Windows 2000 - expand existing volume

Post by Barr » Thu, 06 Feb 2003 11:00:50

Help!
I need to expand an existing 2GB NTFS volume to 5GB's.
The existing 2GB volume is the C: drive on a 20GB laptop
with Windows 2000 Professional installed.
Expansion/Extension is possible using NT 4.0 with NTFS.
How do I do it using Windows 2000?
Do I need a Resource Kit?
Barry

Windows 2000 - expand existing volume

Post by Bjorn Landemo » Fri, 07 Feb 2003 05:09:26

Barry

You will need a third party application. Extending the system or boot
partition wasn't possible within NT4, and is not possible within Win2000 or
XP, either.

Check out www.partitionmagic.com

Best regards

Bjorn
--

Microsoft MVP - Windows Operating System

>Help!
>I need to expand an existing 2GB NTFS volume to 5GB's.
>The existing 2GB volume is the C: drive on a 20GB laptop
>with Windows 2000 Professional installed.
>Expansion/Extension is possible using NT 4.0 with NTFS.
>How do I do it using Windows 2000?
>Do I need a Resource Kit?
>Barry

Windows 2000 - expand existing volume

Post by R. C. Whit » Sat, 08 Feb 2003 02:20:33

Hi, Barry.

As Bjorn recommended, check out Partition Magic.  It's probably the best way
to go.

However, if you are determined - and if you have a second Win2K computer -
you can do it with Win2K alone.  Move the HD to the second computer as a
secondary drive; then your Drive C: will no longer be the system or boot
partition.  Use DiskPart /extend to grow your partition.  There must be
contiguous unallocated space, of course, and there are other gotchas, so be
sure to study the documentation for DiskPart in the Help File, Resource Kit
and other resources.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP

Quote:> Help!
> I need to expand an existing 2GB NTFS volume to 5GB's.
> The existing 2GB volume is the C: drive on a 20GB laptop
> with Windows 2000 Professional installed.
> Expansion/Extension is possible using NT 4.0 with NTFS.
> How do I do it using Windows 2000?
> Do I need a Resource Kit?
> Barry

1. Can I Expand An Existing Volume With A 2nd Drive Within Disk Management?

I have a problem.  Two of my servers are running out of
space.  These servers do not have RAID arrays; they are
simply using several scsi hard drives each.  Now, my
manager wants me to add an additional hard drive to each
(bringing the totals up to 3 drives per server).  Here's
the catch: he wants the existing volumes expanding onto
these additional drives, instead of setting up a
completely seperate partition or partitions.

I already know that the existing volumes must first be
converted to dynamic disks (they are already NTFS).  But
can they be expanded without being reformatted?

I have seen people expand volumes across multiple disks
before any data was written, but to do it while data
already exists is something I'm not so sure about.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

2. OpenVMS on PWS

3. Expanding logical drive in Windows 2000 on a Compaq Server

4. comp.protocols.ppp part2 of 8 of frequently wanted information

5. Expanding 2k system volume

6. Outlooks hangs on Exchange server connection

7. Expanding a Cluster Shared Volume

8. Deleting money and starting over

9. Adding Windows 2000 on IDE Raid to computer with existing Windows 98 SE

10. install windows 98 on existing windows 2000

11. Expand volumes on 2 disks

12. New Windows 2000 AD Server to replace existing Windows NT Server PDC

13. expanding a volume in w2k