Why 'Inaccessible_Boot_Drive' when installing win2k?

Why 'Inaccessible_Boot_Drive' when installing win2k?

Post by Wind » Sun, 10 Sep 2000 14:19:12

Hi;
Can't install Win2k! Everytime I get the message 'inaccessible_Boot_drive'.

i partioned my drive to have c,d, e, f
I used PartionMagic to create an OS primary partion for Win2k.
PartionMagic positioned the new partion just after my C drive
All my partions are  FAT32.

On the 'c' I got windows98 which is working fine.
I checked my drive and found no errors in boot sector or anywhere else.

What should I do?

Please help
Thank you very much

wendy

Why 'Inaccessible_Boot_Drive' when installing win2k?

Post by John McCo » Sun, 10 Sep 2000 15:55:58

What hard disk controller are you using?

--
John McCoy

ClubWin

Quote:> Hi;
> Can't install Win2k! Everytime I get the message

'inaccessible_Boot_drive'.
Quote:

> i partioned my drive to have c,d, e, f
> I used PartionMagic to create an OS primary partion for Win2k.
> PartionMagic positioned the new partion just after my C drive
> All my partions are  FAT32.

> On the 'c' I got windows98 which is working fine.
> I checked my drive and found no errors in boot sector or anywhere else.

> What should I do?

> Please help
> Thank you very much

> wendy

Why 'Inaccessible_Boot_Drive' when installing win2k?

Post by Wind » Sun, 10 Sep 2000 20:30:06

using Asus ATA Ultra 100

> What hard disk controller are you using?

> --
> John McCoy

> ClubWin

> > Hi;
> > Can't install Win2k! Everytime I get the message
> 'inaccessible_Boot_drive'.

> > i partioned my drive to have c,d, e, f
> > I used PartionMagic to create an OS primary partion for Win2k.
> > PartionMagic positioned the new partion just after my C drive
> > All my partions are  FAT32.

> > On the 'c' I got windows98 which is working fine.
> > I checked my drive and found no errors in boot sector or anywhere else.

> > What should I do?

> > Please help
> > Thank you very much

> > wendy

Why 'Inaccessible_Boot_Drive' when installing win2k?

Post by Tim Hines, MCS » Sun, 10 Sep 2000 22:51:48

Usually this error is a result of you not installing the proper controller
driver during setup.  Download the driver for your controller and save it on
a floppy, run the install and press F6 that you can specify a controller,
you will then be prompted to insert the disk for the drivers.

Tim Hines, MCSE

> using Asus ATA Ultra 100

> > What hard disk controller are you using?

> > --
> > John McCoy

> > ClubWin

> > > Hi;
> > > Can't install Win2k! Everytime I get the message
> > 'inaccessible_Boot_drive'.

> > > i partioned my drive to have c,d, e, f
> > > I used PartionMagic to create an OS primary partion for Win2k.
> > > PartionMagic positioned the new partion just after my C drive
> > > All my partions are  FAT32.

> > > On the 'c' I got windows98 which is working fine.
> > > I checked my drive and found no errors in boot sector or anywhere
else.

> > > What should I do?

> > > Please help
> > > Thank you very much

> > > wendy

Why 'Inaccessible_Boot_Drive' when installing win2k?

Post by Neal Matthi » Sun, 10 Sep 2000 04:17:30

I have a Promise ATA-100 controller and the instructions say to do this:

1) Physically install the card but don't connect your hard drive to it.
Leave the drive connected to the onboard IDE controller.
2) Boot Win2000 and Windows will detect the ATA card and install the drivers
(may ask for drivers).
3) Shut the machine down and connect the harddrive to the ATA-100 controller
card.
4) When you reboot, during the post when the ATA card's BIOS runs it will
say that the ATA-100 card's BIOS is not installed.  Don't worry about that.
Just let it continue.
5) When Windows loads, it will make a few setting and driver changes in the
background and ask you to restart the machine.  Do so and after this last
reboot, the machine should be working fine.

Basically Windows treats the ATA-100 card as a SCSI adapter.  The above
procedure is indeed exactly how you would install a new SCSI adapter.  In
fact Win2000's (and Win98's) device manager will identify the ATA card as a
SCSI adapter and the hard drive as a SCSI drive.  I'm willing to bet that
this same process is required for your Asus card under Win2000.  Hope this
helps.

Neal

> using Asus ATA Ultra 100

> > What hard disk controller are you using?

> > --
> > John McCoy

> > ClubWin

> > > Hi;
> > > Can't install Win2k! Everytime I get the message
> > 'inaccessible_Boot_drive'.

> > > i partioned my drive to have c,d, e, f
> > > I used PartionMagic to create an OS primary partion for Win2k.
> > > PartionMagic positioned the new partion just after my C drive
> > > All my partions are  FAT32.

