Office 97 on Win 2000 question

Post by <R> » Thu, 07 Mar 2002 02:34:59

I've got some clients who insist of having office 97 installed on Win 2000
desktops. I am aware from experience that restricted (ordinary) users cannot
use various office applications without making some permission changes on
some folders and in some cases on the registry. I hinted to the clients of
compatibility issues, but they have of course come back to me with
Microsoft's stand that Office 97 is compatible without need for any
additional configuration.

I have installed Office 97 on win 2k terminal server using the compatibility
scripts and that was a pain, is there a similar script for 2k professional,
or preferably, is anyone aware of an article originating from Microsoft that
advises against office 97 on 2k pro, or indeed a document detailing all the
additional configuration required to bypass the known issues.

thanks

Rizza

Office 97 on Win 2000 question

Post by Ray » Thu, 07 Mar 2002 04:36:19

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q169387

Ray

> I've got some clients who insist of having office 97 installed on Win 2000
> desktops. I am aware from experience that restricted (ordinary) users
cannot
> use various office applications without making some permission changes on
> some folders and in some cases on the registry. I hinted to the clients of
> compatibility issues, but they have of course come back to me with
> Microsoft's stand that Office 97 is compatible without need for any
> additional configuration.

> I have installed Office 97 on win 2k terminal server using the
compatibility
> scripts and that was a pain, is there a similar script for 2k
professional,
> or preferably, is anyone aware of an article originating from Microsoft
that
> advises against office 97 on 2k pro, or indeed a document detailing all
the
> additional configuration required to bypass the known issues.

> thanks

> Rizza

Office 97 on Win 2000 question

Post by Rizz » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 01:38:24

Thanks Ray, not quite what I was after, but still an excellent article
sufficient for my needs.

Rizza

> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q169387

> Ray

> > I've got some clients who insist of having office 97 installed on Win
2000
> > desktops. I am aware from experience that restricted (ordinary) users
> cannot
> > use various office applications without making some permission changes
on
> > some folders and in some cases on the registry. I hinted to the clients
of
> > compatibility issues, but they have of course come back to me with
> > Microsoft's stand that Office 97 is compatible without need for any
> > additional configuration.

> > I have installed Office 97 on win 2k terminal server using the
> compatibility
> > scripts and that was a pain, is there a similar script for 2k
> professional,
> > or preferably, is anyone aware of an article originating from Microsoft
> that
> > advises against office 97 on 2k pro, or indeed a document detailing all
> the
> > additional configuration required to bypass the known issues.

> > thanks

> > Rizza

Office 97 on Win 2000 question

Post by Ray » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 02:21:43

No problem. We do use Office 97 on 2K Pro, but we ended up having to give
everyone User (power user) rights because of all the little permission issue
that kept cropping up. Not the way we wanted to do it at all.

Ray

> Thanks Ray, not quite what I was after, but still an excellent article
> sufficient for my needs.

> Rizza

> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q169387

> > Ray

Quote:> > > I've got some clients who insist of having office 97 installed on Win
> 2000
> > > desktops. I am aware from experience that restricted (ordinary) users
> > cannot
> > > use various office applications without making some permission changes
> on
> > > some folders and in some cases on the registry. I hinted to the
clients
> of
> > > compatibility issues, but they have of course come back to me with
> > > Microsoft's stand that Office 97 is compatible without need for any
> > > additional configuration.

> > > I have installed Office 97 on win 2k terminal server using the
> > compatibility
> > > scripts and that was a pain, is there a similar script for 2k
> > professional,
> > > or preferably, is anyone aware of an article originating from
Microsoft
> > that
> > > advises against office 97 on 2k pro, or indeed a document detailing
all
> > the
> > > additional configuration required to bypass the known issues.

> > > thanks

> > > Rizza

1. Free Upgrade Office '97/2000 question

What is the difference in MS Office '97 Pro in the jewel case and a
retail version of Office Pro?  I was told the later qualified for a
free Office 2000 upgrade but I don't understand the difference as I
have to purchase either one.  Aren't they one in the same thing?

--

2. How to select this?

3. Upgrade from Office 97 -> Office 2000 sr1

4. Need Help Expanding My Network - A Little Long

5. Problem with Win 2000 and Office 97

6. Need 4.10 license

7. Office 97 on Win 2000: Which one has the problem?

8. Install Error

9. Problem with Win 2000 and Office 97

10. Can not install Office 97 Pro SR-2 on Win 2000 Pro

11. Win 2000 and Office 97

12. Can Office 97 & Office 2000 Co-exist

13. Office 2000 back to Office 97