Restricted user access to other user's files question

Restricted user access to other user's files question

Post by Gerry Kapla » Thu, 13 Jun 2002 14:30:58

I am trying to setup a Win2K machine that is part of a
workgroup. The workstation has several users on it, each
setup as "Restricted Users". According to the
description, a restricted user should not be able to have
access to other user's files, however there appears to be
nothing that prevents one user from traversing the
directory tree in Explorer and deleting files in another
user's "My Documents" folder.

How is this supposed to be setup so that one user cannot
delete or access files belonging to another user?

Thanks

Restricted user access to other user's files question

Post by Jerold Schulma » Thu, 13 Jun 2002 22:01:20

Quote:>I am trying to setup a Win2K machine that is part of a
>workgroup. The workstation has several users on it, each
>setup as "Restricted Users". According to the
>description, a restricted user should not be able to have
>access to other user's files, however there appears to be
>nothing that prevents one user from traversing the
>directory tree in Explorer and deleting files in another
>user's "My Documents" folder.

>How is this supposed to be setup so that one user cannot
>delete or access files belonging to another user?

>Thanks

Your NTFS permissions are improperly set, or your not using
NTFS.

Jerold Schulman
Windows Server MVP / Configuration Management
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

1. differences between 'standard user' and 'restricted user'

Is there a place that goes into significant detail about what the
'Standard User' and 'Restricted User' can and can't do?  I'm looking
for the level of detail like what parts of the registry each can
read/muck with, what each can/can't do to the various system level
subdirectories, and like that.

thx

LTho
Remove the .n.o.spam to reply

----------------------------
 Spam bait (With credit to E. Needham):

2. UPDATE and ORDER BY troubles

3. differences between 'standard user' and 'restricted user'?

4. Metrics for the Internet and IT

5. How to restrict user's access to the file system.

6. IR encoder/decoder

7. Restricted User still able to delete other user's files

8. monitor question

9. What is restricted if user has user access?

10. Restrict login to some users and allow to others

11. restrict user's access

12. Restricting user access to domain pc's

13. Restrict certain Users access to certain PC's