> > > On the 'c' I got windows98 which is working fine.
> > > I checked my drive and found no errors in boot sector or anywhere
else.

> > > What should I do?

> > > Please help
> > > Thank you very much

> > > wendy

Why 'Inaccessible_Boot_Drive' when installing win2k?

Post by Wind » Mon, 11 Sep 2000 06:46:59

John, here are the specs:

Asus A7V mb
Promis controller ... IBM Deskstar
128 RAM
installed from win98

> What hard disk controller are you using?

> --
> John McCoy

> ClubWin

> > Hi;
> > Can't install Win2k! Everytime I get the message
> 'inaccessible_Boot_drive'.

> > i partioned my drive to have c,d, e, f
> > I used PartionMagic to create an OS primary partion for Win2k.
> > PartionMagic positioned the new partion just after my C drive
> > All my partions are  FAT32.

> > On the 'c' I got windows98 which is working fine.
> > I checked my drive and found no errors in boot sector or anywhere else.

> > What should I do?

> > Please help
> > Thank you very much

> > wendy

Why 'Inaccessible_Boot_Drive' when installing win2k?

Post by Tommy Ribo » Mon, 11 Sep 2000 16:30:31

wendy,

You want to install w2k to a second primary partition, starting the
installation from w98, right.
To the best of my knowledge, w9x does not support more than one _primary_
partition.
The assignment of drive letters probably differs between w9x and w2k.
There is an option to defer the choice of partition until after the first
reboot (to the w2k setup program).
As I recall, you have to make sure that the temporary setup files are
accessible on reboot, if they are copied to C: that shouldn't be a problem.

An alternative approach might be to boot the setup program directly from the
CD.
I've found that the Promise (Ultra66) bios doesn't boot from CD, you may
need to temporarily switch to the internal IDE controller on the motherboard
(relevant for A7V?). Leave the internal IDE controller enabled when you
switch back to the Promise after a successful installation, or you may have
to edit boot.ini to address the appropriate controller (additional issues
here, "multi" vs "scsi" syntax)

regards,
Tommy Riboe

> John, here are the specs:

> Asus A7V mb
> Promis controller ... IBM Deskstar
> 128 RAM
> installed from win98

> > What hard disk controller are you using?

> > --
> > John McCoy

> > ClubWin

> > > Hi;
> > > Can't install Win2k! Everytime I get the message
> > 'inaccessible_Boot_drive'.

> > > i partioned my drive to have c,d, e, f
> > > I used PartionMagic to create an OS primary partion for Win2k.
> > > PartionMagic positioned the new partion just after my C drive
> > > All my partions are  FAT32.

> > > On the 'c' I got windows98 which is working fine.
> > > I checked my drive and found no errors in boot sector or anywhere
else.

> > > What should I do?

> > > Please help
> > > Thank you very much

> > > wendy

Why 'Inaccessible_Boot_Drive' when installing win2k?

Post by E » Wed, 13 Sep 2000 05:35:17

    Use the F6 option at the beginning of the install and have your driver
disk for the ata-100 controller handy.  When it asks to select which one,
use the other option and it will prompt you for the driver.  If it proceeds
past this point there should be no problems.

Quote:> Hi;
> Can't install Win2k! Everytime I get the message

'inaccessible_Boot_drive'.
Quote:

> i partioned my drive to have c,d, e, f
> I used PartionMagic to create an OS primary partion for Win2k.
> PartionMagic positioned the new partion just after my C drive
> All my partions are  FAT32.

> On the 'c' I got windows98 which is working fine.
> I checked my drive and found no errors in boot sector or anywhere else.

> What should I do?

> Please help
> Thank you very much

> wendy

1. Why 'Inaccessible_Boot_Drive' when installing win2k?

Hi;
Can't install Win2k! Everytime I get the message 'inaccessible_Boot_drive'.

i partioned my drive to have c,d, e, f
I used PartionMagic to create an OS primary partion for Win2k.
PartionMagic positioned the new partion just after my C drive
All my partions are  FAT32.

On the 'c' I got windows98 which is working fine.
I checked my drive and found no errors in boot sector or anywhere else.

What should I do?

Please help
Thank you very much

wendy

2. comp.par/comp.sys.super (16/28) FAQ

3. Sec. Vulnerability in ftpd Rev.02

4. Mac Tester Avail Seattle

5. Thanks folks...

6. Exact steps for 'Clean install' of win2k Server [from win2k pro]

7. 'rogueapp' subdir in my 'program files' - how, why, what?

8. Exact 'clean install' steps for win2k SERVER [ from win2k]

9. Why does win98 always '20 times/day' check my A: drive 'HELP'

10. Why does Win2K keep asking me for Office install cd's?