IPSec optimization questions

Post by Damien Daspi » Wed, 19 Apr 2000 04:00:00

We use VNC to remotely administer computers on our network.  We wish to
encrypt our VNC sessions so we are using IPSec which is built in to Windows
2000.  The only problem is that it is really slow.  Is there any way to
optimize IPSec?  Compression?  I know that with SSH you can enable
compression to speed up communications, but I would rather use IPSec since
it is integrated in to Windows 2000.

Damien Daspit

IPSec optimization questions

Post by Felipe Alfaro Solana [386702 » Wed, 19 Apr 2000 04:00:00

What is VNC?

Quote:> We use VNC to remotely administer computers on our network.  We wish to
> encrypt our VNC sessions so we are using IPSec which is built in to
Windows
> 2000.  The only problem is that it is really slow.  Is there any way to
> optimize IPSec?  Compression?  I know that with SSH you can enable
> compression to speed up communications, but I would rather use IPSec since
> it is integrated in to Windows 2000.

> Damien Daspit

IPSec optimization questions

Post by Bryc » Wed, 19 Apr 2000 04:00:00

    PC Anywhere on a budget:  http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/  It's
coolest features are that it is browser based, works with Macs, PCs, Linux,
& Unix, and it's free.

-Bryce

> What is VNC?

> > We use VNC to remotely administer computers on our network.  We wish to
> > encrypt our VNC sessions so we are using IPSec which is built in to
> Windows
> > 2000.  The only problem is that it is really slow.  Is there any way to
> > optimize IPSec?  Compression?  I know that with SSH you can enable
> > compression to speed up communications, but I would rather use IPSec
since
> > it is integrated in to Windows 2000.

> > Damien Daspit

IPSec optimization questions

Post by Andrej Budj » Wed, 19 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Try over in .security. Maybe some security expert will know...

Andrej
--
Andrej Budja, MCSE+I,  MVP

Quote:>We use VNC to remotely administer computers on our network.  We wish to
>encrypt our VNC sessions so we are using IPSec which is built in to Windows
>2000.  The only problem is that it is really slow.  Is there any way to
>optimize IPSec?  Compression?  I know that with SSH you can enable
>compression to speed up communications, but I would rather use IPSec since
>it is integrated in to Windows 2000.

>Damien Daspit

IPSec optimization questions

Post by Greg Aske » Thu, 20 Apr 2000 04:00:00

IPSec probably doesn't help the performance, but VNC is definitely a CPU
hog.
Try running perfmon or task manager on a host running VNC in an active
session.
pcANYWHERE is at least five times faster, and has less impact.

Quote:> We use VNC to remotely administer computers on our network.  We wish to
> encrypt our VNC sessions so we are using IPSec which is built in to
Windows
> 2000.  The only problem is that it is really slow.  Is there any way to
> optimize IPSec?  Compression?  I know that with SSH you can enable
> compression to speed up communications, but I would rather use IPSec since
> it is integrated in to Windows 2000.

> Damien Daspit

1. IPSec Optimization Questions

We use VNC to remotely administer computers on our network.  We wish to
encrypt our VNC sessions so we are using IPSec which is built in to Windows
2000.  The only problem is that it is really slow.  Is there any way to
optimize IPSec?  Compression?  I know that with SSH you can enable
compression to speed up communications, but I would rather use IPSec since
it is integrated in to Windows 2000.

Damien Daspit

2. Cannot target the PPC2002 emulator (x86)

3. XP IPSEC vs W2K IPSEC

4. Full backup question

5. main title

6. Visio 2000 Org Chart Excel Import Dilemna

7. Compression on Win2k IPSec and L2TP/IPSec

8. IPSec tunnel between Win2k's IPSec and WatchGuard Firebox II

9. XP IPSEC vs W2K IPSEC

10. combination IPSec[L2TP/VPN+Transport IPSec

11. Combination IPSec[VPN/L2TP+Transport IPSec]