Fixed IPs, ADSL router, Slow logins

Post by Dan » Mon, 01 Apr 2002 08:00:10

Hi
I have a Win 2000 Server and about 10 NT/Win2000 Pro
clients. I run fixed IPs because of conflicts with the
ADSL router on the network. Everything works ok except
roaming profiles can take ages to log on/off.
The Pri DNS IP is the ADSL/BTOpenworld one. If i change
the Pri DNS to the local server address then log on/off is
almost instant.

I had thought to get the server to share the internet
connection with ICS....

Can any one tell me the best thing to do?

many thanks
Dan

Fixed IPs, ADSL router, Slow logins

Post by Georg » Mon, 01 Apr 2002 15:35:18

Leave your server be a DNS stub, but master for LAN, and run DHCP.

Fixed IPs, ADSL router, Slow logins

Post by Dan » Tue, 02 Apr 2002 21:45:26

Thanks for the reply George
I am not familiar with "DNS stub" can you give me an idea
where to start?

cheers
Dan

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Leave your server be a DNS stub, but master for LAN, and
run DHCP.

>.

1. Router to Network Traceroute Slow, Fixed after reboot

I have a win2k server, when the server is up for a while, about 24 hours, A
traceroute indicates slow access from my router to any internal computer.
Sort of like someone is downloading the hell out of something.  But that is
not the case. When I reboot the win2k server it goes away only to return
sometime later.

The only unusual software on my network is the win2k server is running
Norton Corporate Antivirus 7.1.  I cannot see anything happening on the
network.  Such as downloading uploading or access of any kind.  At first I
thought Norton was updating, however, that happens in the middle of the
night.

Also I am attempting to retire another server running the same version of
the operating system with same cd key.  I only mention this to see if anyone
knows if there is a Microsoft protection feature to keep you from installing
Win2k Server on more than one computer.  It's been up for a week.  It taken
me that long to get it configured properly for the switch.

I have network monitor installed but that's all Greek to me.

Help appreciated.

2. STOP!!!

3. Slow login with Linksys Router

4. IncrediMail Registration Problem

5. ADSL internet connection sharing for LAN with static IPs?

6. cond_signal() before or after mutex_unlock()?

7. Mi login is too slow SLOW really... SLOW

8. Newsreader

9. Is there a router with multiple WAN IPs??

10. Two IPs needed for router/workstation combo

11. DNS and router : Can't resolve internet IPs

12. 2 IPs need to pass my router

13. DHCP: router vs. server assigned IPs?