Sol.exe returns after deleting

Post by wayne shepher » Thu, 17 Jan 2002 23:17:06

Thought this was strange.  We don't want people to have
access to the default games on W2kPro systems.  Technet
article Q223182 is cool in that it tells you how to
prevent them from being added to the accessories menu.
However, when I look in %systemroot%\system32, I see
the "SOL.EXE" for solitaire.  When I delete the file, it
reappears!  Even when I empty the recycle bin! I know I
can "DENY" access to these game executables, by why are
they returning!  I looked in local policies, but I don't
see one, or did I miss it?

Trivial I know, but I must!

Wayne

Sol.exe returns after deleting

Post by Ricardo M. Urbano - W2K/NT4 MV » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 03:51:21

You are seeing the Windows File Protection in action.  It was designed
for users who accidentally delete files that they shouldn't.  It watches
over all files installed during W2K setup.

You can read up on it more in Windows help.

hth

--
Ricardo M. Urbano
Microsoft Windows 2000/NT MVP

Sol.exe returns after deleting

Post by Merlyn » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 03:17:45

Quote:>I know I
>can "DENY" access to these game executables, by why are
>they returning!  I looked in local policies, but I don't
>see one, or did I miss it?

Windows File Protection system protects Sol.exe

--
The Wiz-ard

1. Unable to delete sol.exe Keeps returning, HELP

It's probably officially classed as a system file, and Win200 keeps
restoring it.
If you really want shot of it, delete it from dllcache (I've seen it put in
there before  by the system) and the repair directory.

--
Ian Cowley
Christ's College, University of Cambridge

I am trying to delete sol.exe from our win2000 professional systems and
every time
I do it shows back up. We can delete other file types. Any help

Thanks in advance

2. Spectra International Inc. - Residual Gas Analyzers (RGA)

3. deleted sol.exe keeps reappearing

4. MIDI_MAPPER

5. General Protection Fault (from Sol.exe) in User.exe

6. XPath selection problem

7. Win2K, Sol.exe, & 100% CPU Utilization

8. SB16 driver crashes

9. Removal - Sol.exe

10. error message for sol.exe

11. General Protection Fault error in sol.exe

12. PROBLEM EXECUTING SOL.EXE

13. Sol.exe bug