HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO CHANGE THE DC?????

Post by Scot » Tue, 05 Nov 2002 09:08:13

Hello everyone. I am going nuts with this server. I keep
getting this error in the event log. Since it is a GC DC,
I know if no way to deal with this problem. Can someone
please help me???  See what you can make of this.

Event Type:     Warning
Event Source:   DNS
Event Category: None
Event ID:       414
Date:           11/3/2002
Time:           6:51:55 PM
User:           N/A
Computer:       2KSERVER
The DNS server machine currently has no DNS domain name.
Its DNS name is a single label hostname with no domain
(example:  "host" rather than "host.microsoft.com").

You might have forgotten to configure a primary DNS domain
for the server computer. For more information, see
either "DNS server log reference" or "To configure the
primary DNS suffix for a client computer" in the online
Help.

While the DNS server has only a single label name, all
zones created will have default records (SOA and NS)
created using only this single label name for the server's
hostname.  This can lead to incorrect and failed referrals
when clients and other DNS servers use these records to
locate this server by name.

To correct this problem:
  1) open ControlPanel
  2) open System applet
  3) select NetworkIdentification tab
  4) click the "Properties" button and enter a domain name
or workgroup name;  this name will be used as your DNS
domain name
  5) reboot to initialize with new domain name

After reboot, the DNS server will attempt to fix up
default records, substituting new DNS name of this server,
for old single label name.  However, you should review to
make sure zone's SOA and NS records now properly use
correct domain name of this server.

I have yet to find the help i need in either the Knowledge
Base or in the newsgroups just yet.  Please HELP! !

Thank you in advance for your time and advice.

Scott

HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO CHANGE THE DC?????

Post by Ace Fekay [MVP » Tue, 05 Nov 2002 14:43:34

Quote:> Hello everyone. I am going nuts with this server. I keep
> getting this error in the event log. Since it is a GC DC,
> I know if no way to deal with this problem. Can someone
> please help me???  See what you can make of this.

<snip>

Read the responses in your other thread below.

--
Ace
Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.

1. Well, What Am I Supposed to Do?

I used Dual Booting with Millenium &
Windows 2000. I cannot get to either one of
them!
I managed to format the Millenium partition,
but I have no access to the CD in order to
reinstall the Millenium. On the other hand,
because the dual booting does not work, I
cannot get to the Windows 2000 partition either.
Now, how can I get rid of the dual booting?
Where in the world is it?
I also want to get access to the CD-ROM. How
do I do this?
I cannot read the 2000 partition from the Millenium
login. Is this because the 2000 partition is NTFS
and the Milennium is FAT32?
What parameters should I add to MSCDEX to
be able to reach the CD-ROM from DOS?
Thanks!

2. UK Unit Trust

3. Only 1 Win2K DC in forest, but really need to change DC name

4. Automating deployment of service packs and patches through group policy

5. On wich DC am i authenticated ?

6. Contact

7. How can I know on which DC I am authenticating

8. GNU Compiler for PM Programming

9. Am I admin or am I not Admin, that is the question.

10. I am trying to protect my share folder with password....I am using WinXP OS.

11. I can't change Device IRQ even I am logged as administrator

12. Clock keeps changing to AM!

13. Win98se Freeze & Change bios date - I am 17 now!