Folder Permissions - Read/Write/Delete but not delete or move folders

Folder Permissions - Read/Write/Delete but not delete or move folders

Post by James Sheeri » Sat, 23 Nov 2002 02:47:20

Is it possible to set up permissions/security on Windows 200 Server so
as to allow users full access rights to folders but not allow them to
move or delete the folders themselves?

We have a few staff who appear to be careless with their mouse movements
and are continually having to search for folders which have been
"dragged and dropped" to strange places on the  server!
--
James Sheerin

Folder Permissions - Read/Write/Delete but not delete or move folders

Post by Ned Flander » Sat, 23 Nov 2002 12:50:25

Are the users at the "clue level" where they immediately realize what
they've done?  If so, maybe let them know that pressing CTRL-Z (or from
Explorer, click Edit, Undo Move) will reverse the move operation.

Quote:> Is it possible to set up permissions/security on Windows 200 Server so
> as to allow users full access rights to folders but not allow them to
> move or delete the folders themselves?

> We have a few staff who appear to be careless with their mouse
> movements and are continually having to search for folders which have
> been "dragged and dropped" to strange places on the  server!

Folder Permissions - Read/Write/Delete but not delete or move folders

Post by James Sheeri » Sat, 23 Nov 2002 16:52:10

Quote:>Are the users at the "clue level" where they immediately realize what
>they've done?  If so, maybe let them know that pressing CTRL-Z (or from
>Explorer, click Edit, Undo Move) will reverse the move operation.

Thanks Ned, but I'm not sure.  The suspected offenders are probably more
at a "haven't a clue level"!
--
James Sheerin

Folder Permissions - Read/Write/Delete but not delete or move folders

Post by Ned Flander » Sat, 23 Nov 2002 23:25:23

LOL pretty standard clue level then!
One workaround might be to plant a dummy file (some 0 byte thing or
MARKER.TXT or whatever you please) in each dir and disallow all access to
that file to everybody but Administrators.  That way when they do the
drag-and-drop the filesystem ACLs won't let the move happen.   Though they
might wind up moving *part* of the dir; I haven't tested this theory.  And
with large numbers of directories it can get a little unwieldy to manage....
I don't know of a way to allow full control on the files but not the
directory, sorry.

>> Are the users at the "clue level" where they immediately realize what
>> they've done?  If so, maybe let them know that pressing CTRL-Z (or
>> from Explorer, click Edit, Undo Move) will reverse the move
>> operation.
> Thanks Ned, but I'm not sure.  The suspected offenders are probably
> more at a "haven't a clue level"!

Folder Permissions - Read/Write/Delete but not delete or move folders

Post by James Sheeri » Sun, 24 Nov 2002 04:36:13

Quote:>One workaround might be to plant a dummy file (some 0 byte thing or
>MARKER.TXT or whatever you please) in each dir and disallow all access to
>that file to everybody but Administrators.

Sounds like that might work.  Thanks for the idea.  The only trouble is
the effort in setting it up, given the large number of  directories.
May be I'll give it a try next time I'm feeling industrious!

--
James Sheerin

Folder Permissions - Read/Write/Delete but not delete or move folders

Post by Ned Flander » Sun, 24 Nov 2002 06:02:53

I suppose you could batch it.
dir /ad /b /s >dirlist.txt
to get a listing of just the dirnames

for /f %%n in ('type dirlist.txt') do echo MarkerText >%%n\MARKER.TXT
for /f %%n in ('type dirlist.txt') do echo y | cacls %%n\MARKER.TXT /g
everyone:R

Still not sure if it would really work though!

>> One workaround might be to plant a dummy file (some 0 byte thing or
>> MARKER.TXT or whatever you please) in each dir and disallow all
>> access to that file to everybody but Administrators.

> Sounds like that might work.  Thanks for the idea.  The only trouble
> is the effort in setting it up, given the large number of
> directories. May be I'll give it a try next time I'm feeling
> industrious!

1. Deleting a Folder Containing Redirected User Folders when the User has been Deleted

Hello there

I've created a group policy to redirect user folders (Desktop,
Profile, My Documents etc.) in Win 2003.  I have logged on a three
test users and re-configured.  I have deleted these users from AD and
then attempted to clear up my User directories.

I get the message Access is Denied -- Make sure the disk is not full
or write protected.  I cannot sign in as the owning users because I
have deleted them.  I have attempted making the Administrator the
owner of the folders, but this does not work.

So my users have exclusive control over some folders, and I have
deleted these users.

Any suggestions for something that will force a delete, just to make
my filesystem tidy?

Regards

Ben

2. anybody tried this

3. Delete items in a folder without deleting the folder...

4. ss get and working project directory.

5. an inbox folder, write but not delete

6. Debugging a projekt

7. Folder permissions - delete option but full permissions on any files

8. permissions so that users can not delete files/folders

9. Can not delete folder because path too long-loopof folders inside floders

10. file permissions so that users can not delete files/folders

11. who knows how to give permissions to write into file but NOT delete it

12. Can't delete Parent Folder after deleting subdirectory