Exact steps for 'Clean install' of win2k Server [from win2k pro]

Exact steps for 'Clean install' of win2k Server [from win2k pro]

Post by jaso » Sun, 25 Aug 2002 00:03:59

Can I bore the newgroup by asking for the exact steps to
do a 'clean
install' of win2k server over my win2k professional?

I am very green with regards software installation and
network issues and I want to get it
right the first time (I know, a dream!).  I find the MS
migration sites
confusing and sometimes completely intimidating. They seem
aimed at highly
experienced users for which I can understand.

But, I just need a server edition up and running with
minimal requirements and reestablish network connections
to an existing workgroup.  I will only be using the server
edition for development purposes - nothing else at the
moment!

These are the main questions that are plagueing me:

1. Can I start boot up disk from within win2k pro - will
the cd auto clean
harddrive?

2. I am mystified by partitions. I know that Server works
best with NTFS
right, but I don't know how to go about it. With the CD
provide a default I
can use and will this default - in your opinion - be
robust.  I will be
using sql server 2000, visual studio, photoshop - only for
dev. purposes.

3. I have hear of per seat etc - and that this will be
asked by what exactly
do I put here or what can of questions can I expect.?

4. I am currently part of a small company and belong to a
workgroup. I don't
really need the fancy functionality of DNS, Domains etc
(at least not yet -
i think!). I just need to the server up and running; get
my network and
dial-up settings reestablished.  What should I do during
the installation to
acheive this aim.  I am concerned about 'Domain'
vs 'Workgroup' questions  -
how do I approach this?

5. My computer currently has a name and is seen by the
network. Will I
assign the same name during installation or do I have to
do it later.
Relates to question 4.

6.  I am doing this on a IBM Thinkpad T23 Laptop with 20
Gigs space; 256 mb
ram; 1000 mhz cpu.  Are there any known issues with re:
installing win
SERVER.  Literture is scarce to non-existent. I have
posted this query on
the IBM site too.

7. Any other curve balls a 'green' installer should be
aware of

Your advice is very much appreciated and I'm sure their
are other newcomers
who would also welcome this focused advice.

Thanking you in advance
Jason

ps: I did find a good intro to this subject on:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/server/howtobuy/upgrad
ing/path/newinstall.asp

pps: here is question from another newsgroup which I
illustrates part of my problem - which option do I choose
during installation???..

PER SEAT / LICENSE
Can anyone tell me how to actually go about converting
licenses from per server to per seat?   Do I need to do
this on each Win2k server or just the DCs?  What about Win
NT boxes that are on the network in the Win2K AD domain?
Thanks.

Heres what they say I need and I appear to have:
System requriements:
Minimum Requirements
Computer/Processor 133 MHz or higher Pentium-compatible
CPU
Memory 256 megabytes (MB) of RAM recommended minimum [128
MB minimum supported; 4 gigabytes (GB) maximum]
Hard Disk 2 GB hard disk with a minimum of 1.0 GB free
space. (Additional free hard disk space is required if you
are installing over a network.)
CPU Support Windows 2000 Server supports up to four CPUs
on one machine

Exact steps for 'Clean install' of win2k Server [from win2k pro]

Post by Benn Wolf » Sun, 25 Aug 2002 06:22:19

Windows 2000 server will not install on a laptop.

Quote:> Can I bore the newgroup by asking for the exact steps to
> [...]

> licenses from per server to per seat?   Do I need to do
> this on each Win2k server or just the DCs?  What about Win
> NT boxes that are on the network in the Win2K AD domain?
> Thanks.

> Heres what they say I need and I appear to have:
> System requriements:
> Minimum Requirements
> Computer/Processor 133 MHz or higher Pentium-compatible
> CPU
> Memory 256 megabytes (MB) of RAM recommended minimum [128
> MB minimum supported; 4 gigabytes (GB) maximum]
> Hard Disk 2 GB hard disk with a minimum of 1.0 GB free
> space. (Additional free hard disk space is required if you
> are installing over a network.)
> CPU Support Windows 2000 Server supports up to four CPUs
> on one machine

Exact steps for 'Clean install' of win2k Server [from win2k pro]

Post by jaso » Mon, 26 Aug 2002 10:38:08

Hmmm. That is not the answer I was hoping for - can you
tell me why. I mean, my system seems strong enough:

cpu = 1000 mhz
ram = 256
Pentium III

Could you give me some further info on why a notepad would
crack under win2k server.....

Quote:>> ing/path/newinstall.asp

>> pps: here is question from another newsgroup which I
>> illustrates part of my problem - which option do I
choose
>> during installation???..

>> PER SEAT / LICENSE
>> Can anyone tell me how to actually go about converting
>> licenses from per server to per seat?   Do I need to do
>> this on each Win2k server or just the DCs?  What about
Win
>> NT boxes that are on the network in the Win2K AD domain?
>> Thanks.

>> Heres what they say I need and I appear to have:
>> System requriements:
>> Minimum Requirements
>> Computer/Processor 133 MHz or higher Pentium-compatible
>> CPU
>> Memory 256 megabytes (MB) of RAM recommended minimum
[128
>> MB minimum supported; 4 gigabytes (GB) maximum]
>> Hard Disk 2 GB hard disk with a minimum of 1.0 GB free
>> space. (Additional free hard disk space is required if
you
>> are installing over a network.)
>> CPU Support Windows 2000 Server supports up to four CPUs
>> on one machine

>.

Exact steps for 'Clean install' of win2k Server [from win2k pro]

Post by Medo » Fri, 06 Sep 2002 10:13:47

Hello,
        Win2000 server is not intended to be installed on  laptops, although
you have a laptop that has enough power to run win2000 server.
On the other hand, to ensure a proper installation of win2000 server on a PC
that has another version of  WIN installed on it, you should first format
your boot partition (C:\) where the new installation of  WIN2000 server will
reside.

                                         sincerely, Medo

> [...]

> during installation???..

> PER SEAT / LICENSE
> Can anyone tell me how to actually go about converting
> licenses from per server to per seat?   Do I need to do
> this on each Win2k server or just the DCs?  What about Win
> NT boxes that are on the network in the Win2K AD domain?
> Thanks.

> Heres what they say I need and I appear to have:
> System requriements:
> Minimum Requirements
> Computer/Processor 133 MHz or higher Pentium-compatible
> CPU
> Memory 256 megabytes (MB) of RAM recommended minimum [128
> MB minimum supported; 4 gigabytes (GB) maximum]
> Hard Disk 2 GB hard disk with a minimum of 1.0 GB free
> space. (Additional free hard disk space is required if you
> are installing over a network.)
> CPU Support Windows 2000 Server supports up to four CPUs

1. Exact 'clean install' steps for win2k SERVER [ from win2k]

Can I bore the newgroup by asking for the exact steps to do a 'clean
install' of win2k server over my win2k professional?

I am very green with regards software installation and I want to get it
[...]

2. Bugzero Bug Tracking System v2.0 released

3. Exact 'clean install" steps for win2kServer [over win pro]

4. Proxy to Proxy

5. Win2k Pro clean install...now printers don't work...

6. Sure shot for Business Analyst with Oracle UCM experience

7. Win2k Pro can't see the machine it's installed on

8. Amiga and Casio BOSS diary users?

9. 1 Win2K Server and 1 Win2K Pro can't see each other

10. Win2k-Pro to Win2k-Server... synchronize isn't working - help!

11. Can't Get Win2K Pro Clients To Join Win2k Server Domain

12. Win2k Pro can't connect to Win2k server?

13. Win2K pro can't see Win2k server