Reinstall "internal" interface

Post by Jessica Ko » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi

Appreciate if someone can provide a smart idea for this.
I did a "stupid" thing when I deleted the internal interface.
Now, it is showing as enabled under Routing Interfaces but "Not available"
under General of IP Routing.

Is there some way I can reinstall it without reinstalling the whole W2k
server?  I'm toying the idea of doing an upgrade in hope to get it back.
Yes/No?

Thanks
Jessica

Reinstall "internal" interface

Post by Rowan Gillso » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Jessica,

Hav you thought about right clicking on the name of your RRAS server
in the MMC window and selecting "Disable Routing and Remote Access", wait
for it to finish it's thing then right click again and "Configure and Enable
Routing and Remote Access" and you can configure again without re-installing
W2K!!

Cheers,

Rowan  :)

Quote:> Hi

> Appreciate if someone can provide a smart idea for this.
> I did a "stupid" thing when I deleted the internal interface.
> Now, it is showing as enabled under Routing Interfaces but "Not available"
> under General of IP Routing.

> Is there some way I can reinstall it without reinstalling the whole W2k
> server?  I'm toying the idea of doing an upgrade in hope to get it back.
> Yes/No?

> Thanks
> Jessica

Reinstall "internal" interface

Post by Jessica Ko » Thu, 27 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Appreciate the reply but I'm sad to tell you that it didn't work.
It's still showing as "not available" under IP Routing/General.
Any other ideas?

Thanks

> Jessica,

> Hav you thought about right clicking on the name of your RRAS server
> in the MMC window and selecting "Disable Routing and Remote Access", wait
> for it to finish it's thing then right click again and "Configure and
Enable
> Routing and Remote Access" and you can configure again without
re-installing
> W2K!!

> Cheers,

> Rowan  :)

> > Hi

> > Appreciate if someone can provide a smart idea for this.
> > I did a "stupid" thing when I deleted the internal interface.
> > Now, it is showing as enabled under Routing Interfaces but "Not
available"
> > under General of IP Routing.

> > Is there some way I can reinstall it without reinstalling the whole W2k
> > server?  I'm toying the idea of doing an upgrade in hope to get it back.
> > Yes/No?

> > Thanks
> > Jessica

Reinstall "internal" interface

Post by Rowan Gillso » Fri, 28 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Are you sure that the NIC isn't disabled in your "Network and Dial-up
Connections"
screen?

Rowan  :)

> Appreciate the reply but I'm sad to tell you that it didn't work.
> It's still showing as "not available" under IP Routing/General.
> Any other ideas?

> Thanks

> > Jessica,

> > Hav you thought about right clicking on the name of your RRAS server
> > in the MMC window and selecting "Disable Routing and Remote Access",
wait
> > for it to finish it's thing then right click again and "Configure and
> Enable
> > Routing and Remote Access" and you can configure again without
> re-installing
> > W2K!!

> > Cheers,

> > Rowan  :)

> > > Hi

> > > Appreciate if someone can provide a smart idea for this.
> > > I did a "stupid" thing when I deleted the internal interface.
> > > Now, it is showing as enabled under Routing Interfaces but "Not
> available"
> > > under General of IP Routing.

> > > Is there some way I can reinstall it without reinstalling the whole
W2k
> > > server?  I'm toying the idea of doing an upgrade in hope to get it
back.
> > > Yes/No?

> > > Thanks
> > > Jessica

Reinstall "internal" interface

Post by Jessica Ko » Sat, 29 Jul 2000 04:00:00

The 2 NICs are enabled.
And traffic is being routed between the private network and Internet.
The internal interface is shown as enabled under Routing interface.
But this interface is shown as not available under IP routing/General.
Do you think it's advisable to do an upgrade of W2k to recover this
interface?

Jez

> Are you sure that the NIC isn't disabled in your "Network and Dial-up
> Connections"
> screen?

> Rowan  :)

> > Appreciate the reply but I'm sad to tell you that it didn't work.
> > It's still showing as "not available" under IP Routing/General.
> > Any other ideas?

> > Thanks

> > > Jessica,

> > > Hav you thought about right clicking on the name of your RRAS server
> > > in the MMC window and selecting "Disable Routing and Remote Access",
> wait
> > > for it to finish it's thing then right click again and "Configure and
> > Enable
> > > Routing and Remote Access" and you can configure again without
> > re-installing
> > > W2K!!

> > > Cheers,

> > > Rowan  :)

> > available"

> W2k
> back.

Reinstall "internal" interface

Post by Jeffrey Kir » Sat, 29 Jul 2000 04:00:00

It's probably not a problem. The interface doesn't get an IP until
someone connects and it grabs one from the pool or DHCP. And only then
if oyu're routing IP. If you only do IPX, it won't get an address
either.

Reinstall "internal" interface

Post by Jessica Ko » Sun, 30 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Thanks Jeffrey.
I've just discovered it when I managed to connect via VPN.

However, the VPN allows me to access the server that I'm connected to and
not the others in the private network.
I can see the other servers in window explorer but I am unable to access any
of the resources such as shared folders.
The routing table is setup to route to the connected server and 0.0.0.0 is
routing via the VPN connection.
Is it possible to access setup a different DHCP scopes for the VPN?
Will this resolve the problem of resources availability of the private
network's resources?
Appreciate your advice.

Jez

Quote:> It's probably not a problem. The interface doesn't get an IP until
> someone connects and it grabs one from the pool or DHCP. And only then
> if oyu're routing IP. If you only do IPX, it won't get an address
> either.

1. "Unable to add the interface Internal.." error finally solved, sorta... but....

Finally cured the:

Event Type:     Error
Event Source:   RemoteAccess
Event Category: None
Event ID:       20106
Date:           5/18/2000
Time:           9:49:43 AM
User:           N/A
Computer:       P2TWIN
Unable to add the interface Internal with the Router Manager for the IP
protocol. The following error occurred: The parameter is incorrect.

Data:
0000: 57 00 00 00               W...

...which appeared in my event log on every boot.  Did a search on the
Microsoft site for the 20106 error code and found a hint to enable the
computer as a Remote Access server (right click on Routing and Remote
Access in Computer managment and select Properties).  Voila.... the error
disappears from the Event log.... BUT.... now my modem answers every
incoming call, even if I have things set to deny connections for all but
one hour in the wee hours....  any hints???

2. LB taber

3. Workgroup Browsing Slows To Crawl When Remote Access ("Internal") Interface Enabled

4. folding text in the middle a line?

5. Slow Network Browsing When Remote Access "Internal" Interface Enabled

6. [Fwd: NN SOFTWARE?]

7. "Internal" interface not getting proper IP from DHCP... it used to though???

8. Chanel's Font

9. RemoteAccess problems with "Internal" interface

10. assign IP to "internal" interface of NAT?

11. Updating "Internal" Interface routes

12. NAT, IP Routing, Internal Interface "Not Available" ?