems and ahve a bunch of error
messages I am trying to get rid of.

On technet article (Q272279) suggests pinging.

When I ping server3 from server4 the IP addresses are correct.
When I ping server4 from server3 it returns the IP address 10.0.0.100
which is in the IP space reserverd for the RRAS client.

I imagine this is causing some of my problems-

Unfortunately the article does not tell me how to resolve this.

Carol

2. stone soup game

3. ping on DC return RRAS IP address

4. Money 2001 and WinXP

5. Can not ping own ip address or the loop back address

6. query.dll file request

7. PING RETURNS INCORRECT IP ADDRESS

8. JetFile: Idiots guide to usage needed please !!

9. Pinging Server returns diff IP Addresses

10. XP Pro name resolution: ping -a <address> doesn't return a host name

11. Wrong IP address returned when RRAS adaptor exists

12. Cannot ping additional IP addresses on external Nic.

13. RRAS and static addresses instead of specified range of addresses