Norton Ghost backup question

Post by -keevill » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 13:45:09

I have approximately 40 workstations in my office all of which are Windows
2000 professional.  These days, every time I set up a new PC, I make on
Norton Ghost image and if anything goes wrong with the operating system or
if somebody installs some rubbish and the machine as a problem, all I do is
restore from the original image.  The only problem I have is when something
like the motherboard on a machine packs up and I am forced to purchase a new
motherboard (and usually a new CPU) and then of course, my Norton Ghost
image will not work because of the changed hardware.  I can get away with
its something like a graphics card or a network adapter card has been
changed but with something as important as a motherboard, it will not work.
Does anybody have any solution for this because I can see most of my
problems over the next year or so will be replacing CPU is which of course
involves replacing the motherboard.  Ideally, I would like to have one or
two standard images and just use these two set up any new machines or any
older machines which have gone wrong.

Post by Wolf Kirchmei » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 00:09:45

>then of course, my Norton Ghost
>image will not work because of the changed hardware.

The only simple solution I know of is a fresh install. If the workstation is
set up to save its data in a non-system partition or on the network, a fresh
install is the easiest method. If you have to salvage the workstation's data
before you reinstall, well, that's a problem. In that case, "migrating to new
hardware" might save you some headaches; I don't know, I've not had to do it
(yet). There's an article in MS's knowledge base on this, but I don't have
the URL handy. But IMO a fresh install is simpler. You'll almost certainly
have to find new drivers for some of the new hardware anyhow, so why go
through the hassle of uninstalling old drivers? That sometimes cause new
problems -- yecch ! You should be able to automate remote (over the network)
installation of the applications to the workstation.

HTH The rant below might be of interest. :-)

[Begin rant]

IMO, this quirk (sarcasm) of W2K is a serious design flaw. In fact, it's
positively stupid. There is no reason whatsoever why an OS should tie itself
so closely to the hardware that changing the hardware makes the OS
inoperable. It should always boot, regardless. If it happens not to have a
driver for, say, a given video card or chipset, it should at least be able to
run the video in plain vanilla VGA until you get a suitable driver. Same goes
for all the bits and pieces. There are plain vanilla standards for
everything, and the OS should default to those if it can't use the hardware
any other way. That way you can at least use the machine until you get the
updated drivers. (Actually, most of the hardware shouldn't need any drivers
at all - all we need are some standards for communicating with the hardware,
and smart hardware -- but that's another issue.)

I've seen posts on this issue so many times now that I wonder why people
actually willingly buy this OS, especially its server version, where this
design flaw will inevitably cause major expenditure of time (== dollars.)
IMO it's time for customers to dump it -- that's about the only way MS will
sit up and actually try to produce software that works as it should (as
contrasted with software that works as MS thinks it should.)

[End rant]

Best Wishes,

Wolf Kirchmeir
Blind River, Ontario

You can observe a lot by watching
(Yogi Berra, Phil. Em.)

Norton Ghost backup question

Post by Willie Rous » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 01:02:46

What if you came up in Safe Mode and changed out the
drivers??
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I have approximately 40 workstations in my office all of
which are Windows
>2000 professional.  These days, every time I set up a new
PC, I make on
>Norton Ghost image and if anything goes wrong with the
operating system or
>if somebody installs some rubbish and the machine as a

problem, all I do is
Quote:>restore from the original image.  The only problem I have
is when something
>like the motherboard on a machine packs up and I am

forced to purchase a new
Quote:>motherboard (and usually a new CPU) and then of course,
my Norton Ghost
>image will not work because of the changed hardware.  I
can get away with
>its something like a graphics card or a network adapter
card has been
>changed but with something as important as a motherboard,
it will not work.
>Does anybody have any solution for this because I can see
most of my
>problems over the next year or so will be replacing CPU
is which of course
>involves replacing the motherboard.  Ideally, I would
like to have one or
>two standard images and just use these two set up any new
machines or any
>older machines which have gone wrong.

>.

Norton Ghost backup question

Post by Jetr » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 01:33:58

Two approaches:
- use sysprep before imaging;
- patch the template system according to MS KB Q271965, which is unavailable
from the MS site :)

Norton Ghost backup question

Post by -keevill » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 10:32:32

I don't want to do a clean install just because I have changed the mainboard
or cpu. All the programs and settings can take several hours.
Data is stored on separate partitions of course.  (Or on a file server)
what exactly is sysprep?  I have heard of it and will now go to look but if
anybody has got some good resources on that I would be grateful.

> Two approaches:
> - use sysprep before imaging;
> - patch the template system according to MS KB Q271965, which is
> unavailable from the MS site :)

Norton Ghost backup question

Post by Jetr » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 14:24:28

You don't need to do a clean install. Sysprep (just search the Internet)
removes machine-related information from the registry. Patch I mentioned
adds to the registry some well-known chipsets settings and copies its
drivers to the disk.

Norton Ghost backup question

Post by -keevill » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 15:11:41

Forgive me if I'm being dumb but isn't Sysprep only for dealing with the
duplication of SID issues ?
Does it prepare the system also for changes such as I describe.i.e different
mainboard ?

> You don't need to do a clean install. Sysprep (just search the
> Internet) removes machine-related information from the registry.
> Patch I mentioned adds to the registry some well-known chipsets
> settings and copies its drivers to the disk.

Norton Ghost backup question

Post by Jetr » Fri, 31 Jan 2003 01:52:18

I said "search the Internet!" :)

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/pr...
ol/winxppro/reskit/prbc_cai_ltvh.asp Sysprep.

1. Norton Ghost PE - or some other system backup

I have Norton Ghost PE (Personal Edition), which is compatible with Win95/98
and NT (assumedly 4.0).

Anyone care to comment on compatibility with Windows 2000? As usual,
Symantec's support site info is vague, confusing, and muddled on this issue.
(They appear to be pushing Norton Ghost 6.03 as the ideal - but try to find
it anywhere. Besides, I just recently spent ca. $70 on Ghost PE while under
Win98, and I don't relish just tossing it out.)

My interest in Ghost is not for cloning a system to another. What I want is
to be able to store an image of C: (where everything is) on a separate
physical drive as a safety backup -- to use to restore a system either if it
gets hopelessly mucked up or if C: drive dies.

Right now, I'm flying without a safety net. I've given up on tape drives,
don't have a CD-R, and really like being able to use a second HD for safety
backup purposes.

--
David Aherne

2. NO ISP Support! <- Is this the end ??

3. Norton Ghost for backup of NTFS disk?

4. Seattle Local Phone Service Options

5. Ghosting using DOS with Norton. First time Ghosting

6. Canon Printers and Scanners

7. Norton Ghost 2003 cannot ghost the C drive of Windows 2k Advanced Server.

8. Is browsing _from_ Samba possible

9. Question about Norton Ghost 2001 and Win2k

10. 2000 Terminal Services license / Norton Ghost question

11. Question On Norton Ghost And NTFS Partitions

12. question norton ghost 5.1

13. OT: Norton Ghost Question ?